Support VWWC

Page 101 of 109 FirstFirst ... 519199100101102103 ... LastLast
Results 1,001 to 1,010 of 1081

Thread: Mk7 Golf TSI & TDI - Observations and Questions

I note you have one of each! (diesel vs. petrol)

Any pros/cons for each from your ownership experience worth sharing?

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan_3MPS View Post
    I note you have one of each! (diesel vs. petrol)

Any pros/cons for each from your ownership experience worth sharing?
    Glad to share my experience

Upfront disclosure. The comparison below compares a Highline 110TDI diesel (110kw/ 320nm) against a Highline 103TSI petrol (103kw / 250nm). The comfort line petrol only loses a few KW, but a whopping 50nm of torque compared to the Highline petrol. While I didn't notice this driving them back to back with the car unladen, I cannot speak to how the comfort line petrol would drive when fully loaded.

In my opinion, without stepping into the performance range, the diesel is more of a driver's car given it's ridiculous amount of torque to the front wheels. However, not all of it is useable tho as a lot of the time when you apply moderate throttle with your foot, you just get smoke and noise.

The petrol on the other hand is better at putting it's available torque to the ground. This is not to say you can use all of it tho, go past 50% throttle on take off, you will get wheel spin even on dry roads. (I guess this further demonstrates how ridiculous the torque in the diesel is in the fwd configuration).

In terms of daily drive, we definitely have to make a point of taking the diesel for a longer drive once in a while to clean out the DPF, it's usually driven in city traffic so this step is important to not prematurely wear out the DPF.

I have had 4 adults + luggage in the petrol, or the camping trip where the car is loaded to the roof with 2 adults. The car pulls and overtakes just fine, so you don't have to worry about weight eroding away the available torque in the petrol.

The 6 speed DSG in the diesel is definitely less hesitant than the 7 speed DSG found in the petrol. The best I can describe it is the diesel takes off from stand still more like a traditional automatic, where as the petrol has more hesitation and feels more like a manual. You learn to adapt your driving to the petrol DSG tho. But you definitely notice the difference jumping from the petrol into the diesel.

For petrol, there is noticeable DSG hesitation from slow rolling speed to take off. Ie. when you slow to a roll to the entry of a roundabout and apply power to enter and exit the roundabout. I never noticed this hesitation in the diesel, but this is reproducible every time in the petrol. It's not dangerous, just catches you off guard if you are not expecting it the first time. Again, I've learned to anticipate it and adapt to it.

Last mechanical point, the diesel has been pretty good mechanically, nothing to fault. The petrol has had a wastegate rattle (also mentioned by other forum members) since just before it's first service at 15k. It doesn't affect the drivability of the car, but can be a little annoying at times. I've learned to ignore it. Having said that, I'm actively working with VW to get this resolved. Waiting to hear back from Germany for approval to replace the wastegate.

Earlier MK7 petrols had clutch pack issues (MY13 models). These were subsequently fixed. I have not had any clutch issues with my petrol.

Functionality wise, both diesel and petrol offer exactly the same thing inside and out, so nothing to add here. Also, if your budget will not stretch past a highline, take the comfort line and option the driver assistance package! Worth every penny! I would not get another car without the technology that comes in the package

Things to note for ongoing cost:

Both cars need to have brake fluid and pollen filter changed every 2 years. These items are not priced into the standard service schedule, can catch people off guard.

Diesel service is more expensive over the same lifetime compared to petrol. 6 speed DSG in the diesel takes DSG oil. This will set you back an extra $600-650 at the 60k mark, bring the 60k service to roughly $900 from the average $325. (If you do roughly 15k a year, this will run your 60k service into four digit territory when you do the brake fluid and pollen filter at the same time. Something to be mindful of.) I do believe VW has priced the DSG oil into their service schedule tho. (Edit, just checked. 60K service is $911 + pollen filter + brake fluid as required)

Petrol 7 speed is dry clutch. So no extra surprises other than the aforementioned pollen filter and brake fluid.

Which would I buy again? Both. If I know I'm going to do a lot of highway driving, or load the car up to the roof, or tow, diesel without a doubt. If I'm just driving to and from work with the occasional cross country trip, I'd get the petrol

Hopefully this has been informative for you Feel free to come back to me with any specific questions you have about either car.
    Last edited by agentthumb; 05-01-2017 at 08:32 PM.
    Golf MK7 103TSI Highline Wagon | Limestone Grey | DAP2
    Golf MK7 110TDI Highline Hatchback | Tungsten Silver | DAP

Fantastic response, thank you for taking the time to write that up!

Interesting comments re: the DSG behaviour between the 6 and 7 speed boxes. I have a Mk6 GTI, so same 6 spd DSG as the diesel and noted the 7 spd DSG differences in our drive the other day.

Good points about pollen filter and brake fluid too, I remember when they first popped up on mine as sneaky extras. Think my 60k service at VW was $1100 plus!

So...it's looking like a new Comfortline is the way to go. I think the available stock we are looking at doesn't come with the Driver Assistance Package which is a pity, need to read up more on it to see if it's a deal breaker.

Users Country Flag

New Comfortline DSG or 1 year old Highline TDI DSG hatch?

