Hi there,

I got HP's DQ200 remap done on my Audi A1 and yes it cost a bucket load but it's given me peace of mind to support the rest of the mods I've had done to the car.

If I hadn't modded the car, I'd have taken a different approach and been hounding Audi about the 1st-2nd gear issue, and probably just lived with it and whinged to anyone who'd listen.

But even after a stage 1 tune and intake the car was squirming as it bumped against the torque limiter. D was too sloppy to deal with the higher performance and S mode just wanted to thrash everything to redline.

It was explained to me the there's just a couple of units setup to do the job, they're worth many thousands of dollars each, and it's as simple as it being a low volume product and they're recouping a combination of the R&D costs plus the hardware costs for the units that can read/write your DSG. HP basically send the units around the country to their partner tuners in express post bags when a customer books a DSG tune.

A higher volume product and the price would come down, but it remains niche. I don't have any figures to back it up, maybe Guy will chime in one day, but I'd guess less than 1 in 20 people who get a Stage 1 tune would get their DSG done too.

So, my TLDR version - are you going to otherwise tune & mod the car? Then maybe do the DSG.
Otherwise, it's a lot of money I grant you. Do you have paddle shift? Use that more. Drive it in semi-auto