Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: GPS antenna

Users Country Flag

GPS antenna

Plenty of info around for the Golf on this.. Not a lot for the CC. Is the GPS antenna located behind the dash or in the shark fin antenna or elsewhere? I believe the car was optioned with an RNS-510 from factory so based on that and what I've read (about other VW models) it would be in the shark fin. But who knows, should never just assume.

My GPS signal is placing me about 100 metres behind where I actually am in the navigation software.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Users Country Flag
    As far as my knowledge goes the GPS receiver is in the shark fin antenna but only CC's optioned with gps come with the shark fin antenna, those which do not have a rns510 from factory don't have a shark fin.

So if your car doesn't have a shark fin but does have gps, someone retro fitted the gps unit and they would of used a aftermarket GPS receiver which may be located in a bad spot, reducing signal strength on the Gps fix.

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Well I definitely have a factory shark fin antenna so that will rule out any inspection I was going to do myself.. I have the most up to date RNS software and nav software installed. Maybe a hard reset might be worth trying..

Users Country Flag
    I have seen the tracking issue with mine before also, but it usually comes good after driving shortly

I just did some research using Carsales.. All CC's without factory installed RNS-510 have no shark fin antenna, those that do have one. Interesting.

Users Country Flag
    Dial down the right hand knob to 25m and see how it goes.

I have found that it is usually hopelessly out and tells you to "Turn here" anything up to 50m before the actual corner. Is so bad it told me to turn up a street that was close to the one I wanted but was incorrect.
    Whereas the Tomtom I also have tells you about 15m before the corner.
    2021 Kamiq LE 110 , Moon White, BV cameras F & B
    Mamba Ebike to replace Tiguan

Seems my issue is the opposite to what you're experiencing. I am basically at or past the turn when it tells me to turn and the little blip on the screen is about 25 metres away from the turn. It's not a huge issue because I don't follow the voice guidance only, I always check the map on the screen but it's frustrating.

Users Country Flag
    Dial it out the other way then and see what happens It says the scale in bottom right corner
    2021 Kamiq LE 110 , Moon White, BV cameras F & B
    Mamba Ebike to replace Tiguan

Users Country Flag
    Next time you don't get a proper gps fix, see what's going on by pressing the extras button on the map screen and then change the view to the gps viewer.

It will show how many satellites it has access to and what kind of fix it has,
    2d/3D ect

Users Country Flag

For example:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast