Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: DSG reverse issue: do I get it checked out?

DSG reverse issue: do I get it checked out?

Its almost 3 years since I purchased my CC, has been very reliable. Still under warranty but this runs out in a few months.

I have noticed however that sometimes when selecting reverse (particularly in a rush), the DSG seems to go into neutral and refuses to reverse. I have worked out that if I shut the engine off and restart the car, the DSG operates flawlessly once again (a bit like a computer reboot!) Its actually amazing how many niggles a "reboot" seems to solve!

I intended to speak to my VW dealer about this before the warranty runs out. However my DSG otherwise works perfectly and I am of the view that if something ain't broke, you don't muck with it.

So, my questions are:

1. Has anyone else noticed an issue with the DSG failing to reverse sometimes?
    2. Should I take the car into service to check out the DSG or am I just giving them an excuse to "muck with it"?
    MY10 Passat CC V6 - RNS510, GPS, RVC, self park, dynaudio, cooling seats!

Quote Originally Posted by Leagle View Post
    Its almost 3 years since I purchased my CC, has been very reliable. Still under warranty but this runs out in a few months.

I have noticed however that sometimes when selecting reverse (particularly in a rush), the DSG seems to go into neutral and refuses to reverse. I have worked out that if I shut the engine off and restart the car, the DSG operates flawlessly once again (a bit like a computer reboot!) Its actually amazing how many niggles a "reboot" seems to solve!

I intended to speak to my VW dealer about this before the warranty runs out. However my DSG otherwise works perfectly and I am of the view that if something ain't broke, you don't muck with it.

So, my questions are:

2. Should I take the car into service to check out the DSG or am I just giving them an excuse to "muck with it"?
    Ok no replies but I now do have an update for all those who are afflicted with similar issues. It seems that the DSG was indeed playing up. Fixed under warranty.

Ok no replies but I now do have an update for all those who are afflicted with similar issues. It seems that the DSG was indeed playing up. Fixed under warranty.
    Good resolution. Certainly doesn't sound like it was normal behaviour.
    2008 MkV Volkswagen Golf R32 DSG
    2005 MkV Volkswagen Golf 2.0 FSI Auto
    Sold: 2015 8V Audi S3 Sedan Manual
    Sold: 2010 MkVI Volkswagen Golf GTI DSG

Users Country Flag

What was the problem, i have the same thing happening with my 09 CC and i'm terrified because it is off warranty

Quote Originally Posted by Chekara View Post
    What was the problem, i have the same thing happening with my 09 CC and i'm terrified because it is off warranty
    DSG needed to be fixed (clutch plate I think). Works great now. Apparently I get 2 years warranty for the fix (though have also purchased extended warranty for peace of mind for next 2 years).

Users Country Flag
    I have had the same issue come up. The ACC turns off, including my Front Assist and then a check engine (yellow) light comes on.
    Regards,
    Windy.K. 2012.

MY09 Passat CC V6 FSI 4Motion | Black | Cream/Black Leather | Adaptive Cruise | Adaptive Chassis | RCD510

Users Country Flag
    Had this light come on whilst under warranty ('09 Passat CC Diesel with DSG) - only came on when reverse gear selected on some occasions and "clutch slipped" (engine would rev and car seemed to be in neutral); I would turn off the engine and then turn it on again and all would be fine apart from the fact that the check engine (yellow) light would now be on!

Volkswagen dealer said it was the mechatronics unit but couldn't explain anything beyond that - they replaced the mechatronics unit under warranty. Later it happened again - this time dealer mechanic fixed it in a very short span of time ( < 1 hour) - said that transmission just needed fine adjustment (from memory he said he "tightened it up"?). Couple of years later the check engine (yellow) light came on again - this time dealer rep said I would need a new DPF and it would cost outrageous $$$$s! Started taking car for longer runs (had been doing a lot of short trips and this likely resulted in DPF starting to clog) and put additive in diesel to clean the DPF - no problems since! All a bit mysterious - obviously the check engine light is triggered by many potential problems.

Five years after I had the mechatronics unit replaced the light came on yesterday when the vehicle didn't properly engage reverse!

Users Country Flag
    Had the same issue with my 2010 CC, reverse gear wouldn't engage as if it was in neutral, only way around it was switch off engine then on back again. No engine or any other lights on the cluster. the car had around 90,000 KM on the odometer. It turned out to be "worn out clutches". I paid $700 for a clutch pack replacement with a good will repair from VWA.

Users Country Flag

So, my questions are:

I had the same problem selecting Reverse. If car was in Drive (D1 gear) and then braking and going direct into Reverse gear from Drive in order to either parallel park or do a 3-point-turn, then it wouldn't find Reverse gear (engine revs and no reverse gear selected). I would have to go via Park: Drive (D1) --> Park --> Reverse: that would work each time! Alternatively, I could just turn off the ignition, re-start the car and then select Reverse again - that would also work. If I started the car and went straight to Reverse to reverse out of the driveway from a standing start then that was no problem either. Problem only seemed to be the direct transition from Drive (D1) to Reverse.

Anyway took car to Daley Prestige Auto in Moorabbin (highly recommend) to have the 6-spd DSG serviced. Lo and behold - DSG fluid level was 1.8 L shy of where it should have been likely due to a small (unnoticed) leak. Level now back to c.5L (with new Penrite fluid) and new filter. All good now - goes straight from Drive (D1) to Reverse every time - issue completely gone! Also, the amber Engine Management Light is now gone and no longer comes on at all (seemed to come on and stay on for a while when the Reverse gear didn't select in the past). I presume the gear selection problem was fluid level related and likely insufficient hydraulic pressure?

So, not a problem with mechatronics unit or double clutches - simple, fluid too low! Pity the damn car doesn't have a dip stick for the transmission!!!
    Last edited by Deep Blue; 20-05-2017 at 03:32 PM.

Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by DeepBlue View Post
    Had this light come on whilst under warranty ('09 Passat CC Diesel with DSG) - only came on when reverse gear selected on some occasions and "clutch slipped" (engine would rev and car seemed to be in neutral); I would turn off the engine and then turn it on again and all would be fine apart from the fact that the check engine (yellow) light would now be on!

Volkswagen dealer said it was the mechatronics unit but couldn't explain anything beyond that - they replaced the mechatronics unit under warranty. Later it happened again - this time dealer mechanic fixed it in a very short span of time ( < 1 hour) - said that transmission just needed fine adjustment (from memory he said he "tightened it up"?). Couple of years later the check engine (yellow) light came on again - this time dealer rep said I would need a new DPF and it would cost outrageous $$$$s! Started taking car for longer runs (had been doing a lot of short trips and this likely resulted in DPF starting to clog) and put additive in diesel to clean the DPF - no problems since! All a bit mysterious - obviously the check engine light is triggered by many potential problems.

Five years after I had the mechatronics unit replaced the light came on yesterday when the vehicle didn't properly engage reverse!
    Ultimately, early 2018, I had a new dual clutch installed. Selects reverse no problems now every time and even noticed more (transmitted) power - all good now! Dual clutch 8 years old - guess it has to wear down a bit; the low transmission fluid level I had for some time could have been a mitigating factor in the dual clutch wear though. Before replacing the dual clutch I did a transmission fluid and filter change and the issues with reverse went a way for a while only to return - hence new dual clutch.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast