Support VWWC

Thread: Appalling body repair

Users Country Flag

Appalling body repair

I had a small gouge in my rear bumper that I finally decided to get fixed. I had got a couple of quotes from body shop repair businesses that were in excess of $1000 then a colleague suggested that I contact the mobile repair guys. I got four quotes and went with one "Scratch Doctor" run by Tony. He seemed friendly and professional. On the day he took much longer than expected and after he left I noticed a speck the size of a small fly in the paint. Emailed him and got a reply a few days later saying that it was probably dust. Helpful.
    I moved to an apartment and can't wash my car (or haven't got myself organised to do so) and make use of the Scoopon deals to get it washed. After a recent wash the guy tells me some of the paint is matt and not glossy so he couldn't clean it that well. I checked and sure enough the rear half of the car from the bumper (which is glossy) to the middle of the two rear doors is matt to the touch. On both sides you can see what looks like a shadow of masking tape. Tony, the Scratch Doctor, has over-sprayed onto the car after he had removed part of the masking paper. It's not worth my time to contact this cowboy again.
    Looks like I'll need to get it re-polished / re-buffed.
    Just thought I'd give everyone a heads up.
    2010 | Mk 6 | Golf GTI | DSG | black | 18" Detroit's | MDI

Well that sux.

Get onto it with a claybar and you may be surprised how much comes off. They are quite good at pulling off over spray.

Sent from my Nexus 9 using Tapatalk
    Using Tapatalk

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Yes thanks. I was thinking of treating the swirl marks in the paintwork anyway so I'm thinking a re-buff may do it all in one shot.
    2010 | Mk 6 | Golf GTI | DSG | black | 18" Detroit's | MDI

Clay bar perfect for removing rust spots too. Cut away steel balastrade from my deck. Great light show at night for the kids. A few weeks later noticed specs on car. Rust spots everywhere. Hard to buff off with polish off. On no a respray??? Clay Bar worked perfectly. Seems grinding dust drifted in the evening breeze to shower my Polo. Rust spots was the grinding dust.

Sent from my D5503 using Tapatalk

Users Country Flag
    If you're trying to remove the overspray put some lacquer thinners on a rag and lightly wipe over it a few times. A body shop left spots of overspray on my Focus ST, lacquer thinners cleaned it right up. Test a small inconspicuous area first and wash the panels down when finished.
    MY18 Passat 206tsi R-Line | Harvard Blue | Wagon

I've owned some older cars with same issue - lots of overspray. It will depend how bad it is as to whether the clay bar will take it off or not, I;ve had some that its just too much for a claybar. Then Yes I would be going for a machine polish.
    Good luck - I hate it when stuff like that happens - not that it will change your life or anything but you kind of feel ripped off.
    '07 Touareg V6 TDI with air suspension
    '98 Mk3 Cabriolet 2.0 8V
    '99 A4 Quattro 1.8T