Page 45 of 197 FirstFirst ... 3543444546475595145 ... LastLast

Thread: VCDS (VAG-COM) codes and programmable options for Golf Mk7

Users Country Flag

@MRG_AU So we have the same front radar, good news so that part hasn't changed in order to give the new extra features of DAP2 so further my original question, perhaps we need to find some coding differences...
    Possible retrofit I think yes!

MY18 Tiguan | Pure White | R-Line Package | Driver Assist | Sunroof | Euro Spec | Mods to Come
    MY15 R-Line | Euro Plates | Pure White | Driver Assist | Sunroof | Replica R HIDs | Mods to Come Sold Dec 2018

Users Country Flag

VCDS (VAG-COM) codes and programmable options for Golf Mk7

@ryanjames20 the front assist function of the car has not changed at all. The new functions are:

Blind spot monitor and;
    Rear traffic alert.

Both of these use the rear parking sensors to detect cars in the rear quarters of the car.

There is also an addition of blind spot indicators in the two wing mirrors.

Maybe we need to find out if the parking modules are different between DAP1 & 2?

Despite what others may tell you, lane assist is not part of DAP2.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by agentthumb; 06-04-2015 at 09:55 AM.
    Golf MK7 103TSI Highline Wagon | Limestone Grey | DAP2
    Golf MK7 110TDI Highline Hatchback | Tungsten Silver | DAP

Quote Originally Posted by agentthumb View Post
    Blind spot monitor and;
    Rear traffic alert.

Both of these use the rear parking sensors to detect cars in the rear quarters of the car.
    AFAIK the blind spot monitoring does not use the parking sensors, but other dedicated sensors (possibly radar, not exactly sure where they're located). They have a much longer range than the parking sensors.
    2008 MkV Volkswagen Golf R32 DSG
    2005 MkV Volkswagen Golf 2.0 FSI Auto
    Sold: 2015 8V Audi S3 Sedan Manual
    Sold: 2010 MkVI Volkswagen Golf GTI DSG

Users Country Flag
    That's what I initially thought, but then I read some materials that seems to suggest Some BSM systems reuses the sensors used for park assist 2 (the four sensors right next to the wheels facing the side of the car), now I'm unsure.

From a cost perspective, it definitely makes sense to use what's already there, rather than adding more sensors.

Here is an example reference:
    Page 2 - Blind spot detection: Car tech that watches where you can’t | ExtremeTech

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Golf MK7 103TSI Highline Wagon | Limestone Grey | DAP2
    Golf MK7 110TDI Highline Hatchback | Tungsten Silver | DAP

Users Country Flag
    From reading about blindspot monitoring, the parking sensors are mini radars in themselves and only scan about 20m unlike the front mounted radar that scans much further.

If this is the case were the parking sensors are used for blindspot monitoring in VW, then you must be able it increase the intensity of how far they work because I know my sensors only detect objects within about 2m. Another theory would be the outer sensor are a more power full type of radar. I guess this could only be eliminated by scans in VCDS and part number comparison of radars on the bumper.

Users Country Flag

VCDS tweak -Increase instrument cluster illumination during daylight

The instructions below will illuminate the instrument cluster during daylight -regardless of the position of rotary light switch.

The underlying mechanism for this tweak is the mysterious (to me, at least) set of adaptation channels that contain the words dimming_characteristic_curve_adjustment. There are 35 such adaptation channels devoted to "X" values and a further 35 channels linked to "Y" values in a mk7 (but this tweak only deals with a small sub-set of "X" values).

Not much is known about these adaptation channels and I still have only a rudimentary knowledge of how they operate, but I have implemented this tweak on my own 103TSI and I can vouch that it works!

This tweak will alter the manner in which the internal photo-transistor in the instrument cluster reacts to the illumination levels in the cabin. A photo-transistor is a light sensitive device (usually encased in a transparent package) in which electrical conduction varies dependent on the intensity of light falling onto the device. In essence, the tweak establishes a new daylight response-curve for the photo-transistor that results in the instrument panel lighting-up during sunshine conditions.

For those wanting to customise the instrument panel lighting by creating their own "dimming curves", I have written a short paper on how I developed the settings for these instructions. The document can be down-loaded HERE. Also included in my paper is a link to a spreadsheet macro that I created to calculate the settings for the "X" and "Y" values for this tweak. If you want to develop your own "dimming curves" then this spreadsheet might also be useful

I have restricted these instructions to illuminating the instrument cluster during daylight hours only (by changing the "X" dimming curve) . It is possible also to modify a different "Y" dimming curve so that the dash lights also illuminate during night time darkness (with the rotary switch in the off position). However, I have not included these instructions here because of the following:

1. A fellow forum member (thanks badufay) has advised that the rationale why the mk7's default settings do not light-up the instrument panel in dark conditions is to remind the driver to turn on the car's main lights. It seems prudent to retain this safety feature. As indicated in my paper, I attempted to retain this safety feature by preserving the profile (i.e. the shape of the curve) for VW's default daylight dimming curve. That is, whist changing individual "X" values, I have tried (as best as possible) to retain the relativity between successive "X" values across the entire dimming curve. This ensures that the cluster illumination will dim sufficiently at dusk to signal to the driver to turn-on the car's headlights.
    2. A consequence of illuminating the dash at night (with the rotary light switch in the off position) by changing the Y values is that there will be a reduced range in the adjustment facility for the cluster lighting (i.e. the "virtual slider rheostat" in the set-up menu). This impact is not insignificant, so altering the night dimming curve should be done with care!

However, if others wish to play with the "dark-side", I have included a set of values for the Y dimming curve in my paper - please refer to the link provided above.

Finally, if you do make any discoveries on this topic, please share your findings!

Instrument Cluster Illumination - Instructions

1. Have the engine running and start the Ross Tech software (I found this to be necessary to successfully change the adaptation channel settings on my 103TSI - my13 model. Else I kept getting "out-of-range" error messages)
    2. Select 17 - Instrument control module
    3. Select Security Access - 16 from the "Open Controller" screen
    4. Enter the magic number 20103 and return to the "Open Controller" screen
    5. Select Adaptation - 10 from the "Open Controller" screen
    6. From the pull-down button change the 5 x adaptation channels shown in the table below to the New Settings as indicated: (tip: if you are using a VCDS software version that has the "search" facility - enter internal_phototransistor-X into the search box)

Notes:

1. The setting for "X1" does not need to be changed - I have included it in the table for completeness
    2. When entering the new hexadecimal values, take care to use the exact structure shown in the table (i.e. enter all leading zeros and enter a space as shown - it is not necessary to use capital letters for the alpha characters. EDIT: agentthumb & MRG_AU (thanks both) have advised that VCDS can add an extra space at the RHS of the newly entered Hex number resulting in the message error in input please enter one hexadecimal byte eg: FF. If this happens, they suggest "clearing the entire text field and re-enter the Hex values from scratch".
    3. If out-of-range error messages appear, try starting the change sequence in the reverse order- that is, commence by changing X5 and then change the channels with reducing X numbers.
    4. EDIT: Mikey1(thanks) has advised that he did not need to have the engine running (in step 1 above) to change the adaptation channel settings on his Golf R.
    5. EDIT: agentthumb (thanks) indicated that the dimming curve values in the table above successfully restored cluster illumination levels following window tinting.
    6. EDIT: DP2K (thanks) has reported that the default settings for the phototransistor dimming curve on his/her 90TSI-MY15 Comfortline (ROW model) is different to that shown in the table above. If this is the case, I have provided an alternative set of values on post#515

Lastly, I fully anticipate that the lighting effects that result from this tweak will not be to every one's liking. If this is the case, please revert ALL settings to their default value (as shown in the table), or use my paper and the related spreadsheet to create your own dimming curves. If you do develop new dimming curves that you find to be beneficial, please share your findings on this tread

Postscript: After implementing this tweak, you may observe that the infotainment screen is brighter. If this happens, the lighting intensity of the infotainment screen can be adjusted as follows:

1. Press the MENU button (thanks Mikey1) on the bottom RHS of the discover media/pro escutcheon plate
    2. using the RH dial on the infotainment unit (or your finger), scroll to the SETUP icon - which looks like a gear-cog and it's on the extreme RHS of the option list
    3. press the panel that says Screen
    4. press the panel that says Brightness
    5. Select either Brightest, Brighter, Medium, Darker, Darkest option
    6. Exit all screens

See Pictorial instructions below
    Last edited by DV52; 04-11-2020 at 07:59 AM.
    Please don't PM to ask questions about coding, or vehicle repairs. The better place to deal with these matters is on-line, in the forum proper. That way you get the benefit of the expertise of the wider forum! Thank you.

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by DV52 View Post
    Instrument Cluster Illumination

Arhh now this is interesting! Perhaps something else I'll have to implement shortly
    As always, thanks DV52

MY18 Tiguan | Pure White | R-Line Package | Driver Assist | Sunroof | Euro Spec | Mods to Come
    MY15 R-Line | Euro Plates | Pure White | Driver Assist | Sunroof | Replica R HIDs | Mods to Come Sold Dec 2018

Quote Originally Posted by dv52 View Post
    the instructions below will illuminate the instrument cluster with the light switch in the off position.

The underlying mechanism for this tweak is the mysterious (to me, at least) set of adaptation channels that contain the words dimming_characteristic_curve_adjustment. There are 80 such adaptation channels in the instrument control module allbeit this tweak only deals with 10 of these channels.

Not much is known about these adaptation channels and my understanding of their operation is rudimentary. However, i have been able to develop the vcds tweak below, which i have implemented in my own 103tsi and i can vouch that it works!

This tweak will alter the way that the internal photo-transistor in the instrument cluster reacts to the illumination levels in the cabin. In essence, the tweak establishes a new daylight and a separate new night-time response-curve that results in the instrument panel lighting-up during sunshine and (differently) during darkness conditions. The new illumination levels are independent of the position of the rotary light switch.

For those wanting to create their own instrument cluster illumination curves, i have written a short paper on how i developed the settings for these instructions - which can be down-loaded here. Also included in my paper is a link to a related spreadsheet that i also created to calculate the required settings for the "x" and "y" values in the adaptation channels listed below.

Finally, if you do make any discoveries on this topic, please share your findings!

instrument cluster illumination - instructions

1. have the engine running and start the ross tech software (i found this to be necessary to successfully change the adaptation channel settings)
    2. select 17 - instrument control module
    3. select security access - 16 from the "open controller" screen
    4. enter the magic number 20103 and return to the "open controller" screen
    5. select adaptation - 10 from the "open controller" screen
    6. from the pull-down button change the 10 x adaptation channels shown in the table below to the new settings as indicated:

note1: When entering the new hexadecimal values, take care to use the exact structure shown in the table (i.e. Enter all leading zeros and enter a space as shown - it is not necessary to use capital letters for the alpha characters)

note2: If the lighting-effect that results from implementing the changes shown in the table above are not to your liking, revert all settings to their default value (as shown in the table), or use my paper and the related spreadsheet to create your own illumination curves.
    thanks!!!

I'll do this just because it's cool, and my lights dim out quite often here in Seattle because it's always cloudy. The right amount of clouds and the dash lights turn off... Gets annoying!

Ben
    Current: 2017 GTI S, 6 spd man; 2017 Jetta SE TSI, 5 spd man
    Previous: 2015 Golf S TDI, 6 spd man; 2015 Jetta SE TDI, 6 spd man; 12 Jetta 2.5L, 04 Jetta 2.0L, 02 Golf 2.0L, 98 Jetta 2.0L, 98 Golf 2.0L, 98 Cabrio 2.0L, 95 Golf 2.0L, 87 golf GTI 16 valve 1.8L, 86 Cabriolet 1.6L, 80 Audi 4000 1.6L, 76 Audi Fox 1.6L, 76 VW Beetle 1.6L, 74 Audi Fox 1.5L, 69 VW Beetle 1.5L

Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by badufay View Post
    I'll do this just because it's cool, and my lights dim out quite often here in Seattle because it's always cloudy. The right amount of clouds and the dash lights turn off... Gets annoying!

Ben
    Ben: you will be the first person in Seattle with a daylight/night-time illuminated instrument cluster on a mk7 - can't get any cooler than that!

Seriously, your observation is exactly why I started thinking about this tweak. Given that the cluster clearly has the capacity to illuminate during these periods of cloud, I couldn't understand why VW programmed the photo-transistor in the way that it has. The only rationale that I could think-of (and that made sense) was that the car's designers intended to give the driver a warning mechanism to turn-on the head-lights in these conditions -but this is pure conjecture on my part!
    Let me know (please) if you refine my tweak -and make it better!
    Don
    Please don't PM to ask questions about coding, or vehicle repairs. The better place to deal with these matters is on-line, in the forum proper. That way you get the benefit of the expertise of the wider forum! Thank you.

Page 45 of 197 FirstFirst ... 3543444546475595145 ... LastLast