Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: 118TSI Forged Piston Engine Rebuild

Users Country Flag Thread Starter

Sorry to hear that Ryan!!!

If the pistons are cracked but haven't scratched the block then you can just buy the wossner pistons in the standard size and you won't need any boring of the block. These are cheaper than the OEM pistons and obviously much better.

It cost me $7500 for the full rebuild of the engine including cleaning everything out, boring and engineering and putting everything back together. So far no issues with the engine and it is very smooth.

I believe that you could get it for 5k. I would make sure that you replace the timing chain as it is a small cost and will be replaced by a newer version. You might as well do all the plugs etc at the same time.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

Wossner Pistons for USD 634: VW Golf TFSI 1.4Ltr. - Scirocco TFSI 1.4Ltr - Forged Piston Parts

Double check the part numbers though.

I reckon you could get away with it for about 3 grand or even less if the block isn't scoured. Even if it is slightly scraped, a 1mm bore increase still gets you the 77mm Wossner.

EDIT: Some of the latest 118 TSI blow ups have been getting quotes of sub $3k for a used engine swap too FYI.
    Last edited by Mk R; 11-10-2016 at 12:26 PM.

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan_R View Post
    Looks like I'll be going down the new piston route as well (not by choice).
    These posts still scare me. How many km's were you up to Ryan? Any warning signs? or just BAM?!

If it has an engine or heartbeat it's going to cost you. | Refer a Friend - AussieBroadband $50 Credit

Thanks lads

Main issues were misfires under supercharger load at first. Situation improved dramatically with new ignition coils but that was only for a couple of weeks. Suddenly misfires became much worse. I was hoping it was just spark plugs needing replacement as well. Weekend before last it surprised me how much oil it used (it would normally go between services with no top-ups required), and after topping up I did notice a little smoke the next day.

The car is with Dean Coutts who recommends replacing parts as required with new OEM. He mentioned some better parts are available for $300 less all up (not a huge discount from total price) but they take much longer to arrive. He also advises replacing timing chain, etc while working on it.

I know a couple of others who can help source and fit second hand CAVD engines (although demand seems to outweigh supply as you might expect), probably 1k cheaper than a rebuild but a temporary situation.

I've had a chat to a Dealer Principal who has suggested getting his senior tech to look at it (while nice enough on the phone I suspect it's more to satisfy their curiosity than help me out too much), but I have mentioned that I've influenced family to purchase Golf's there and would look at trading up in order to get rid of the car quicker.

I've asked Dean to stop work for now until I explore the third option (these cars seem hard to sell privately). I'm not expecting any trade in offer at all to be honest but even if I get a low ball offer I might be tempted just to see an end to this episode.
    The real shame is that for months I've not found another car that appeals as much as mine. Wrong colour (black), wrong options, too many kms, visibly not looked after, etc. I'll be on the motorbike a lot more this month anyway, hopefully the weather stays nice.

Users Country Flag
    Greeting Guys I'm a newbie here nice thread. You use the stock 10.1 compression ratio? Or you lowered it a bit?

Quote Originally Posted by boost_junkies_tt View Post
    Greeting Guys I'm a newbie here nice thread. You use the stock 10.1 compression ratio? Or you lowered it a bit?
    Hey Boost, thats a good question and it kinda brings the thread back to the build. My understanding was the Wossner pistons come in 76.5 and 77mm, 77 being needed after an overbore to clear off the scouring from the busted slug.

A 0.5mm cylinder diameter increase would be about a 1.3% displacement increase according to my terrible maths, which would suggest a slight increase in compression ratio if the only variable is a bore increase. BUT maybe the large Wossner piston has been slightly re sized (shortened) to compensate for that and keep compression the same...

Raises some more interesting questions:
    - If we're going to be boring out these blocks, how much would be safe to bore out and is there an off the shelf piston that could fit?

- If we could hypothetically manage to increase displacement closer to say 1.5 litres, would the current blowers provide sufficient boost and soon enough?

- What would the implications on torque and high end output be?

- Will this car ever stop sucking money out of my life?

Also, have a chat to Rawcpoppa on here. I think he's based in Trinidad too and he's got a twincharged Jetta.
    Last edited by Mk R; 14-10-2016 at 08:40 AM.

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by Mk R View Post
    Raises some more interesting questions:
    - If we're going to be boring out these blocks, how much would be safe to bore out and is there an off the shelf piston that could fit?
    - Will this car ever stop sucking money out of my life?
    Anything more than the 0.5mm is going to be risky - the cylinder wall thickness / cylinder separation is already pretty slim.

Plus you are going to run into head gasket issues with anything larger.

As for the money sucking....its sucked thousands out of me since I bought it back in 2013 lol, but its been a hobby and I been mucking about modding and adding a lot of factory options.

That's fair enough. The block cooling doesn't look too far from the bore.

On the topic of new 1.4 TSI pistons, I saw this today...

https://www.facebook.com/TaxopoulosM...69732416399539

Which is hilarious, impressive and no doubt very expensive.

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by Mk R View Post
    That's fair enough. The block cooling doesn't look too far from the bore.

On the topic of new 1.4 TSI pistons, I saw this today...

https://www.facebook.com/TaxopoulosM...69732416399539

Which is hilarious, impressive and no doubt very expensive.
    That is crazy! - must of cost a fortune - new/custom crankshaft, rods, pistons...the entire bottom end.

7500rpm from a stroked engine, man I can't see that getting to 100k miles and 427nm torque! - my dsg 7 speed would **** a brick at that torque.

Awesome power though from a 1.4, sorry I mean 1.6!
    Last edited by blower; 14-10-2016 at 10:10 AM.

Users Country Flag

I will definitely link with him some time. My engine has a low compression reading in one cylinder so I am looking at my options. Great Info in here guys. I will update when the build starts.

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast