Page 1 of 21 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Mk7 iPod Compatibility (MDI, Bluetooth etc)

Mk7 iPod Compatibility (MDI, Bluetooth etc)

I have just taken delivery of my 2013 Series 7 TDI Highline and have been very disappointed to find that I can’t connect my iPod (Classic, Touch or Shuffle) the the vehicle's sound system.

The car has a USB port, audio jack connection, two SD card slots and a CD player but no MMI connection. Dealer said that is no problem, ‘just connect your device with through the USB port’ ..…. BUT the USB port does not recognise any of my Apple devices.

I have gone back to the dealer and the response was:

“After making some enquiries with regards to the USB and streaming music I have found out that this is not possible. The usb can accept a thumb drive etc, which you can load music on to, but does not stream music from phones as this is meant to be done by the Bluetooth system.”

Bluetooth however is not a satisfactory alternative for me. You can only see details of the track you are playing and you can’t search by album, artist etc on the sound system, only on the device itself - hardly an option when driving. Nor is it an acceptable option to transfer individual tracks to an SD card or thumb drive – I want access to all my music when I want it. Buyer beware.

Users Country Flag
    I recommend going on ebay and finding an MMI cable or asking your dealer to throw it in as they provided false information.

I have got by fine with an SD card.
    And i am glad i didn't have to pay extra for an apple-centric cable to be included with the car.

Users Country Flag
    I had to buy the ipod cable from VW for $80. This allows full functionality that you desire.

I'm assuming that the MDI is similar to the mk6?
    His: F22 BMW M240i Coupe Hers: F56 Mini Cooper S JCW
    Previous:
    His:MY16 Scirocco R DSG - HP Stage 1, Racingline springs, RamAir CAI, MY11 Golf GTI Adidas DSG, APR st1, Carbonio Stage 1+2 intake, S2TPP shifters Hers: MY16 Polo GTI DSG, MY12 VW Up! 3 door manual

Thanks for your suggestions guys but how do you connect the device to the car with the iPod connector cable when there is no MMI/MDI socket in the car? I understand that there was an MMI/MDI socket in the Mk 6 if not earlier models but not in mine Series 7.

Users Country Flag
    Are you sure? Have you checked in the center console or glove box?

My MDI socket is in the centre console.

Users Country Flag
    I'll be keeping an eye on this. My 10 year old iPod 4th gen is playing up and I'm too old to figure out an SD card so was going to buy a new iPod. Might not bother as I'll hopefully have a Mk 7 R in 18 months. Might have to look at an SD again.

Let us know how it goes.
    Looking for:- RS4 B7 Avant.
    Current:- Amarok V6 Sportline; Mazda CX-9 Azami AWD
    Previous - Mk 6 R manual; Mk 7 R manual; Passat 130 TDi Wagon. Mk 7.5 Wolfsburg Wagon.

Nope, not there. USB and audio socket only in centre console, CD player and 2x SD card readers in glove box. One SD card reader has the satnav SD card.

Users Country Flag
    As stated, newer gen ipods have bluetooth, this is how you connect.

Ive not tried it personally so operation may be different as also stated OP

Have you tried auxiliary cable to the iPhone?

I've been using bluetooth from from iPad and am pretty happy with the performance thus far. I will be setting up the SD card soon as will want to use by mobile on the bluetooth.

Page 1 of 21 12311 ... LastLast