Support VWWC

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: APR Tuned Vehicles - Question for you

Users Country Flag

APR Tuned Vehicles - Question for you

I'm wondering if anyone else has noticed the same glitch in their APR tune when it comes to traction control.

In short, if you have your foot flat to the floor and the traction control feels the need to intervene the boost drops off to regain traction as expected, but if you stay on it and keep the pedal on the floor the boost doesn't seem to come back to tuned levels but rather only stock levels (according to the boost gauge I had installed).

When graphed I would expect it to look something like this for boost over time:

The easiest way to demonstrate this is to go into a round about hard and flick the steering hard enough to light up traction control. You immediately feel the car drop power (for half a second) to gain traction then try to come back on boost... but if you stay on it feels like it's missing a noticeable amount of power. Cycling the throttle off for a second then back on and it's back to pulling as hard as it should.

Has anyone else, especially those in the Golf 118 or Polo GTI noticed this behaviour?

If it has an engine or heartbeat it's going to cost you. | Refer a Friend - AussieBroadband $50 Credit

APR Tuned Vehicles - Question for you

Yep, I have the same thing. Very annoying!
    MY20 Golf GTI TCR
    MY20.5 LR Defender P400 HSE

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Glad to hear it's not just me, would be very interested to hear from anyone else with the issue.

If it has an engine or heartbeat it's going to cost you. | Refer a Friend - AussieBroadband $50 Credit

I control traction with my right foot so never noticed, but from your roundabout test it sounds more like ESP you're talking about.

It very well may be ESP, the roundabout test is just an easy way to replicate the problem on the road.

I find that the ESP off button only dumbs the whole thing down, so at high speed when taking a sweeping corner it gets all concerned and flashes anyway and causes the drop in boost with no return till you cycle the throttle. The first time I *really* noticed it was doing the Shannons 1000, screaming down the runway (dead straight) the ground wasn't 100% flat or the wind maybe was getting under the car lightening it up... in any case, drop in boost, lack of acceleration = sad Hawk.

It seems like the "normal" part of the tune is re-written but the sub routine handling traction control (or whatever it is) is stock so doesn't know about the changes.

Where it really shines (or should I say sucks) is when on a track and taking a high speed corner

Aaron,

If you can VCDS log it - put boost vs throttle percentage - I think you will find the ESP is holding the throttle percentage back (even though your right foot is requesting 100% throttle )

Or just add the load or throttle position to your main PolarFIS screen

Users Country Flag
    I have no tune in my gti and it does the same once ESP/TC kicks in you loose gusto after.
    MY16 Candy white Octavia VRS Wagon, sunroof, 19" black pack, tech pack, comfort pack, auto tail gate
    MY12.5 Polo 6R GTI

What if you turn off the ESP?

Interesting... I was playing with VCDS after Guy pointed me at this page for the Golf R:

MK6 Golf R ESP/ESC Defeat

A quick poke and recode and I'm very pleased to report that pressing the ASR button does what it always has, but holding the button now brings up a "ESC Off" message on the screen

I can't really test things properly until I get out on a track with a bit of space to properly get into it, but a quick roundabout test seems that with ESC off things work how they are supposed to with no loss of power

Code:
    For reference (and mostly for me if I need it in the future):

My old Coding:  16 3B 60 0D 09 22 00 FF 68 13 06 E8 90 1A 00 80 31 00 00
    My new Coding:  16 3B 60 0D 09 22 80 FF 68 13 06 E8 90 1A 01 80 31 00 00

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast