Support VWWC

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Thread: 2012 VW Nationals Supersprint,

Quote Originally Posted by mikinoz View Post
    Paging Arno! We need an update brother.
    Car went really well Mick, the new motor is so much gruntier. The first session was so slippery it was all you could do to not spin. The second session the track started coming good and I knocked 1 second off my pb and I wasn't even giving it 10/10ths yet. In fact even my cool down lap where I was just holding a higher gear through corners, I got a better time than I used to get a couple of years ago Unfortunately that's where the day ended for me, I managed to pop a valve-stem oil seal so it was blowing oil out the breather under boost. Can't wait to see what the car will do once I get a proper full day.

There were 5-6 mk1's out there, including 3 yellow ones which made for a bit of confusion. Was the biggest mk1 turnout I have seen. The late-model stuff is getting quicker too, but hats off to that polo pulling 1:09's.

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by pog View Post
    It was so bad on the first session I almost lost it on the warm up lap moving side to side at ~60km/h!
    There's your problem - warm up weaving doesn't do anything except make you a hazard to others. You need real cornering to put heat into the tyres (and to clean them up if you have loads of pickup).
    Resident grumpy old fart
    VW - Metallic Paint, Radial Tyres, Laminated Windscreen, Electric Windows, VW Alloy Wheels, Variable Geometry Exhaust Driven Supercharger, Direct Unit Fuel Injection, Adiabatic Ignition, MacPherson Struts front, Torsion Beam rear, Coil Springs, Hydraulic Dampers, Front Anti-Roll Bar, Disc Brakes, Bosch ECU, ABS

Not from within the cabin, but I could hear the exhaust. It sounded angry lol. I was behind you in the Polo Cup Edition (white) - Car number 1 in one of the sessions.

Yeah Eddy and son, did exceptional times! The track was hard to get grip early morning, it was just cold and slightly wet with morning due on the track. It was so bad on the first session I almost lost it on the warm up lap moving side to side at ~60km/h! Weather was a bit all over the place but eventually it cleared up and everyone meant business there on after!
    Glad you liked the sound. As long as one person did it was worth the effort. It was just the rear muffler removed (front went long ago) and a Y extension splitting the 3" single into 2 x 3" at the back. All fun.
    Golf R RB 5D DSG
    Mods - Garage Door Opener, Chrome Mats, Fluffy Dice DSG Paddles

The track was hard to get grip early morning, it was just cold and slightly wet with morning due on the track. It was so bad on the first session I almost lost it on the warm up lap moving side to side at ~60km/h! Weather was a bit all over the place but eventually it cleared up and everyone meant business there on after!
    I saw that moment you had

That first session looked really hairy, so many people went off or spun.
    76 MkI 3 door - daily drive/project - 1.8 5speed
    76 MkI 3 door swallowtail - 16v track car
    76 MkI 3 door "long term" project

Quote Originally Posted by kaanage View Post
    There's your problem - warm up weaving doesn't do anything except make you a hazard to others. You need real cornering to put heat into the tyres (and to clean them up if you have loads of pickup).
    It was moreso to get a feel for the tyres and how they gripped the surface

It was slippery, but very happy to put the Polo in the 10's during the day Not bad against all those "big block" Polo's with those massive 1.8 motors now.

Users Country Flag
    It was moreso to get a feel for the tyres and how they gripped the surface
    Sorry, looking back I was a too strident with that post. I've just seen to many racing incidents (and almost been involved in a few) on warmup laps where competitors did the crazy zigzag thing.

I still think that you would be better feeling out the track by pushing at a slow corner (not hard to find those at Wakefield) rather than zigzagging as you need to hurl a car reasonably hard to break grip and forcing a transition mid turn is much more likely to produce sudden breakaway.
    Resident grumpy old fart
    VW - Metallic Paint, Radial Tyres, Laminated Windscreen, Electric Windows, VW Alloy Wheels, Variable Geometry Exhaust Driven Supercharger, Direct Unit Fuel Injection, Adiabatic Ignition, MacPherson Struts front, Torsion Beam rear, Coil Springs, Hydraulic Dampers, Front Anti-Roll Bar, Disc Brakes, Bosch ECU, ABS

Quote Originally Posted by MACCAA View Post
    Kerkers are father and son.
    Eddy[father] has done a great job developing that Polo for about six years from back when I had one.
    That's a seriously quick laptime for a 9n Polo GTI with 138kw at the front wheels....
    Exceptional driving by Eddy to comprehensively flog his son by .0464 of a second!
    Cheers
    Len
    Hoyhoy.

Thank you Len, thats a very nice comment from ya.
    Hooroo.

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789