DNA Tuning (Australia)

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: 118TSI Forged Piston Engine Rebuild

Quote Originally Posted by rygreen93 View Post
    Yep so started it up this morning and it's 100% the supercharger. The small belt runs and when I put my hands over the pod filter to increase the pressure you can clearly hear it pull harder to bring in the required amount of air. Must be exactly what you said blower. It's using it to heat up the cat. While the supercharger is running like that the revs are about 1100 and as soon as it shuts down it drops to 800-900. Weird that nobody else has this. Would be interesting to know someone else with a 2012 twincharger or even a newer beetle to know if it does the same.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk
    I have a 2012 jetta twincharger and I've never heard mine do this

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Users Country Flag
    Very interesting thread, I have bought myself a broken CAVD engine to collect parts for building a new engine, as mine has got 332000kms on it. Still pulls hard and sounds good, but time is no longer on its side.
    However, I would like to mention that the cylinderwalls of these engines are coated, and this coating will be gone with a rebore, and thus taking away a freat deal of the strength and friction of the walls.

Users Country Flag
    Wow 300+k kms! Did you ever have trouble with it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Users Country Flag
    Not really, The car har 332000kms, engine 310000 roughly. Changed injectors once around 70000, and turbo at 280000, because the exhaust blow -by valve was worn out and did'nt close,but that's about it.
    Transmission (DSG q200) has given me far more trouble than the engine, Replaced clutches and flywheels twice. Never replaced timingchain.
    I think the secret to a long life is frequent oil changes.
    I started out with Motul Excess 5w-40, ran this for some years, and changed to Total Quarts 5w40 and used this for a few years ( 2009 my scirocco).
    Also tried both Castrol and Mobil 1, but oil consumpsion was high with these brands. Just started to use Fuchs GTI 5w40 last week, just to see how it works. I change oil every 10000kms, and rarely have to top up, except from in wintertime.
    I run NGK BKR7EIX plugs, and supersprint decat exhaust.
    Upgrading to S3 intercooler, new airintake and Revo chip, hopefully in April or May.....

The plasma coating can be re applied after a re-bore. I know there are folks in the UK that offer this service...

Plasma coatings provide a robust solution to managing friction for cylinder bores - Surface Technology

I've never heard of a bored CAVD engine failing through the cylinder wall and never heard of a forged piston failing in one.

Interested to hear how you go with the REVO stage 2 map. I run the APR stage 2 file with a turbo back milltek, K&N air box, S3 intercooler, NGK BKR7EIX. I get boost limp occasionally but it is cleared by re setting the map mode.

Please let us know how you go! Not many people talk about tuning these anymore.

Users Country Flag
    I will keep you posted...

Users Country Flag
    hey guys, so i have recently done the same thing too my mk6 golf 118tsi cavd i have done the whole processes myself, did you install the pistons yourself, if so what did you set the ring end gaps ?
    as i have pretty much put the car back together and i think i f'd up the gap.

Quote Originally Posted by RMayzu View Post
    hey guys, so i have recently done the same thing too my mk6 golf 118tsi cavd i have done the whole processes myself, did you install the pistons yourself, if so what did you set the ring end gaps ?
    Not sure mate, sorry. You may have better luck asking around the European Scirocco forums and Seat Cupra forums. There were way more twinchargers over there.

Guy with the username Blower would be a good guy to ask. He used to post here but haven't seen him round much. I think he's on Scirocco Central more frequently.

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by RMayzu View Post
    VW official specs for ring gap on 1.4 TSI CAVD/CTHD:

118TSI Forged Piston Engine Rebuild-image1-jpg

Users Country Flag

hey thanks for that i have the full workshop manual(same as you posted)
    but what i don't understand is that everything i read and watch about ring gaps say.... that number x the bore size.
    now my understanding is wouldn't the workshop manual not just state the size it should be.

wossner's installation instructions state 0.006" (0.1524mm) x bore (76.5mm) or (3.011811")

so my calculations say the ring gap should be 0.018" or 0.46mm

i have read wiseco ring gap instructions a few other mobs but vw workshop manual does not state number x bore just a single measurement.

does anyone know which is correct ?

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast