Support VWWC

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: MkVII Brakes (Pads, Rotors and Calipers) - Discussion and Questions

New rotors and pads after just 30,000 kms seems quite harsh. Could I ask if your traction control gets a workout a fair bit?

Users Country Flag
    dealers are usually quite conservative. Shine a torch through the wheels & have a look. If the friction material is <3mm then it's time to start doing your homework. I bet they are at about 6-8mm.

If you have the GTI PP then they are 340mm rotors.

If it's a std GTI then they are 312mm

The brake pads look slightly different - they are longer & not as high. (PR codes: 1ZE, 1ZP, 1ZA, 1ZD, 1LV, 1ZC, 1ZG)

I think Ferodo, Textar & Pagid do the correct pad. Check their cattledogs for the partno. Send the diagram to Brakes Direct & they should be able to match them
    carandimage The place where Off-Topic is On-Topic
    I used to think I was anal-retentive until I started getting involved in car forums

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by brad View Post
    dealers are usually quite conservative. Shine a torch through the wheels & have a look. If the friction material is <3mm then it's time to start doing your homework. I bet they are at about 6-8mm.
    I agreed with this. I wouldn't stress too much.
    MY09 MkV BMP 3dr GTI manual

Quote Originally Posted by donweather View Post
    New rotors and pads after just 30,000 kms seems quite harsh. Could I ask if your traction control gets a workout a fair bit?
    I have just under 67000km on my Mark V GTI and have not replaced the original brake pads yet. Just had its 7 year service and no mention of them being in danger of wearing out just yet.
    If the answer to the Monty Hall problem was 50/50, the contestant, on average, would win the car 50% of the time simply by sticking with their original guess...but you can only win a one-in-three guessing game 33.33% of the time so it can't be 50/50, can it?

Front brakes 90TSI

My daughter now has a new 90TSI Comfortline DSG with driver assist.

She dropped over at the weekend and after only 900ks the front wheels were black and the dust also travelled up the doors. The rears were practically clean.

This is far worse than my MKV GTI and my wife's 6R Polo GTI. Both these cars get the dust of course, but usually more on the rear due to the design, but over general use front and rear are pretty much the same grubby mess.

So I'm on the hunt for front pads for the MK7, the rears can stay original as they are not dirty and require specialty replacement. It seems that the brake bias settings are different on this car.

So far the only listing I can find on MK7 pads has been from Ferodo, part number FDB4454. I emailed Bendix for a supply date and their reply was typical of businesses today - "We are unable to advise when we will have disc pads available to the MKV11 Golf mentioned, please continue to check on a website catalogue".

Has anyone managed to find some ceramics or other low dust pads? It's not driven as a performance vehicle, just a (very nice) daily.

2008 Blue Graphite GTI DSG with Latte leather.

Users Country Flag

1.4 tsi brake upgrade

Hi guys,
    I have a 2016 1.4 tsi and are looking at the PP/R 340mm brakes.
    Do I need to upgrade the master cylinder and if, will a cylinder from a GTI fit? Anything else need to be upgraded?

Bgds Dan.

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by nutztoys View Post
    Hi guys,
    I have a 2016 1.4 tsi and are looking at the PP/R 340mm brakes.
    Do I need to upgrade the master cylinder and if, will a cylinder from a GTI fit? Anything else need to be upgraded?

Bgds Dan.
    Got to ask why you need such big brakes with a small motor??

Users Country Flag
    Honestly most for looks. They look so small with 19" wheels.

Standard Golf brakes are 288mm (front)/272mm (rear), GTI - 312mm(f)/300mm(r), GTI PP/R 340mm(f)/310mm(r).

I think they should fit/bolt up OK, however these will not be cheap if you purchase new/genuine spare parts.

It would almost certainly be cheaper to change wheels to something with a more closed in design that doesn't show off your small rotors... though you do see quite a few modded up base model cars with tiny rotors. BBK's are expensive and more than likely you're not putting them on for performance - just for looks.

If you're keen I'd be looking at something second-hand and repainting it.
    Last edited by tigger73; 16-12-2016 at 06:45 AM.

2017 Tiguan Sportline - Tigger73's 162TSI Sportline

2016 Scirocco R, stage 1, 205kwaw (sold) - Tigger73's Scirocco R Build
    2013 Tiguan 155TSI, stage 1, 144kwaw (sold) - Tigger73's 155TSI Build
    2011 Tiguan 125TSI, Stage 2+, 152kwaw (sold)
    - Tigger73's 125TSI Build

Users Country Flag

Wouldn't mind a refurbishd set.
    Just worried that the master cylinder isn't up for the job.
    Would the cylinder from a GTI bolt straight on?

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast