Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast

Thread: MkVII Brakes (Pads, Rotors and Calipers) - Discussion and Questions

Users Country Flag

Cheers mate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2015 Golf R. Lapiz Blue.

Users Country Flag
    Thanks for that info

Another quick question, is the caliper motor the same part number between the two?

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by KorwinAU View Post
    Thanks for that info

Another quick question, is the caliper motor the same part number between the two?
    Thats a question i don't know the answer to sorry mate
    2017 Golf Alltrack 135tdi All options
    19 inch Brescia Wheels Golf R brakes front and rear
    Calipers painted Candy apple gold
    New rear sway bar and linkages

Users Country Flag
    The search continues then. So far all I've got to go on is this random German ebay listing for a series of spares pulled from a standard TDI.

Verkaufe Stellmotor fur Handbremse (3Q0998281) von VW Golf 7 VII in Bayern - Prackenbach | eBay Kleinanzeigen

The part number matches up with the rear left motor for the 8V calipers.

Genuine Volkswagen Audi - 3Q0998281 - Parking Brake Motor - left

I mean they have to go back to the parts bin at some point, seems foolish to make multiple e-brake motors for cars on the same platform.

Users Country Flag

Upgrade to Golf R Brakes

Hey guys has anyone done this to the mark 7?
    (love everything about my new 7.5 except the brakes are a bit wooden)
    If so how much?

Most important is where or who would do it?
    I have rung 3 vw performance shops before recieving my car but not 1 got back to me by phone or email, maybe thought i was a tyre kicker?

Would love a bbk but rims wont fit them(calipers will hit inside of rims and spacers are illegal) plus warranty issues with new car, next best bet is r brakes as oem wont be warranty issues as long as correctly fitted just finding them and getting fitted (would love some t3 or t4 rotors so would only need calipers, mountings and the other bits) is the issue

Thanks guys

Users Country Flag
    Hey all

Update for those interested in r brake upgrades

I accepted a quote for $1990 for a r brake front upgrade including almost new (less than 800klm) calipers new drilled zimmerman rotors(340mm) new lines and fluid
    For the rears which i am upgrading as well i had to buy a new kit from germany for $665 landed including calipers,parking servo's,mounting brackets and pads have not got a price for zimmerman rotors or fitting yet prob another $400 to $600ish

Also going to be up for getting them painted as fronts are black and rears red (going to have to go bright gold again)

Will keep this updated and i may ask the mods to make a seperate thread for it so others can find it easy if they are thinking about it
    Last edited by Kachingg; 01-09-2017 at 03:05 PM.

Users Country Flag
    So completed today my rear brake upgrade from the standard GTI rears to the PP/R/S3 rears. Good news is that my suspicions where correct and the servo motor used for the e-brake is identical between the platforms meaning the motor off any MQB platform car with an electronic park brake will work. I've bolted on some 2-piece ECS rotors and braided lines and some EBC Red Stuff pads to match the swap I did at the front.

IMG_20170902_122531.jpg - Google Drive
    IMG_20170902_122517.jpg - Google Drive

Some earlier shots of the fronts.

IMG_20170716_134934.jpg - Google Drive
    IMG_20170716_134921.jpg - Google Drive

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by KorwinAU View Post
    So completed today my rear brake upgrade from the standard GTI rears to the PP/R/S3 rears. Good news is that my suspicions where correct and the servo motor used for the e-brake is identical between the platforms meaning the motor off any MQB platform car with an electronic park brake will work. I've bolted on some 2-piece ECS rotors and braided lines and some EBC Red Stuff pads to match the swap I did at the front.

IMG_20170902_122531.jpg - Google Drive
    IMG_20170902_122517.jpg - Google Drive

Some earlier shots of the fronts.

IMG_20170716_134934.jpg - Google Drive
    IMG_20170716_134921.jpg - Google Drive
    looks nice mate just what i am going to do to mine

Whats the difference between the gti setup and the r/pp you have now? Is it noticeable on the road or only when your tracking/driving hard?

What pads did you fit? i am going ceramic as not tracking it so better for road use

Where did your get the rear calipers from i had to order mine in from Germany! could not find any at a reasonable cost out here wreckers either did not have em or wanted way to much

Checked all the parts numbers and identical so pulled the trigger in the ebay listing it had fits all mark 7 models s3 audi ect so you are correct same caliper and servo motor across entire range which makes sense when you think about it big cost saving in tooling and parts inventory
    Last edited by Kachingg; 02-09-2017 at 09:26 PM.

Users Country Flag
    The rear calipers I got from shopdap in the US, swapped them over when I initially ordered the wrong ones. I'm using EBC Red Stuff ceramics on all 4 corners, I'm not tracking the car on any sort of regular basis so a high performance street pad was my best option. I'm yet to take it for a proper drive to see how the breaking holds up over a longer harder drive but the bonus for the time being is the reduction in un-sprung weight, makes the car feel a little more nimble. The peddle feel is more linear so there is a much better level of control over the amount of brake pressure I can apply.

Also it looks great...

Users Country Flag

Yeah they do look very nice thats the main reason i am doing mine also the pedal feel is a bit wooden hope it picks up a bit
    Did you order the manual handbrake one from the states?
    I was looking at calipers over there but found a great set in germany
    Also did you have to get the larger brakes engineered for compliance or it was ok because they are oem?

Great look on your car really picks it up well done

Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast