Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: 2012 VW Nationals Supersprint,

Quote Originally Posted by VdubEd View Post
    I'm keen to bring the Mk1 Cabriolet along. What are the rules with clothing.... do you have to have a race suit or can you just wear "non flamable clothing"? And can you just rent helmets from the Wakefeild Park on the day rather than buying one? Thanks
    With clothes, you have to have long sleeves and long pants. The first post has the details - you're not meant to wear nylon or polyester and last year I did have a pretty strict scrutineer who asked (though thankfully didn't make me display the tag).

With helmets, I wouldn't rely on being able to hire them. At other circuit club days I have seen the office opened with helmets presumably for hire, but I don't think it was opened on the VW day. Also remember fire extinguisher, no oil leaks, brake lights and indicators working, nothing loose or obviously dodgy. And bring a belt or rope and say that is your secondary bonnet restraint, they ask but don't seem to enforce that you have one on.

Users Country Flag
    Jeans and a long sleeve cotton shirt are fine. Just spend the $65 for a cheapish open face helmet as you'll more than likely want to do ut again.

Also the CAMS manual has been updated on 2012 to say that a 2 stage bonnet release (usually a cabin pull and then a release at the bonnet) is fine for non-racing speed events.
    Resident grumpy old fart
    VW - Metallic Paint, Radial Tyres, Laminated Windscreen, Electric Windows, VW Alloy Wheels, Variable Geometry Exhaust Driven Supercharger, Direct Unit Fuel Injection, Adiabatic Ignition, MacPherson Struts front, Torsion Beam rear, Coil Springs, Hydraulic Dampers, Front Anti-Roll Bar, Disc Brakes, Bosch ECU, ABS

Dad may bring up the Mk1 again this year.

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by Water Boy View Post
    It's a must!
    78 2-door 1.8 KR 16v - twin dellorto's

I'm still in but the clock is ticking! I'm chasing a clutch slipping problem but have a fresh flywheel to install this weekend so hopefully that will sort it in time (will have to run it in as its freshly machined).

It would be great to have a few mk1's going around... and the thought of 2 cabriolets - phew!
    '07 Touareg V6 TDI with air suspension
    '98 Mk3 Cabriolet 2.0 8V
    '99 A4 Quattro 1.8T

Quote Originally Posted by Water Boy View Post
    Great, will be good to see your old man there again. I'll have to get some more pointers on tyre pressures/temps I don't know if Stephen's bathurst golf is going to make it this year, your dad's car and it were a perfect match, within a couple of tenths.

Quote Originally Posted by pog View Post
    Any Polo GTI's want to represent here? Bfeboi, Eddy .. hello?!
    Hoyhoy.

I would love to, but need some certain wheels, which I can't see getting before then.
    Hooroo.

Quote Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
    Hoyhoy.

I would love to, but need some certain wheels, which I can't see getting before then.
    Why certain wheels? Run stock, still fun

I've already contacted the event secretary (awaiting response) but can anyone here help me with a paperwork problem I'm having? I have read through all of the CAMS regulations but I still have no idea what class I should be entering my cabriolet into -

Bodywork : stock
    Suspension: within the limits for the modified production class
    Engine: stock was a 1.8l kjet petrol, I have now got a 1.9L turbodiesel with FMIC. No electronic engine management system. Boost pressure is not stock.

The CAMS regulations seem to have been written in the late 80's or 90's and dont even mention diesel or how that affects displacement etc (if at all).

Anyone got any idea?

(PS, I knew someone once that told me CAMS mean "Confederation Against Motor Sports"...... maybe this is why?
    '98 Mk3 Cabriolet 2.0 8V
    '99 A4 Quattro 1.8T

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by gldgti View Post
    Why certain wheels? Run stock, still fun
    Eddy's rather more serious about this sort of thing than most of us - he doesn't like the tyres that are still available to suit the wheels that he has (Bridgestone RE55's are no longer available for the fitment he needs).

Quote Originally Posted by gldgti View Post
    The CAMS regulations seem to have been written in the late 80's or 90's and dont even mention diesel or how that affects displacement etc (if at all).
    Turbocharging give diesels a 1.5 mulitplier vs actual capacity which is why my 1.9 TDi is in the same class as a Porsche GT3

Naturally aspirated diesels get a 0.7 mulitplier vs actual capacity
    Resident grumpy old fart
    VW - Metallic Paint, Radial Tyres, Laminated Windscreen, Electric Windows, VW Alloy Wheels, Variable Geometry Exhaust Driven Supercharger, Direct Unit Fuel Injection, Adiabatic Ignition, MacPherson Struts front, Torsion Beam rear, Coil Springs, Hydraulic Dampers, Front Anti-Roll Bar, Disc Brakes, Bosch ECU, ABS

right, ok. so my multiplier is 1.5.....

ahh well, I never wanted to win anything anyway, as long as I get to go out on the track with cars of similar pace.
    '98 Mk3 Cabriolet 2.0 8V
    '99 A4 Quattro 1.8T

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast