Page 38 of 38 FirstFirst ... 28363738

Thread: Queensland Raceway Happy Laps (v.5) 27th May 2012 (breakfast)

Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by THE_EGG View Post
    haha true, I just realised both peugeot's went off there. I'm guessing you saw the footage I uploaded?
    Yar Rhys good footage mate - it is great + Clays 2 - I'm in most of it. I have been watching a bit of youtube to workout how to take that corner a bit better - I was going way to wide in the first part (and not hitting the first apex) so there was no room for understeer which was a major problem on it. I think I must have not spun cause I just kept the foot of the gas when it came of. Next time I will try left foot breaking when it is understeering and loosing grip to try and get some more grip on it. Anyway it was heaps of fun and am thinking if doing a general practice session out there soon.

Cheers,

Jim

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by THE_EGG View Post
    haha true, I just realised both peugeot's went off there. I'm guessing you saw the footage I uploaded?

Me off twice as well....

Quote Originally Posted by JimmyC379 View Post
    Yar we don't want what happened to this Gemini to happen to us on that killer Peugeot unfriendly corner Gemini Car No.21 Rollover, Golden Holden 1 Hour, 2009 - YouTube
    I was on the grass in that area as I'm sure you all saw - And it was really really rough. Maybe they deliberatly plough it up to slow the cars that area traveling sideways?? ....although in the Gemini's case, he caught the edge of the ripple strip.

My main problem in that corner is "lift of oversteer". Most of the little pugs suffer from it. If we lift of the power into a commited corner - Your toast!
    Last edited by PugMonkey; 04-06-2012 at 02:30 PM.
    .... now watch a Peugeot turn into a corner !

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by JimmyC379 View Post
    Yar Rhys good footage mate - it is great + Clays 2 - I'm in most of it. I have been watching a bit of youtube to workout how to take that corner a bit better - I was going way to wide in the first part (and not hitting the first apex) so there was no room for understeer which was a major problem on it. I think I must have not spun cause I just kept the foot of the gas when it came of. Next time I will try left foot breaking when it is understeering and loosing grip to try and get some more grip on it. Anyway it was heaps of fun and am thinking if doing a general practice session out there soon.

Cheers,

Jim
    I found that slow-in, fast-out approach worked best for me. The GTI has a pretty awesome front diff which seems to pull out of the corners under power quite well. Although it probably explains why my front tyres are totally shot...
    His: F22 BMW M240i Coupe Hers: F56 Mini Cooper S JCW
    Previous:
    His:MY16 Scirocco R DSG - HP Stage 1, Racingline springs, RamAir CAI, MY11 Golf GTI Adidas DSG, APR st1, Carbonio Stage 1+2 intake, S2TPP shifters Hers: MY16 Polo GTI DSG, MY12 VW Up! 3 door manual

Quote Originally Posted by Tobes_WIR35 View Post
    I found that slow-in, fast-out approach worked best for me.
    You've hit the nail on the head. It's an off camber corner with dirt across the entry, could be due to the direction of the sprint circuit putting dirt across it. Best way to stop that - slow down on corner entry, brake straight, smooth steering and stop winding on lock once you've exceeded front end grip.

Best tip i've learnt is to look beyond the corner, let your peripheral vision pick the apex and corner exit marker of the current corner. As for where to look, be looking at where you want the car to be positioned once you've done the current corner, or as far through the current corner as possible. You'll find by looking through the corner and trusting peripherals, you'll balance the car much better, throttle and steering will be smoother as it's not as reactive. It may feel slower as you'll have more time, but your corner speeds will increase with confidence.
    Track Car: 06 Polo GTI Red Devil mkII
    Daily: 2010 VW Jetta Highline
    Gone but not forgotten: 08 Polo GTI
    ** All information I provide is probably incorrect until validated by someone else **

Users Country Flag
    I'm not sure whether APR stage 1 tune increases boost (I assume it does given the huge power increase over stock, and surge under boost) but I think either my wastegate or DV leaks somewhere near full boost. Sometimes under boost you can hear and feel it. Could also be something to do with the electronic throttle being silly. Not too sure, haven't really worried too much about it.
    Yes all tunes increase boost. Thats basically how they get more power, more air + more fuel = mor power. There are a lot of other parameters that come into like timing etc (although factory timing is very good). It doubt its your DV, its more likely to be your wastegate actuator, Ever here is flutter under boost? Its the factory boost controller going nuts trying to control boost. The factory actuators have a very weak spring in them (4psi) although completely different i currently run a 18.85 psi which allows me to control 25psi nicely.

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by Tarmac View Post
    i currently run a 18.85 psi which allows me to control 25psi nicely.
    What actuator are you running? I was told the Forge one is crap and the stock ones are more than capable of handling quite a lot of boost.

I've always thought I was losing boost at the top end and did use to hear the flutter, but haven't really noticed it for a while. Maybe I just got use to it.

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by Tarmac View Post
    Ever here is flutter under boost? Its the factory boost controller going nuts trying to control boost. The factory actuators have a very weak spring in them (4psi) although completely different i currently run a 18.85 psi which allows me to control 25psi nicely.
    Yeah that's exactly what it sounds like, your explanation makes perfect sense. Is it worth modifying or upgrading the actuator spring? I'd be concerned about warranty then though - if anything went wrong inside the engine I bet they would be blaming it on that.
    Previous:
    His:MY16 Scirocco R DSG - HP Stage 1, Racingline springs, RamAir CAI, MY11 Golf GTI Adidas DSG, APR st1, Carbonio Stage 1+2 intake, S2TPP shifters Hers: MY16 Polo GTI DSG, MY12 VW Up! 3 door manual

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by seangti View Post
    You've hit the nail on the head. It's an off camber corner with dirt across the entry, could be due to the direction of the sprint circuit putting dirt across it. Best way to stop that - slow down on corner entry, brake straight, smooth steering and stop winding on lock once you've exceeded front end grip.

Best tip i've learnt is to look beyond the corner, let your peripheral vision pick the apex and corner exit marker of the current corner. As for where to look, be looking at where you want the car to be positioned once you've done the current corner, or as far through the current corner as possible. You'll find by looking through the corner and trusting peripherals, you'll balance the car much better, throttle and steering will be smoother as it's not as reactive. It may feel slower as you'll have more time, but your corner speeds will increase with confidence.
    The only problem with my slow-in, fast-out was that I think a couple of guys in the 4WD cars (Audi S3 and WRX STI) were getting a little annoyed because whilst I was as quick/quicker than them on the straights, they were able to fly into those corners so they had to slow down for me. Not much I can do about that though, I can't beat the laws of physics So I had to overcome my ego, and slow down on some of the straights to let them past.
    Previous:

Users Country Flag

The only problem with my slow-in, fast-out was that I think a couple of guys in the 4WD cars (Audi S3 and WRX STI) were getting a little annoyed because whilst I was as quick/quicker than them on the straights, they were able to fly into those corners so they had to slow down for me. Not much I can do about that though, I can't beat the laws of physics So I had to overcome my ego, and slow down on some of the straights to let them past.
    Its alright, those AWD wasnt that quick in the concer. I often found them in the middle of the concer, but what you need to look out for is a Little FWD Black Box which can do concer in high speed and also come out in high speed.
    Car:
    2015 Tiguan 155 R-Line (Daily) APR Stage 1 / 2011 (Track Weapon) Banned from Happy Laps
    Ex Car:
    2015 Audi S1 - Stock ish. . . . . . / 2012 ABARTH 500 - Black with 300hp

Page 38 of 38 FirstFirst ... 28363738