Support VWWC

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 2012 VW Nationals Supersprint,

2012 VW Nationals Supersprint,

VW Nationals Supersprint

OK you supported the drags in Sydney and you survived, how about trying a Supersprint

Well its only 2 months away.... let the sledging begin. The event paperwork isnt quite ready yet but who is in? Birchall rang me the other day. Reckons he has grown an extra testicle and will be impossible to beat this year.

If you havent competed before here is a run down of the minimum requirements to run at the supersprint. If you are unsure about anything please ask. Nobody likes surprises on the morning of the event.

**WHAT IS IT???**
    A supersprint is where you enter the track in pairs with cars of similar speed. It is NOT a race. It is a time trial. The person with the fastest single lap time wins the class. You go out on the track from pit lane and have one warm up lap. Then you have 4 hot laps (8.8km) before a slowdown lap and exiting the track. Your time isnt the cumulative of the 4 laps but your fastest single lap. Its a great buzz to be out there going as fast as you dare with no chance of being arrested. Wakefield has masses of runoff area if you overdose on bravery yet run out of ability.

**DOCUMENTATION**
    To be eligible to compete in any (CAMS sanctioned) motorsport you need to be a member of a CAMS affiliated car club. If you are a VW owner you can join Club VW. !2 months membership is $47. If you dont have a VW I can sign you up for membership of Wollongong Sporting Car Club up to 31 December for $40. Of course you are more than welcome to join any other CAMS affiliated club near to you.

You will also need a CAMS level 2 speed licence, commonly known as an L2S. There are no driving tests or medical examinations required for an L2S. You need to download the form from the CAMS website http://www.cams.com.au/en/Forms/~/me...20Forms/Lv%202... Fill out the form with your personal details and medical declaration, then send off to CAMS along with a passport style photo and the appropriate fee. The L2S is not an indication of a persons ability to drive at speed, it is more a personal accident insurance policy. You should apply for your CAMS licence at least 4 weeks prior to your first event. If you havent submitted it 3 weeks before the event is is probably safer to purchase it through the club. When you rock up for an event you must have your membership card and licence with you in order to run.

**APPAREL**
    The following is the MINIMUM requirements on driver apparel as stated in our events standard supplementary regulations. It is recommended that you buy the highest quality race clothing and helmet that you can afford to enhance your safety when competing in motorsport.

a) a helmet that complies with AS1698 or better (as per the current CAMS Manual of Motorsport) and carries marking to that effect, or is otherwise specifically approved by CAMS.
    b) non-flammable clothing, including cover from throat to wrists to ankles (apparel of nylon or similar material is forbidden). Flame retardant overalls, or better, are highly recommended
    c) suitable flame retardant footwear (thongs, open sandals, high-heeled shoes and nylon joggers are forbidden), and
    d) in open cars, goggles or a visor with a lens material other than glass (to AS1609) are mandatory as are leather or Nomex gloves which entirely cover the hands.
    e) all driver helmets and apparel must comply with Schedule D of the CAMS Manual

**VEHICLE PREPARATION**
    All vehicles are catered for in our supersprint. There are separate classes for vehicles based on their level of modification (classes exist for unmodified vehicles) from lightly modified street cars, highly modified sports sedans, and purpose built open wheel race cars. Full details of vehicle categories is available to view at http://www.supersprints.com.au/rules...20Vehicle%20Re... Interstate visitors should note that these may be different to what you are used to running. The following is minimum standard for road registered vehicles (unregistered is stricter).

If your car is safe for road use then there shouldnt be any problem with preparing it for club level motorsport. There are again a few minimum requirements. You need to fit a 900g fire extinguisher. When you buy it pay attention to the mounting bracket. Most of these things are basically designed to hang the extinguisher on a kitchen wall. The CAMS regulations state that the bracket must withstand a 25G impact. If the bracket doesnt look like it could hold 25kg, you should choose another. You dont want to get hit with with a kilo of steel in an accident. There are CAMS approved ones out there that you can find through a search engine.

You need to mark your battery location with a blue triangle. Using blue electrical tape is acceptable for this. Numbers need to be put on both sides of the car. You can make numbers with tape, print numbers and tape them on the inside of windows, or paint it on with white boot polish. If you want to be really fancy of course you can buy vinyl stick on numbers.

As with driver apparel, it is recomended that you go beyond the minimum standards. enhance your safety in any way possible. Rollcages, race harnesses and window nets are significant safety improvements.
    Fan of anything with a VW or Audi badge, but I like my air with a dash of H2O

Hi Steve,
    Doesn't look like the L2S link works.

Think this is it, correct me if I'm wrong.
    http://www.cams.com.au/Members/Compe...tion_2010.ashx

I'll be running again, hopefully in something a little quicker this year.
    76 MkI 3 door - daily drive/project - 1.8 5speed
    76 MkI 3 door swallowtail - 16v track car
    76 MkI 3 door "long term" project

Users Country Flag
    I might fly down for the weekend.

Does anybody know if there is any kind of public transport to join the event as a spectat0r?

Users Country Flag
    pretty bummed that ill be missing this! My first overseas holiday in 4 years and I think my Mk2 will be ready as well which makes it worse! good luck guys

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by gecko2k View Post
    I might fly down for the weekend.

Does anybody know if there is any kind of public transport to join the event as a spectat0r?
    no reasonable transport options down there mate, best option is to get a lift with someone else heading down...

can't wait for this again, definately a highlight of my year! ahah
    78 2-door 1.8 KR 16v - twin dellorto's

Users Country Flag
    any other diesels want to run? otherwise i dont know what id be specced closely too, standard mk4 gti's perhaps? polo gtis? etc. would be heaps of fun.
    Scirocco R, APR 2+,VWR BBK,HP, QUAIFE, FORGE, VWR 18x9.

The cabby diesel will be there (If all goes well!)

Just done clubvw membership. The effort to get the car ready begins in the morning.

Can anyone explain the best way to go about getting the L2s license? Should I fill out the app form and sent it to CAMS now, or should I do it on the day (is that a bad idea - or is it even an option at this event?)
    '07 Touareg V6 TDI with air suspension
    '98 Mk3 Cabriolet 2.0 8V
    '99 A4 Quattro 1.8T

I would do it now, you should be able to on the day but it's a hassle for the organisers.
    76 MkI 3 door - daily drive/project - 1.8 5speed
    76 MkI 3 door swallowtail - 16v track car
    76 MkI 3 door "long term" project

Thanks Matt.
    '07 Touareg V6 TDI with air suspension
    '98 Mk3 Cabriolet 2.0 8V
    '99 A4 Quattro 1.8T

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast