Thread: OK - Who wants a mk8??

Users Country Flag

OK - Who wants a mk8 Golf??

Just when you thought that too much mk7 just wasn't enough, VW reveal their mk8 Golf. It's got 10 gear DSG (bit like the 10 speed derailleur on my mountain bike) - clutch pads won't ever stop!

See here
    Last edited by DV52; 23-11-2014 at 02:10 PM.
    Please don't PM to ask questions about coding, or vehicle repairs. The better place to deal with these matters is on-line, in the forum proper. That way you get the benefit of the expertise of the wider forum! Thank you.

Users Country Flag
    What! you can't do that haha

Thanks for the update

Users Country Flag
    Interesting, although not keen on being a guinea pig on yet more DSG tech unless VW bite the bullet and start warranting their products for more than three years.

I guess with the Golf being my 'plaything' these days I'm looking at the S3 next time around, although as I've said before the R wagon would entice for the space increase.

--- FS: 2016 Golf GTI 40 years, white, DSG, 18,xxxkm -------------------------------------------------------------------
    2019 Audi SQ5 | 2016 Golf GTI CS + OZ UL HLTs | Retired: 2018 Audi RS3 sportback + OZ Leggera HLTs
    2017 Golf R Wolfsburg Sportwagen | 2016 BMW 340i + M-Performance tune/exhaust | 2015 Audi S3 sedan
    2014 Golf GTI + OZ Leggera HLTs | 2012 Polo 77TSI (hers) | 2010 Golf GTI Stage 2 + OZ ST LMs

Users Country Flag
    So want with an electric petrol hybrid drivetrain. Some articles even have predicted 4 sec for 0-100 for a MK8 golf R !!!
    2013 Tiguan 155kW DSG | Leather | Bi Xenon's | Park Assist 2.0 | Panoramic Sunroof | RCD 510 | RVC | MDI
    Mods: APR K04 v3.1 | HPA Haldex | S3 Intercooler | Custom 3" Quad Tip Exhaust | Carbonio Intake | WL HD RSB | GFB DV+ | Koni Yellow Sport Struts & Eibach Springs | HP LCAs | Custom Audio ( Alpine MRX V70 , Audison Bit Ten , Dynamat , Stealth Sub ) | Car Tablet | CB Radio | Sports Pedals | RLine Door Sills | Wheel Arch Extensions | 3 Bar MAP & BKR8EIX | RT VCDS .... Performance: 0 - 100 km/h, 5.0 seconds ( Racelogic PBox tested ) Tiguan Build Thread

Users Country Flag
    OH COME ON!

10 speed?!!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!!?

May as well use a bloody CVT!!!

The cars are becoming more and more mechanically efficient, so surely that many gears is unwarranted??

Much like i struggle to see the point of the current 8 speeds in euros at the moment. They can fit that many gears because of the platform (RWD), and i doubt the strength of the small gearset that will be required to fit that many gears!

Quote Originally Posted by BCK View Post
    OH COME ON!

10 speed?!!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!!?

May as well use a bloody CVT!!!

The cars are becoming more and more mechanically efficient, so surely that many gears is unwarranted??

Much like i struggle to see the point of the current 8 speeds in euros at the moment. They can fit that many gears because of the platform (RWD), and i doubt the strength of the small gearset that will be required to fit that many gears!
    I too am sceptical, but will reserve judgement, as I've been surprised before.

I doubted the usefulness of a 7 speed before purchasing a Golf. 7 speeds seemed absorb before driving it. Not so much after.

Have you driven any of the 8 speed euros of which you speak? It's really only one extra gear than a golf's 7 speed, and often these cars start in 2nd, reserving 1st for race mode/launch control or steep hills.

Andrew (who's quietly hoping it has two reverse gears...)

Yes I've read about the 10 speed DSG and this would be a major attraction, "the more gears, the merrier". I've always liked cars that lope and the current 7 speed DSGs are very good at this. Also like the idea of the Golf hybrid currently for sale in the UK. But having just bought a Mk 7 I think you've got to concentrate on what's available at the moment. Unless a new model is just around the corner

Users Country Flag

as for me, am more interested in the Mk7 facelift.