Thread: HELP! Looking for part number

Users Country Flag

HELP! Looking for part number

I have a coolant leak - only minor, but a leak nonetheless and it's making a mess.

I've identified where the leak is but can't find the part number and I've browsed so many websites looking for it. There is a coolant pipe that runs from the firewall (I'm assuming for the heater core?) to the rear of the engine block - directly under the intake pipe that runs from the air box to the intake.

Anyway, clamps are fine. The leak is actually coming from where the fitting mounts to the back of the engine. It appears to be a plastic piece, attached with 2 torx bolts, using a gasket or o-ring(?).

See picture attached to reference what I am trying to explain.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails HELP! Looking for part number-img_1178-jpg  

Users Country Flag
    Outlet is 03H121145A, retails at around $40.

O-ring is 03H121041B, retails for less than $10.

VW only, from what I've found. Like most late-gen VR6 parts.

I replace them at least once a month on the numerous R36s I've got on the books. You might as well replace the coolant while you're at it. Super-important to keep the coolant fresh on these, due to the cast iron block. Once it's diluted close to the point of being straight water, it just turns to mud, and you'll have a cow of a time trying to flush it out.
    '07 Transporter 1.9 TDI
    '01 Beetle 2.0

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    You're a legend. I didn't expect anyone to point me in the right direction let alone provide the part numbers right there! Cheers

I suppose it's one of the many design flaws? And yes, I've already decided to change it over. Is G12 coolant available anywhere else except with VW only?

Users Country Flag
    Penrite does an approved pink coolant.

VW Coolant isn't that dear. I think it's around $25 for a 1.5L bottle.

The issue with the outlet is that the flange warps over time, and eventually leaks.
    '07 Transporter 1.9 TDI
    '01 Beetle 2.0

Users Country Flag
    Umai Naa!! replaced this on mine a few weeks back when he also installed my B7 ABS module.
    Note that I needed just over 5L of coolant as after using all of a 5L bottle of pre-mixed coolant and a day of driving to let the bubbles work their way back to the reservoir the low coolant warning came on and I needed to just top up with about 500mL.
    2011 Skoda Octavia vRS TDI DSG wagon|Revo Stage 1|Race Blue|Leather|Dynamic Xenons w 6000K|9w7 BT|THA475 Amp+active sub|Whiteline ALK|RVC|
    2009 R36 wagon|Biscay Blue|RVC|Tailgate|ECU and DSG tune|LED DRL/Indicators|3D colour cluster|Quad LED tail rings|Climatronics upgrade|Dynaudio retrofit|B7 RLine Flat Steering Wheel|3AA CCM|TPMS Direct|B7 Adaptive Cruise with Front Assist|Discover Media retrofit|PLA 2.0|Lane Assist|BCM retrofit|High Beam Assist|DQ500

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Awesome work! Thanks for the help. I've ordered the parts + 3 litres of coolant from VW. I'll just pick up some distilled water from Big W or something.

Is there anything special I need to do to flush the system? It is a VW after all and I don't feel like screwing anything up. While I'm at it, should I replace the thermostat too even if there isn't anything wrong with it? Like a 'just in case' replacement?

Users Country Flag
    Thermostat is buried on these. I'd probably leave it.

Draining the coolant is fairly easy. Pull the temp sensor out of the radiator, and bombs away.
    '07 Transporter 1.9 TDI
    '01 Beetle 2.0

Users Country Flag

Just went through this myself too! Was a pain when it was happening, but thankfully cheap to replace the pipe. Seems we are having similar issues Sean
    2009 CC 3.6