DNA Tuning (Australia)

Thread: How to tell if already ecu tuned? / P3cars gauge 0-100 accuracy

How to tell if already ecu tuned? / P3cars gauge 0-100 accuracy

Hi all,

Had my Tiguan a while now, and recently installed a p3cars gauge.

I've used the 0-100 timer a few times now, and have had times of around 5.6 seconds (well below the normal 155tsi time).

Is it possible my car has been tuned and the previous owner didn't mention it?

No performance mods yet except for a gfb bov and lowering springs.

Any good way to tell?

Cheers.
    2012 155TSI Tiguan - 19" Porsche Macan Wheels, Eibach Springs, GFB DV+, LED Headlights, LED Taillights, P3Cars Gauge, Hardwired V1

Users Country Flag
    Are you using the vehicle's speed output for the gauge? If so, you are probably well under 100kph when it reads that.

From the ADRs, a speedo must always read 'safe', meaning the vehicle's true speed must not be higher than the speed indicated by the speedo. The speedo must not indicate a speed less than the vehicle’s true speed or a speed greater than the vehicle’s true speed by an amount more than 10 percent plus 4 km/h. So if a vehicle travelling at a true speed of 100km/h, the speedo must read between 100km/h and 114km/h. Another way of looking at this is if the speedo indicates a speed of 100km/h, the vehicle's true speed must be between 87.3 km/h and 100km/h.

Users Country Flag
    Peak boost is a better indicator of being tuned. Find out what that is and do some more research.

Speed output is one of the options on the gauge, and it always reads around 4-6 km/h lower than the cars digital readout. So I assume it uses that figure.

Yeah I've tried to find out what the standard peak boost is but had no luck, I'll check what boost mine is displaying on my way to work
    From memory, I think it shows 10psi.
    Last edited by easybarge; 29-08-2016 at 09:37 AM.
    2012 155TSI Tiguan - 19" Porsche Macan Wheels, Eibach Springs, GFB DV+, LED Headlights, LED Taillights, P3Cars Gauge, Hardwired V1

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by easybarge View Post
    Speed output is one of the options on the gauge, and it always reads around 4-6 km/h lower than the cars digital readout. So I assume it uses that figure.

Yeah I've tried to find out what the standard peak boost is but had no luck, I'll check what boost mine is displaying on my way to work
    From memory, I think it shows 10psi.
    Thats not tuned at 10PSI

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by h100vw View Post
    Thats not tuned at 10PSI
    ^ true. They run around 10PSI stock. If you see around 17-18PSI then its been tuned.
    2017 Ford Fiesta ST
    2015 Audi SQ5 bi-turbo V6 TDI family hauler

Quote Originally Posted by easybarge View Post
    The P3 gauge is pretty useless really. It reads the vehicle speed from the CAN bus, so whilst it's more accurate than the instrumentation (which has a degree of error introduced), it's still affected by a host of issues like speedo calibration, tyre pressures, inflation and wear, wheel size, etc etc. There can also be a significant delay between when you actually start moving and when the bus records a change from 0km/h. For proper accuracy you need to go with a GPS-based timing device (like a VBox); otherwise allow a margin for error of up to 10%.
    2008 MkV Volkswagen Golf R32 DSG
    2005 MkV Volkswagen Golf 2.0 FSI Auto
    Sold: 2015 8V Audi S3 Sedan Manual
    Sold: 2010 MkVI Volkswagen Golf GTI DSG

Quote Originally Posted by AdamD View Post
    The P3 gauge is pretty useless really. It reads the vehicle speed from the CAN bus, so whilst it's more accurate than the instrumentation (which has a degree of error introduced), it's still affected by a host of issues like speedo calibration, tyre pressures, inflation and wear, wheel size, etc etc. There can also be a significant delay between when you actually start moving and when the bus records a change from 0km/h. For proper accuracy you need to go with a GPS-based timing device (like a VBox); otherwise allow a margin for error of up to 10%.
    Thanks all, yeah I'll take the readings with a grain of salt.

Users Country Flag
    Even 5.6 seconds + 10% is a quick time for a stock Tiguan isn't it?
    His: F22 BMW M240i Coupe Hers: F56 Mini Cooper S JCW
    Previous:
    His:MY16 Scirocco R DSG - HP Stage 1, Racingline springs, RamAir CAI, MY11 Golf GTI Adidas DSG, APR st1, Carbonio Stage 1+2 intake, S2TPP shifters Hers: MY16 Polo GTI DSG, MY12 VW Up! 3 door manual

Users Country Flag

Maybe it's getting dodgy time inputs too.