Thread: Tuning options/advice for Golf 103 TDI MK6

Tuning options/advice for Golf 103 TDI MK6

Hi all

Im new to the forums
    Just got myself a secondhand mk6 golf tdi and would like to ask about tuning options.
    From what ive read theres 2 types of tuning.

1) Flash (CPU/Bluefin/etc)
    2) Tune box/piggyback (Dtuk/chipexpress)

Im more towards a tune box (Dtuk) as its about half the price of a custom tune.

However, from researching (forums) it seems a Tune box would perform 90-95% of a custom tune and consumes more fuel. But on Dtuk they claim up to 20% more fuel efficient.

In the real world is that true?
    Any reviews?

Thanks
    Mark

Users Country Flag
    Hey mate,

I've been on the hunt for a 103TDI tune for a while, so just thought i'd give this thread a bump and dump some info i've found. Have a quick flick through my thread here on VWWG: TDI Tuning - Viezu vs Tarmac etc

There doesn't seem to be much interest, it's all about the GTIs and Rs in the enthusiast space, but anyways.

There are a bunch of companies that do TDI tunes, most will have dealers around Australia.

You'll find that most tunes will be roughly the same figures, ~103kw -> 125kw and 320nm -> 380-420nm. This is because the Turbo is the limiting factor, and most tuning companies sit around here as it seems to be the sweet spot, the turbo is still in the efficiency band, within operating spec, etc etc. Most tuners/owners i've talked to seem to think that it makes the engine a lot more nicer to drive, more usable day to day, more mid and early range power, etc etc, so definitely seems worth doing. There are a few Dyno charts floating around, Golf Girl on the forums has an RD Technik tune on hers and posted a chart, for your information.

You'll also find that if you have a DSG, you'll hit the Torque limiter (350nm soft limit), so may need to do the DSG tune to alleviate that. The feedback i've seen falls in 2 camps, either its the best thing ever and to definitely do it, or 'eh', do the Engine tune first and see how it goes. Most DSG tunes seem to make the changes faster, lifts the torque limiter and raises shift points both in D and S, to make them more usable/less jerky and less clutch slip.

So in my research i've found:

Revo Technik (UK Based, OBD Flash, ECU and DSG).
    RD Technik (Australian Based, Tuner/Programmers, they do their programming in APR style software, Can do either OBD flash or Piggyback box, and they do DSG as well - They recommends piggyback, more expensive but removable and seems to get better results (??) - Supported by Greg from Carformance in Brisbane, also a forum sponsor (??), as well as others around the place).
    Tarmac Engineering (Australian/Brisbane based, OBD Dongle, OBD DSG tune, Ben is a forum sponsor at VWWG)
    Viezu (UK based, OBD flash, ECU and DSG used to be well supported but seems there are less dealers around these days)
    Custom Code (UK based, Bench ECU tune and OBD DSG tune, Gavin is the local dealer in QLD and is a forum sponsor).
    Recode Tuning (Sydney based, no further information since they're not local for me, I believe they're forum sponsors too)
    Superchips BlueFin (UK based, OBD Dongle)

There a few others as well that I haven't looked into (HP, for example, deals Eurodyne, I believe, even though they are an APR dealer, for whatever reason, but are fairly expensive), not sure who else to look at.

In the USA there is also Malone Tuning, which is apparently the beezkneez, but they are a US company, so not much hope getting that over here.

So yea, i'm still absolutely stumped as to who to go for. So many companies, and they all seem to offer similar numbers. Guess it really comes down to price and local support/warranty.

Hope this helps, and definitely let us know how you go! I'll update you if/when I end up doing something with mine.
    Last edited by gavs; 08-04-2015 at 03:05 PM. Reason: Inaccurate information

Users Country Flag

Thanks for the mention Moda

Picking a tune is a tough choice.

I've had the RD Technik tune to my 2012 Golf Mk6 103TDI (ECU and DSG). It was a on the bench tune as it cannot be done by OBD. I was told that it was not an easy job because to get to the ECU quite a bit had to be removed before it could be reached.

All power increase will be similar so it will usually come down to price and service.

I do not regret my choice for one second. It has made a huge change in the feel of my car and I love it. Puts a smile on my face at every set of red traffic lights

When doing my research on tunes another good brand is: Oettinger. Not the cheapest but seems to be the TDI version of APR. Well it's who APR suggested when I asked them who did TDI's.

Have a look at my build (in my signature), or look at my review:
    Review: RD Technik Stage 1 tune - ECU & DSG - 2012 Golf MK6 103TDI
    Last edited by gavs; 08-04-2015 at 03:06 PM. Reason: Inaccurate information