Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: GPS antenna

Users Country Flag Thread Starter

GPS antenna

I eventually ended up with 11/11 satellites with it occasionally dropping to 10/11. I might do a software update and reinstall the maps software

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Users Country Flag
    Looks alright as it has a 3D fix

Users Country Flag

The number of satellites you've acquired only tells part of the story.

To establish whether your GPS is working as it should be, you could try parking at the end of a cul de sac or road which has nothing around in 360degrees and at least a clear 360degree arc from at least say 10degrees from the horizon to true zenith.

leave GPS on and running for at least 15 minutes to establish good solid lock.

Since you're at the end of a cul de sac or road, you should be able to orientate yourself relative to where the road ends. If the position you're in matches what's displayed on GPS then the problem isn't the GPS. Your experience with the "errors" in position would be what is commonly referred to "multipath error" caused by GPS signals being deflected off tall buildings/structures, interference from tall trees etc before being received by your GPS unit, which consequently causes your GPS unit to calculate your position incorrectly.

Sometimes when I'm driving in the CBD surrounded by extremely tall buildings eg. Cnr William St and St Georges Tce in Perth, my GPS can indicate a position 30 - 50m ahead or behind, and on a few occasions, show my position as being on a parallel street!

Admittedly this only happens when I start up and immediately head off from my office underground car park thus not giving the GPS unit a chance to either acquire a signal lock or let the gyroscopic components fire up and provide an accurate position from last known fix.
    Last edited by Eaglen00b; 21-03-2017 at 01:21 AM.

1981 Honda Civic hatch. Proper AUTO REVERSE cassette player. AM/FM with Stereo speakers. Four (yep, FOUR!) speed manual. Full cloth trim seats. HALOGEN lightbulbs! Factory options fitted: rear wipers and washer, "Go Fast" wheel covers & electric front windows.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12