Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Number Plates on the Mk7

Number plate bracket/base plate (GTI/R)

I've noticed that most Mk7s are coming here with a big black base plate at the front to mount number plates onto. These base plates or mounting points are the same size as Euro plates but if you use the smaller plates we have in Aus I think it looks a bit untidy

Has anyone experimented with removing the baseplate and mounting the number plate directly onto the bumper bar (with some padding or a smaller base plate in between?)

How does the base plate attach and does it leave screw holes that a traditional NSW (or other) black-on-white slimline plate wouldn't cover up?

I know it can be removed as I've seen photos where this has been done for a photo shoot
    Last edited by Jimi; 01-04-2014 at 10:15 PM.

Users Country Flag
    Yes you can remove the front black base and use another base or attach the plates directly after plugging the holes.

Personally used Lakin plate holders (highly recommended!).

LAKIN Custom Plate Brackets, Add some CLASS to your car

Users Country Flag
    I'm also using Lakin brackets but how wide the bracket is will be limited to the holes in your bumper.

Users Country Flag
    n0d3: were there custom holes in the VW or did you have to drill them using the Lakin template? Could you please post pics of front and back? I have heard other good reports and would be keen to get them for my GTI on order. Cheers
    2014 Mk7 GTI​|Pure White|Manual|Tint

Users Country Flag
    You can have smaller brackets but it looks ugly with hole plugs in the front factory holes.

Lakin will almost always use the factory rear holes.

It's a shame the factory holes are probably obvious in real life. This low res photo looks so clean without the big bracket and the small NSW plates wouldn't disrupt that too much

Last edited by Jimi; 31-03-2014 at 05:33 PM.

Users Country Flag
    Are the brackets still added at the dealership? I know with some models people used to talk about asking the dealer not to put the front bracket on so they could so something different. No good to you if you already have the car, but worth an ask if you're still waiting.

Plan B: Take to it with a screw driver and see what you find

If it has an engine or heartbeat it's going to cost you. | Refer a Friend - AussieBroadband $50 Credit

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by CT69 View Post
    n0d3: were there custom holes in the VW or did you have to drill them using the Lakin template? Could you please post pics of front and back? I have heard other good reports and would be keen to get them for my GTI on order. Cheers
    There are existing holes for the front black bracket (dealer said it was done at factory, no idea), so for the front you can just secure it directly with the Lakin brackets after removing the old OEM bracket.

You only have to drill holes for the rear number plate holder (there are no holes at all).

You can see the photos here -> The Official "I have ordered/received my new MK7 Golf" Thread

It's from my phone so don't expect much. Better order it early, takes a while to come.

Quote Originally Posted by The_Hawk View Post
    Are the brackets still added at the dealership? I know with some models people used to talk about asking the dealer not to put the front bracket on so they could so something different. No good to you if you already have the car, but worth an ask if you're still waiting.

Plan B: Take to it with a screw driver and see what you find
    Yeah they are added at the factory APPARENTLY (the front ones). They are quite easy to remove and the Lakin ones fit in the existing holes.

I've seen a few photos around here of GTIs coming off boats and trucks still with protective wrap on them. If I can find one of those that should confirm it

n0d3 that looks really good but you have Euro plates. I wonder if the conventional smaller black-on-white plates fit in the same holes

Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Jimi View Post
    I've noticed that most Mk7s are coming here with a big black base plate at the front to mount number plates onto.
    Only the GTI, not the base, Comfortlines or Highlines. Makes me wonder why they continue to do it. A real eye-sore.
    Nov '15 Polo 81TSI manual white

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast