Thread: MK7 R Sticky Leather Steering Wheel

Users Country Flag

MK7 R Sticky Leather Steering Wheel

Ever since I picked up my car, the steering wheel has been sticky. I've tried cleaning it multiple times with a non silicone based interior cleaner (1Z Premium Cockpit) and leather cleaner (Duragloss Leather Cleaner) and it is still sticky.

The car is never left in the sun, and in fact has started to wear slightly on the face of the wheel. Pretty poor from VW really, the car is 18 months old and has 25,000kms on it.

I dropped it at VW this morning for a coolant leak (standard mk7 issue) and the dealer said "it is a feature of the leather and they all feel the same, with the same level of tackiness"

I made my point clear, that its not nice to have sticky hands every time you drive the thing... Anyone had any luck getting theirs replaced under warranty?
    | 2016 VW Golf R 7 | DSG | Pure White | Leather | Sunroof | Driver Assist | JB4 |
    | 2003 VW Golf SE | Auto | Silver | Sunroof |
    | 2010 VW Golf R 6 | Manual | Leather | ACC | 19s | Black Pack | GIAC Stage 2+ |

Users Country Flag
    Not sure if the R is different, but my 7.5 Comfortline has a very soft matt black leather cover. Its not sticky at all. It does mark very easy due to how soft it is - have a mark underneath from my belt buckle hitting it on the way in

The cars only 5 months old so i wouldnt expect any degredation, but i maintain it (and my wifes Subaru leather seats) with Bowden's own Leather Love and Leather Guard. I cannot recommend the products enough.

I i was in your position, i would nick into autobarn and get some of their Sublime Clean - then reclean and guard with your existing leather gear

SubLime Clean - A safe and easy cleaner for exterior fabrics, plastics and vinyl.

im noticing the same stickiness on my gti. i think its coming from the heat in general. This will be the cars 2nd summer.... but im disappointed with the sickiness too - its not too worrying for me because im getting rid of the car

Users Country Flag

Yes mine is the same since delivery it felt sticky at the 12 o clock position, have to say it is the slightest defect in an almost perfect car.... after putting on 4000km since delivery the sticky is going away.