2000 Pulsar SSS manual
    1999 Astra CD auto
    1998 Pulsar SLX auto
    1991 Pulsar GL manual
    1981 Subaru Leone auto
    Ben

2015 Polo GTI & 2019 Golf R

Users Country Flag
    ^^^^ Ben: Without intending any offense, if you think differently about DSG then perhaps ALL 2019 Golf GTI's are available as manual transmissions??

Don
    Please don't PM to ask questions about coding, or vehicle repairs. The better place to deal with these matters is on-line, in the forum proper. That way you get the benefit of the expertise of the wider forum! Thank you.

Was always going to happen to the GTI at some point I suppose. Presumably won’t be a manual
    option for the 2019 R either? The writing was on the wall for the manual Golf a few years ago when the manual transmission was deleted from the mid spec Golf Comfortline. Presumably it will remain an option on the entry level Golfs but only to keep the headline price down.
    Still great news for the Hyundai marketing team, with the manual only Hyundai 130N certain to be where the prospective manual GTI buyer will be heading later this year.

Users Country Flag
    Not sure the manual gti drivers will be able to switch to a lesser brand so readily. Nothing mildly aspirational or ’premish’ about an i30.

Let’s hope they bring a manual in the MK8. I say that as I am on my seventh manual gti which have spanned sixteen years and included 4s, 5s, 6s, 7s and currently a 7.5.

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Quote Originally Posted by DV52 View Post
    ^^^^ Ben: Without intending any offense, if you think differently about DSG then perhaps ALL 2019 Golf GTI's are available as manual transmissions??

Don
    Well they have two clutches but there’s nothing manual about the gear change, even if you press a button on the steering wheel.

Ben

Current
    2015 Polo GTI manual
    2018 Golf GTI Original manual

Previous
    2014 Polo GTI DSG
    2013 Golf GTI DSG
    2006 RenaultSport Megane 225 Cup manual
    2006 Golf GTI manual
    2005 Golf 2.0 TSI manual
    2001 Astra SRi manual
    2000 Pulsar SSS manual
    1999 Astra CD auto
    1998 Pulsar SLX auto
    1991 Pulsar GL manual
    1981 Subaru Leone auto
    Ben

2015 Polo GTI & 2019 Golf R

Users Country Flag
    Hmm, looks like I'll be hanging on to my 2015 GTI for longer than I'd planned.

==
    2014 GTI | Pure White | Manual | Sunroof | DAP | Dog sleeping on back seat |

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by Brycem View Post
    Not sure the manual gti drivers will be able to switch to a lesser brand so readily. Nothing mildly aspirational or ’premish’ about an i30.

Let’s hope they bring a manual in the MK8. I say that as I am on my seventh manual gti which have spanned sixteen years and included 4s, 5s, 6s, 7s and currently a 7.5.
    You say that but I don’t think that’s the case. I can only speak for myself but I have just bought an i30N to replace my Mk7 R manual.

I didn’t buy it because of the badge; I bought it because of the mechanical engineering and the way it drives - it behaves much more like my Mk5 GT did with its manual gearbox. The 7R manual was a compromise from the start and the car feels like that every day (and I’ve owned my R for 2.5 years now).

It’s a shame that VW have down this way but it was inevitable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    MY08 Mk5 GT Sport - sold
    MY14 Tiguan 118TSI - sold (Mazda3 SP25GT in its place)
    MY16 Golf 7R: sold (Caterham Super 7 and Hyundai i30N in its place)

This is another example of how statistics coming out of VW just cannot be trusted. They are quoting only 10% of GTIs are manual, to imply dwindling demand for a manual transmission has been the driver for their decision. But then they claim that culling the (fractionally) less fuel efficient manual from the range will somehow help them meet more stringent emissions targets. Perhaps this logic would have legs if say 80% of GTIs were sold in manual guise but if “only” 10% are manual something does not stack up.
    So I just had a quick look at carsales.com and entered Golf;7.5;GTI; Transmission – Any into the search tool. 136 ads. Change “Transmission” to Manual and there are 31 ads. Even with my maths this is a long way from 10%!!

Quote Originally Posted by ABCD View Post
    This is another example of how statistics coming out of VW just cannot be trusted. They are quoting only 10% of GTIs are manual, to imply dwindling demand for a manual transmission has been the driver for their decision. But then they claim that culling the (fractionally) less fuel efficient manual from the range will somehow help them meet more stringent emissions targets. Perhaps this logic would have legs if say 80% of GTIs were sold in manual guise but if “only” 10% are manual something does not stack up.
    So I just had a quick look at carsales.com and entered Golf;7.5;GTI; Transmission – Any into the search tool. 136 ads. Change “Transmission” to Manual and there are 31 ads. Even with my maths this is a long way from 10%!!
    Also note that Pottinger quoted the Euro emissions targets. Well the GTI is still available in manual there for 2019, as it is in the US and China, they're just removing it from the Australian market which has no bearing on Euro emissions rules. That's dishonest. I'd say they're doing this to maximise sales of the more expensive DSG version and optimise service revenue from DSG. After 42 years of heritage, the GTI is cutting ties with the most engaging and arguably fun transmission option. Its a sad day for the GTI and VW.

Users Country Flag

No manual in 2019 Golf GTI

Quote Originally Posted by Mk R View Post
    Also note that Pottinger quoted the Euro emissions targets. Well the GTI is still available in manual there for 2019, as it is in the US and China, they're just removing it from the Australian market which has no bearing on Euro emissions rules. That's dishonest. I'd say they're doing this to maximise sales of the more expensive DSG version and optimise service revenue from DSG. After 42 years of heritage, the GTI is cutting ties with the most engaging and arguably fun transmission option. Its a sad day for the GTI and VW.
    Nailed it.

This smacks of a local VWA decision, not a VW HQ decision. If they discontinued the manual in the UK, they would be losing way too many sales to justify the decision.

But it’s fine. I am happy to get my manual hot hatch fix in a car with less weight and the same power and $5k cheaper.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    MY08 Mk5 GT Sport - sold
    MY14 Tiguan 118TSI - sold (Mazda3 SP25GT in its place)
    MY16 Golf 7R: sold (Caterham Super 7 and Hyundai i30N in its place)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast