Thread: 2008 Golf Mk5 gti - 3 inch Down Dump Pipe

Users Country Flag

2008 Golf Mk5 gti - 3 inch Down Dump Pipe

Hi all
    Forgive my ignorance in this post, it's been years since I did any mods to a car.
    I was browsing Gumtree yesterday and saw an ad for someone selling a 3 inch dump pipe which then tapers back to the stock back section, it was $250 so have made a few enquiries.
    I need it fitting and tuning which i have no idea how much this will cost, any ideas or recommendations in Perth?
    Has anyone down this mod?
    What changes did you notice?
    Is it worthwhile?
    I don't plan to pour thousands of dollars in the car but thought this might be a nice tweak which would change the exhaust note and give a little increase in power.
    I was recommended to get a stage 2 tune, what does that involve?
    Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.
    cheers
    Pete

Users Country Flag
    I did this on my Jetta when the cat died. You could fit it yourself in a few hours, the turbo bolts are the trickiest bit to do.
    Given the price this pipe will not have a very high spec cat in it so you will get a warning light from it. I have used a spacer to avoid it, but you have to mess around a bit as too long a spacer it complains of running rich, too short or none complains of poor cat efficiency. I found the sweet spot and no issues since.
    My car in not tuned, the new pipe makes a bit more noise but not much, car feels a little bit more grunty but could be the noise, or could be the old cat was restricting.

If you go an get a tune the emissions check can be coded out and no warnings ever again.
    When it comes to performance tunes do some homework, there are many discussions on the forums.
    MK4 GTI - Sold
    MK5 Jetta Turbo - Sold
    MK5 Jetta 2.Slow - Until it dies.

Users Country Flag Thread Starter

Many thanks JustCrusin, I appreciate the response