Support VWWC

Page 23 of 31 FirstFirst ... 132122232425 ... LastLast

Thread: The Official Mk7 Golf DSG / Clutch / Shudder / Squeal Issues Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Liammm View Post
    Hey Zardoz ,

Volkswagen has released a revised clutch pack repair kit for the newer 7 speed dsg . I have only recently noticed the new style clutch in the last month or so. This new style clutch ends with a part number G instead of the previous letters L or M and S. As far as I'm aware this new style clutch combats both the squeaking and shuddering issues.

If your unhappy with the way your car is changing gears whether it's a noise or shudder . Call your local dealership voice your complaints and ask for a test drive with a tech or foreman.

Sent from my SM-N920I using Tapatalk
    Went on the test drive and what do you know, it behaved perfectly. I wish I could have that tech in the car all the time! They also applied a software update to my engine, so I'm not too sure if that's reset a few things. I noticed the gearbox was changing at slightly higher revs than usual, but that could be attributed to our cold spell and the fact that it was the first time the car was driven today.

The car has the S clutch packs fitted. Apparently, according to the tech there (he's a master tech), the S packs are the latest. Is there any documentation I could point him to that states that the G packs are the ones to get?

Given the issue is documented as intermittent, I hope that they'll honour any issues that crop up in the next few months as I expect it to be more obvious.

Depending on the model (DQ200) gearbox and issue . The part numbers and design of clutch pack repair kit will vary. In order for the dealer to be paid for any work carried out under warranty the dealer must follow strict guidelines and procedures . The easiest way for this to go pear shaped would be if the dealer has charged out incorrect part numbers . So I'm almost certain they would have fitted the correct revised clutch pack with the latest software update.

Hi sorry about new post but I can't find anything about the issue I'm having with my 2012 Golf TSI.

Initially I was having the shudder in D2 after driving for a bit and stop start driving. I got the clutch packs replaced by a dealerships under warranty but after I got the car back I noticed the car appeared to slip throughout acceleration in D3 and D4. This wasn't happening prior to getting the clutch packs done.

I ended up taking it to another dealer as the first one refused to admit it was an issue. The second depart replaced the clutch packs and the flywheel. But the same issue remains. Now they are saying they can't replicate it.

Has anyone heard of this before? To me it seems like the gears are slipping for a fraction of a second especially if going up hills when the car is cold. But I even notice a very small amount of movement in the tacho in D6 when cruising. Any help would be great as I may need to try pointing the dealer in the right direction.

Thanks

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by Liammm View Post
    Hey Zardoz ,

Volkswagen has released a revised clutch pack repair kit for the newer 7 speed dsg . I have only recently noticed the new style clutch in the last month or so. This new style clutch ends with a part number G instead of the previous letters L or M and S. As far as I'm aware this new style clutch combats both the squeaking and shuddering issues.

If your unhappy with the way your car is changing gears whether it's a noise or shudder . Call your local dealership voice your complaints and ask for a test drive with a tech or foreman.

Heard it all before from VW....new revised clutch back fitted in 2012, on my Mk6 160ps (118kw)....15000 miles later its shuddering. Come 2015, new revised clutch pack fitted. 20,000 miles later its shuddering.

Now the shuddering is back again, i've had enough so bit the bullet on a project idea i've had in the back of my head for a while....the nuclear option....

Retrofitting a 6 speed dual WET clutch box from a Mk5 1.4 tsi 125kw.

Not cheap, not easy and hard to get hold of a used wet clutch for the 1.4 tsi as not many model years were fitted with them and you can't retro a wet dsg from any other engine as the bell housing is different

Besides from the box i have to also change:

-starter motor
    -both axles
    -dual mass flywheel
    -needle bearing
    -gearbox mount
    -Coolant lines for the dsg oil cooler
    -New clutch pack (this is a used box with 68k miles, don't know what condition clutch is in so bought a new one)

Also had to reverse engineer and rewire the mechatronics connection, along with work out exactly where the dsg oil cooler should connect up to the coolant circuit, along with the bypass thermostat.

It should all work, and with luck i'll have the smooth box i had in my last car (mk5 tdi dsg) - which i really really miss...

Got pretty much all the parts now, including the used box which arrived today. Will start the install soon and do an install log somewhere on this forum.

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by blower View Post
    Heard it all before from VW....new revised clutch back fitted in 2012, on my Mk6 160ps (118kw)....15000 miles later its shuddering. Come 2015, new revised clutch pack fitted. 20,000 miles later its shuddering.