Quote Originally Posted by Dan_3MPS View Post
    Fantastic response, thank you for taking the time to write that up!

Interesting comments re: the DSG behaviour between the 6 and 7 speed boxes. I have a Mk6 GTI, so same 6 spd DSG as the diesel and noted the 7 spd DSG differences in our drive the other day.

Good points about pollen filter and brake fluid too, I remember when they first popped up on mine as sneaky extras. Think my 60k service at VW was $1100 plus!

So...it's looking like a new Comfortline is the way to go. I think the available stock we are looking at doesn't come with the Driver Assistance Package which is a pity, need to read up more on it to see if it's a deal breaker.
    No problem for me personally, the driver assistance pack is worth the wait.

Try another dealer to see if they can source a car with it for you. Sometimes even just a mention to your current dealer about the intention will see a magical car appear

They just have to do a swap with another dealer, more work

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by agentthumb; 05-01-2017 at 09:49 PM.
    Golf MK7 103TSI Highline Wagon | Limestone Grey | DAP2
    Golf MK7 110TDI Highline Hatchback | Tungsten Silver | DAP

Issues with even late-build 7-speed dry clutch DQ200s still crop up from time to time. Personally, I wouldn't feel comfortable buying a car with this gearbox knowing its history and the prevalence of clutchpack failures they've experienced. A manual TSI, no problem however. Obviously the TDI has its quirks too, but if your partner's commute is a long-ish one (the DPF takes around 30-40 minutes to properly warm up and become fully efficient, IIRC) then it might still be a suitable option. The 6-speed DQ250 is a very solid gearbox these days.
    2008 MkV Volkswagen Golf R32 DSG
    2005 MkV Volkswagen Golf 2.0 FSI Auto
    Sold: 2015 8V Audi S3 Sedan Manual
    Sold: 2010 MkVI Volkswagen Golf GTI DSG

Auto only I'm afraid (she can't drive a manual). Under new car warranty should be ok, will keep a close eye on it.

She doesn't drive far enough normally in one hit to warm up a DPF. Agreed on the DQ250 being a rugged box, mine is still going strong after 100k km behind a 'tuned' motor.

Sent from my ASUS_Z00AD using Tapatalk

Users Country Flag

Lowering TDI Highline

Just thought I would share my experience lowering my golf.

I bought Eibach lowering springs for about $230 off ebay and some springs compressors for about $25.

It was a fairly simple job however I had an impact wrench which made life a lot easier.

I would say it took a total of around 6 hours in total.

Makes the car look a lot better, even with the standard wheels.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Mk7 Golf TSI & TDI - Observations and Questions-fullsizerender-3-jpg   Mk7 Golf TSI & TDI - Observations and Questions-fullsizerender-4-jpg  

Hi all,

Could someone suggest a better fixer for my dashmat? After 12 months on and some sun. It now moves around on the dash.. something that won't do permanent harm to the dashboard.

Thanks

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I've had my Golf 92 for 3 months now so thought I'd post my views but also ask a couple of questions.

Seats: first longish (3 hours) drive I did, I thought "not as comfy as my old Territory" and wondering if I made a mistake But, then, I started that drive with a bit of a sore back to start with. Since then, though, I've had a few more drives and been quite comfy.

Fuel economy: I'm using <5.5l/100k so pretty happy. Only putting 98 in it.

Performance: even though it's only the 92, pretty punchy and overtakes well.

Hill hold: turned it off because my driveway is a bit steep so I usually just roll back out of it but hill-hold kept kicking in. And I can time the brake/clutch properly to do hillstarts when needed.

Reverse camera: kids rag me because I reverse into parking spots using my mirrors! But that's how I learnt. However, it is useful to check when you're getting close to the car behind or a wall.

Music: seem to have an issue playing MP3 Cds or music through the USB port - every so often, it skips tracks and the songs show up as error files (even though next time in the car, they'll show as valid files again. I found that a MP3 CD which had no sub-folders, plays all tracks with no problems. But then:

Android Auto: 2 weeks ago, I set up Android Auto. Only took 2 months or so. When I played music off my phone through AA, I had no probs with tracks skipping. Except I couldn't work out how to play particular albums no matter what buttons I pressed. Then I accidentally found voice control! Now I just need to work out the album names.

The voice control with Google Maps seems pretty good too. Except last week trying to get out of Sydney CBD at night and it kept changing the route when I stopped at traffic lights making drive in circles for a while (but that was more Google Maps issue than the Golf/AA)

Cruise Control: only worked that out a couple of weeks ago and it works well.

So, if you've read this far, my questions:

* Coming up for 1st service soon (I'm on 12000km). Any recommendations for someone in Illawarra/northern Shoalhaven?

* I don't have a dark tint. Is it possible/viable to get a darker tint or would that only add risks I don't want?

* Should I be concerned with the track-skipping issue?

cheers

Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by kensell21 View Post
    Hi all,

Could someone suggest a better fixer for my dashmat? After 12 months on and some sun. It now moves around on the dash.. something that won't do permanent harm to the dashboard.

Thanks

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Have you tried using 3M velco tape?

Page 101 of 109 FirstFirst ... 519199100101102103 ... LastLast