DNA Tuning (Australia)

Thread: 1.2 tsi manual - anyone done an APR tune?

Users Country Flag

1.2 tsi manual - anyone done an APR tune?

Hi all,

I have a bog standard 1.2 manual Fabia.

I realise it may be strange to want more power from the base model ("why didn't you buy a vRS?") but a) they cost lots more, and b) I want to change gears myself. I love the torquey little engine but having come from an old Civic Vti-R I wouldn't mind a bit more zing. The Civic was the complete opposite to drive - revvy with an awesome top end but not much torque. I'm not after a rocket, just would like more poke on occasions; and the APR tune gets around 100kw and over 210Nm of torque which sounds just about right.

Anyone had the APR tune done on the 1.2 tsi engine? How'd you find it?

Users Country Flag
    I know on here theres a few guys with the VW Polo with the same engine who have the DNA Tuning tune (which i believe is rated to 100kw and 200nm) and they all rave about the extra power and torque.
    2017 Ford Fiesta ST
    2015 Audi SQ5 bi-turbo V6 TDI family hauler

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    I've been scanning through old posts on here but haven't found any real reviews of a tuned 1.2.. some of the questions I'd like to ask are to do with day-to-day driving:

APR claim:
    Engineers were able to increase the acceleration rate of the vehicle through other calibrations changes. Ignition delay is reduced resulting in a more responsive pedal without altering overall throttle sensitivity. Furthermore, throttle lag commonly noticed at slow speeds and while reapplying throttle has been reduced.

I guess that's one of the main questions I've got regarding acceleration - does the tune change the weird 1st gear mapping? I've read that boost is reduced for 1st gear to preserve the gearbox, and it does feel like that's the case. From 2nd gear and up boost comes on nice and strong. It'll get up and move in 1st gear if you boot it, but well, I don't want to have to boot it!
    Other questions are at what revs do you really feel the extra shove? I can take an estimate from the power and torque curves shown (I reckon that looks like at around 2300rpm) but it'd be nice to ask someone who's experienced it. And how does fuel economy go?

Any users out there with a tuned 1.2 tsi?

Users Country Flag
    Some info here 2011 TSI Special from DNA Tuning Australia

2011 TSI Special from DNA Tuning Australia
    2017 Ford Fiesta ST
    2015 Audi SQ5 bi-turbo V6 TDI family hauler

Quote Originally Posted by Lucas_R View Post
    Some info here 2011 TSI Special from DNA Tuning Australia

2011 TSI Special from DNA Tuning Australia

That's great thanks; I'd already seen it. Any tuned 1.2 owners who can comment directly?

And I've just worked out a potential issue.. Most 1.2 engines from 2011 will have had a recall (recall code 24W6) which involves fitting a 2mm wastegate actuator shim and fiddling with the ECU to recalibrate it for this change. This also applies to Polos with the same engine.. See AustralianCar.Reviews: #1 for Reviews and Used Car Valuations

I wonder if the APR tune takes this modification into account? I've emailed them to find out, will let the forum know what they say.

Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by fabnugget View Post
    That's great thanks; I'd already seen it. Any tuned 1.2 owners who can comment directly?
    Yup had the DNA tune on my Mk7 Polo 1.2 TSI with DSG. Great results - pocket rocket. Would use DNA again.

My car had the shim fix, and some wastegate fix from VW. Neither caused issue with the tune, and visa versa.
    MY18 GOLF 110TSI I HIGHLINE I Indium I Panoramic Sunroof I DAP I IP
    MY18 TIGUAN 162TSI I R-LINE I Ruby I DAP I IP