Thread: Wastegate rattle in 1.4 TSI MY15

Users Country Flag

Wastegate rattle in 1.4 TSI MY15

Starting a thread for the wastegate rattle in 1.4 TSI MY15 motors.

For background, this is not the same as the actuator rod rattle seen in MY13 models. MY15 models had a redesigned actuator rod which did not require a clip to stop the rattle. The mechanic recommended replacing the actuator rod at the 15k service to see if it'd remove the rattle. It didn't.

Had the 30k service done today, mentioned wastegate rattle to the same mechanic again who came for a drive and confirmed it exists.

I'm still suspecting the cause is the wastegate itself, but I was informed there is a TPI out from VW regarding a corrugated pipe connected to the turbo that could be causing the noise. The mechanic said they can't replace the wastegate under warranty until they have completed the TPI and confirm the rattle is still there. Fair enough, sounds like his hands are tied by VW processes.

Part has been ordered, will update the forum once it has been replaced.

TPI 2036393/6 <- Can someone with erWing access look this up for me by chance?

According to this forum in the Czech Republic, this is meant to be a fix for some high pitched whistling noise... https://translate.google.com/transla...-text=&act=url

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by agentthumb; 22-12-2016 at 06:48 PM.
    Golf MK7 103TSI Highline Wagon | Limestone Grey | DAP2
    Golf MK7 110TDI Highline Hatchback | Tungsten Silver | DAP

Interested to know how you go mate i have a 2015 tsi and mentioned the rattle so many times. They replaced the waste gate clip and did !@#$ all change. I ignored the noise till I seen your post.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Ya will do. It doesn't affect the car, just annoying sometimes. I think I've learned to ignore it lol

Had the TPI done today. They replaced the corrugated pipe in the picture with a smooth pipe like the ones around it.

Unsurprisingly tho, didn't do anything.

The mechanics have logged a technical support request with VW, will see what they come back with.

Given they have already replaced the actuator rod, I'm guessing they will go ahead and replace the actual wastegate.

So just updating all interested.

Spoke with Cricks Highway Springwood today, they haven't heard back from VW Germany yet regarding the issue. I have raised a support request with VW Customer Care to see if they can chase it up with Germany.

To be clear tho, Cricks Highway has been nothing but wonderful to deal with. VW seems to be the ones holding this back

Quote Originally Posted by agentthumb View Post
    So just updating all interested.

Spoke with Cricks Highway Springwood today, they haven't heard back from VW Germany yet regarding the issue. I have raised a support request with VW Customer Care to see if they can chase it up with Germany.

To be clear tho, Cricks Highway has been nothing but wonderful to deal with. VW seems to be the ones holding this back
    Same thing happened to my 2013 90tsi about 6 months back

Clip was replaced fixed the rattle for about 6 months, now rattle is back

Back to vw to get this fixed again, plus a new head unit which infomercial unit has died plus fuel gauge which now shows empty whilst car is full as of yesterday. Most unreliable car I've ever owned

So it has a rattle and issues with the head unit and its the most unreliable car ever? You need to get out more.