Support VWWC

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Replacing D1S globe

Users Country Flag Thread Starter

I changed my globes over today. Was doing a brake inspection and thought it might be worth removing the wheel liner to get in there. Worked a treat and I was able to remove the globe that way. After doing it I now realize it is possible to change the globe without removing any other parts. The braided wire that connects to the ballast of the globe is secured to the side of the projector housing by weaving through 3 plastic tabs sticking off the housing. Remove the braided wire from that weave and it instantly gives you the key centimetres you need to remove the globe. FYI good luck getting your hands back in there to put the braided wire back in place.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Users Country Flag
    I also have a 2010 Passat CC and had to get a HID front low beam globe replaced. I bought the globe, unscrewed the large cover (battery disconnected just in case), but for the life of me was unable to remove the braided connector and then extract the globe (globe is integral with ballast). I was getting new tyres at KMart and mentioned the globe to the manager (bloke from UK who knew VWs well) - he took the globe from me and replaced it - the whole action took 3 minutes max and he only used his hands - albeit fairly small hands! No charge at all! One workshop said he'd have to remove the front wheel arch liner and it would take over an hour and cost $160 (he would use my already purchased globe)!!! Another workshop similar thing! Bollocks! When you think about it, why provide a screw cap cover if you can't remove it by hand? As I said, 3 minute job, but I just didn't have the knack!

Users Country Flag

Can now remove and replace D1S globes on CC with small flat blade screwdriver to assist with removing braided wire plug on underside. Took several minutes per globe. Easy once you have the knack! Car mechanic had previously quoted $160 to change a globe (I supplied the globe) - said front-end had to come off to get access! Anyway, complete rubbish, why have access caps if you don't use them? I just wish VW had allowed more hand access to change these D1S globes - fortunately first change in 8 years!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12