Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: MK7.5 ACC adaptive cruise control - right lane overtaking

Users Country Flag

So, I stand corrected. Apparently in South Australia at least, it is legal to overake on the left on a multi-lane road. I didn‘t know that. I could‘ve sworn it was illegal. Here is copy of the SA road rules book.

141—No overtaking etc to the left of a vehicle
    (1) A driver (except the rider of a bicycle) must not overtake a vehicle to the left of the vehicle unless—
    (a) the driver is driving on a multi‑lane road and the vehicle can be safely overtaken in a marked lane to the left of the vehicle; or
    (b) the vehicle is turning right, or making a U‑turn from the centre of the road, and is giving a right change of direction signal and it is safe to overtake to the left of the vehicle; or
    (c) the vehicle is stationary and it is safe to overtake to the left of the vehicle.

Can some please show me using VCDS how to remove this unnecessary ACC annoyance that slows me down if I‘m approaching a slower vehicle that is travelling in the right lane.

Users Country Flag
    OK. I stand corrected. Passing on the left on motorways seems to be perfectly fine these days. That makes it somewhat easier to deal with muppet right lane hogs. Except the ones doing the same speed as the car beside them...
    Looking for:- RS4 B7 Avant.
    Current:- Amarok V6 Sportline; Mazda CX-9 Azami AWD
    Previous - Mk 6 R manual; Mk 7 R manual; Passat 130 TDi Wagon. Mk 7.5 Wolfsburg Wagon.

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by gregozedobe View Post
    Whoah, steady on tiger, no need to be quite so aggressive when responding. Good manners can take you a long way ......

While you are technically correct, just out of curiosity, how much multi-lane highway driving do you do where the speed limit is greater than 80 kmh but there are no "KEEP LEFT UNLESS OVERTAKING" signs. I drive a lot over large areas of NSW (particularly on the Hume, Pacific and New England highways), and these signs seem to be almost everywhere on these major highways.

BTW, what is your position on undertaking when the driver in the right lane is going significantly under than the posted speed limit.
    I just said “what rubbish” because that’s what you were saying. I’m sick of people commenting on overtaking on the left, driving in the right lane etc and perpetuating this misunderstanding. People should check the actual rules before commenting. I do a lot of multi lane highway driving in 3 states of Australia. You should not see a keep left unless overtaking if the speed limit is over 80, as it automatically applies regardless of any signage. They are obviously there to remind people who dont bother to learn the rules. Where you do see the sign is on roads 80 and below. One of the times you can drive in the right hand lane is if every other lane is congested. So if the left lane is full, you will find me in the right lane doing the speed limit!

My position on overtaking in the left hand lane? It’s legal and so if it’s safe then I’ll do it. NSW road rule 141
    NSW Legislation
    I will look for things like the car driving in the left of the lane, an upcoming off ramp, before I make that decision and that they aren’t likely to cut across two lanes to exit or get into the left lane. This has come from 24 years of riding motorbikes, trust no one
    2022 Tiguan R Reflex Silver

Quote Originally Posted by GolfAus View Post
    I just said “what rubbish” because that’s what you were saying. I’m sick of people commenting on overtaking on the left, driving in the right lane etc and perpetuating this misunderstanding. People should check the actual rules before commenting. I do a lot of multi lane highway driving in 3 states of Australia. You should not see a keep left unless overtaking if the speed limit is over 80, as it automatically applies regardless of any signage. They are obviously there to remind people who dont bother to learn the rules. Where you do see the sign is on roads 80 and below. One of the times you can drive in the right hand lane is if every other lane is congested. So if the left lane is full, you will find me in the right lane doing the speed limit!

My position on overtaking in the left hand lane? It’s legal and so if it’s safe then I’ll do it. NSW road rule 141
    NSW Legislation
    I will look for things like the car driving in the left of the lane, an upcoming off ramp, before I make that decision and that they aren’t likely to cut across two lanes to exit or get into the left lane. This has come from 24 years of riding motorbikes, trust no one
    I think we might seem to be arguing while we are actually agreeing on the important points.

If you look back at my posts you'll see that I was the first one to clarify that overtaking on the left IS legal on multi-lane roads . I'm not sure why so many others think it is illegal, and this is on a forum where people have a more than passing interest in cars. I shudder to speculate what the non-enthusiasts believe (but see the results almost every time I drive for any length of time).

I believe that most of the time on highways drivers should keep left unless overtaking. If traffic is congested I will drive in whichever lane seems to be moving best (and north of Sydney that is often not the right hand lane). I don't chop and change lanes all the time, and I try to leave sufficient "reaction room" in front of me, even if some drivers seem to think it is a space I've left especially for them to move into.

You are 100% right saying "trust no one". When commuting on a motorbike in Melbourne I seemed to develop a "spidy sense" telling me to watch out for some drivers, and scarily frequently they would go on and do something weird, unsafe or just plain dangerous. I still use that sense to be wary of drivers now, and I haven't ridden a bike on the road for many years.
    2017 MY18 Golf R 7.5 Wolfsburg wagon (boring white) delivered 21 Sep 2017, 2008 Octavia vRS wagon 2.0 TFSI 6M (bright yellow), 2006 T5 Transporter van 2.5 TDI 6M (gone but not forgotten).

Unticking should not affect anything else.

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by komoornik View Post
    Thanks mate

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Users Country Flag
    Hi komoornik did you untick both or just the right bite ?

Just the right lane overtaking. Overtaking assistance should be enabled - it is helpful. It starts accelerating after using turn signal.

Users Country Flag
    Just the right lane overtaking. Overtaking assistance should be enabled - it is helpful. It starts accelerating after using turn signal.
    Ta

Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Blackpaladin67 View Post
    Ta

Best mod i have done todate makes my 140km drive to an from work on the M1 a significantly better experience with the Arteon no longer, slowing down just because someone to the right of me, wants to do 80km in 110km zone..VW needs to have a big rethink of why this feature should be active in Australia!!

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast