Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Passat CC (2009) - Can't change dipped beam HID (D1S) globe

Users Country Flag Thread Starter

That's what I thought! I also recall seeing a mechanic change it without removing the headlight assembly. There has to be a way! Small dextrous hands maybe? Special tool??? Special technique? I'm almost there, so, so close, just can't get that bloody connector off the bottom! I'll try a watchmaker's screwdriver to try and lever off the connector. Hardly any room in there though - modern cars just not made for DIY maintenance!

Does anyone know if there is a knack to doing this or a little "trick" I'm not aware of?
    Last edited by DeepBlue; 28-11-2016 at 11:10 AM.

Users Country Flag
    His hands were definitely smaller than mine, I have tried so many times without success... He charged me $30 for replacing the bulb
    Last edited by Vexed; 28-11-2016 at 11:18 AM.

Might have to end up taking the globe to a mechanic and asking him/her to change it for me (really just need to get old one out, putting the new one in should be a cinch). Prefer to do myself seeing I'm so close! Expect the mechanic will do it behind a curtain - don't want the ordinary folk learning their secrets!

Infuriating! Still no good... Doing a transmission service and will come back to this later. Can't believe how this is so tricky!

Done! Went to KMart Tyre & Auto for a wheel alignment. D1S HID globe was in its box in the glovebox so I just happened to ask the workshop manager if he could have a go. He did it in 5 minutes - no charge! His hands were definitely small and he said he wiggled off the connector at the bottom, then undid the restraining clip and removed the globe!

So obviously, no need to remove grille and bumper to pull out headlight assembly. Auto electrician had told me he would have to remove the bumper and grille and it would cost $100!

Thanks KMart Tyre & Auto!

Users Country Flag
    Well done

Changed passenger side D1S globe yesterday - "simples"! Car in driveway for several hours + light switch in Off position and obviously ignition off and keys safely put out of harm's way; didn't disconnect battery as I didn't want the airbag warning light to come on! Anyway, safety glasses and latex gloves for safety's sake. Unscrewed large black plastic cap; used small flat blade screwdriver to just gently lever the plug off underneath the igniter part of the globe - did this by feel and felt the plug just slip off as I levered lightly around one end of the plug; then undid the wire clips at each side (just push in and towards the middle); then turned the igniter base to the fender side 1/8 of a turn and gently pulled it out! Easy! Then put new globe gently in; secured both wire clips and re-attached the plug at the bottom. All good - no noticeable difference in light intensity even though installed c.8 months apart. Purchased Narva globes (Part No. 49304) from Bursons and Ashdown Ingram respectively - the Narva packaged globes are Osram; main thing is to use the same Kelvin rating globe (35W of course) if you can.
    Last edited by DeepBlue; 18-08-2018 at 05:02 PM.

Have changed most globes now on Passat CC - just hoping another D1S globe blows so I can change it - a piece of cake when you have "the knack"!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123