Now the shuddering is back again, i've had enough so bit the bullet on a project idea i've had in the back of my head for a while....the nuclear option....

Retrofitting a 6 speed dual WET clutch box from a Mk5 1.4 tsi 125kw.

Not cheap, not easy and hard to get hold of a used wet clutch for the 1.4 tsi as not many model years were fitted with them and you can't retro a wet dsg from any other engine as the bell housing is different

Besides from the box i have to also change:

-starter motor
    -both axles
    -dual mass flywheel
    -needle bearing
    -gearbox mount
    -Coolant lines for the dsg oil cooler
    -New clutch pack (this is a used box with 68k miles, don't know what condition clutch is in so bought a new one)

Also had to reverse engineer and rewire the mechatronics connection, along with work out exactly where the dsg oil cooler should connect up to the coolant circuit, along with the bypass thermostat.

It should all work, and with luck i'll have the smooth box i had in my last car (mk5 tdi dsg) - which i really really miss...

Got pretty much all the parts now, including the used box which arrived today. Will start the install soon and do an install log somewhere on this forum.
    Mate good luck with that. It seems like a huge amount of hassle and expense to retain the 1.4 motor. Selling and getting a GTI not an option you considered?

Hopefully it all works out well for you in the transmission transplant...

Users Country Flag
    Just like to add another clutch pack issue. 90 tsi comfortline golf 7, 27,000km and driven twice a week to work without crawling in traffic as we don't have many stops along the way and it's not city driving. Vw replaced it under warranty, lucky as we had 2 weeks till the 3 years warranty was up. Service tech did mention it happens a lot and also to the gti clutch packs as my thought was to upgrade. When we did purchase dealers advised us the mechtronics/gearbox issues were fixed and wouldn't be an issue in the golf 7, we did research prior to buying and were well informed of these issues in previous cars. Anyhow great car, great service from vw for instantly fixing the issue for now. Was advised the cost was 2k to fix without a warranty. Now have to decide if I should upgrade the warranty for 2 more years and sell it straight away or just sell it as is.
    Thinking 2 years warranty would help with the sale, thoughts?

Users Country Flag
    How much for the 2 year warranty extension? Given the 90tsi is likely to be a sub $20k sale proposition, if the extra warranty is circa 10% of that value or something like that, I don't think I would bother with it.

Sell it as it is, and put those funds towards the new one. I'd be going wet clutch DSG next time if you are staying with a Golf for the next car. That means performance model or diesel variants.

Users Country Flag
    Decided to extend the warranty through vw, Eric extended mirror image to new car dealer warranty.
    Can't remember the price for 2 years, 1330 for 3 years, 1680 for 4 years, and 1815 for 5 years. Bought the 5 years extended and hoping it sees us through for the next 2+ years without to many issues.

I had my clutch packs replaced last week after I was getting the clutch squeal. I was also getting a gearbox thump when the car was warm in heavy stop start traffic. Mostly after I was sitting at a red light for a long time the car would make a big thump before accelerating from stand still. Since the clutch packs have been replaced the changes are much smoother, the squeal has gone but the occasional bloody gearbox thump remains. Never been able to reproduce the issue with a dealer test drive. So frustrating and makes me wish I'd gone the diesel for the wet clutch gearbox. I was also assured the gearbox issues were over when I bought my car. I think I'm going to have to call for a quote on an extended warranty but I'm sure last time I checked they didn't quote me $1330. That's a great price!

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
    Last edited by gh172; 18-10-2017 at 01:21 PM.

Users Country Flag

Hi

Went to see VW service on Thursday 19/10 as I was getting a moaning groaning sound from my Golf Wagon. Car has done 12k and I have been getting the noise for about 1k on and off. Before I dropped in, I made sure I could replicate the problem. Problem is evident in 1st gear crawling along. It stops when it goes to 2nd. Service guy had no problems identifying the noise and indicated it was the clutch plates.
    No issue in getting this fixed under warranty.
    I am usually a manual guy but VW does not do manuals in the Highline wagon.
    My points are
    1. Try your best to replicate the noise and identify when it occurs before going to VW. Tried to record the noise but nothing replaces the service guy hearing the noise himself !
    2. Warranty is designed to fix problems. So fingers crossed it gets fixed permanently as the Golf is a great car to drive. It's my 2nd Golf and I am very happy to them except for this DSG problem (previous car was a manual).

Page 23 of 31 FirstFirst ... 132122232425 ... LastLast