Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: DSG Problem, Car won't go into reverse

Users Country Flag

Is your DSG fluid level okay? I was told - "you need a new clutch pack, new mechatronics unit is the go, new transmission is the best way forward!"

All wrong (in my case anyway)! Don't trust (VW) dealers - they like to take the easy and big $s way out. Anyway, unnoticed small transmission leak had resulted in fluid level dropping (1.8L lost!) over a fairly long period of time and then an annoying problem with reverse gear selection and a fair bit of clunking! Problems all well and truly gone now for the sake of a basic transmission service (5L of Penrite transmission fluid, and a new filter, in there now). Always go down the simplest and cheapest route first!

Users Country Flag

Well, it's now Jan 2018. Problem came back late Dec 2017, and this time worse - difficulty selecting reverse and the associated clunking; then, early Jan 2018 car wouldn't go - towed to Volkspower in Burwood! Anyway, I have read enough to suspect the dual clutch and that's what the problem was (small chance of mechatronics issue - but since ruled out - already on second mechatronics unit - original replaced under warranty).

Dual clutch replacement required - ouch! Well, bit the bullet with new dual clutch and also had the timing belt service done (new timing belt, water pump and latest coolant-G14). Like a new car and with more power! Thanks to the team at Volkspower - so far, very pleased with the result.

Spoke to a VW parts salesperson at a VW dealership and he said VW are working on changes to the dual clutch to make a more durable/reliable retrofit? Will wait and see!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234