Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Mk7 Golf Manual Clutch Issues, Discussion and Questions

Users Country Flag

The clutch is covered if it fails. Not if you wear it out. A few Golf R manuals have had a spring break and cause failure. That it covered by warranty. If there is simply no meat left on the clutch plate, that is a different matter.
    Looking for:- RS4 B7 Avant.
    Current:- Amarok V6 Sportline; Mazda CX-9 Azami AWD
    Previous - Mk 6 R manual; Mk 7 R manual; Passat 130 TDi Wagon. Mk 7.5 Wolfsburg Wagon.

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by mrmomoz View Post
    ps: clutch inst covered under warranty.
    Hmm, it depends what have failed there.

Users Country Flag
    Dealer says the clutch is rooted. Gearbox coming out tomorrow. Said they don't know why it's "failed". Fingers crossed...
    Previous - Mk 6 R manual; Mk 7 R manual; Passat 130 TDi Wagon. Mk 7.5 Wolfsburg Wagon.

Users Country Flag
    Gearbox is out. Clutch is completely burnt out. Dealer can't figure out why. They said they expected to see something obvious as it's only got 30,000 kms on it and it hasn't been chipped or drag raced. They're going to have a more detailed look tomorrow as they say they want to make sure VW don't give them a 'please explain' notice if they put a warranty claim in and then VWA ask for it to be sent back so they can examine it. I'm half hopeful....

On the upside, it makes me feel better about swapping to DSG for the Wolfsburg.

Users Country Flag
    Do you happen to drive with your foot on the clutch pedal a "little"bit
    2021 Kamiq LE 110 , Moon White, BV cameras F & B
    Mamba Ebike to replace Tiguan

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by Hillbilly View Post
    Lol. Nope. In fact around town I drive mainly on radar cruise with both feet firmly on the foot rest either side. And before anyone else asks: down changes are rev matched! I've been driving manuals since before some on this forum were born. And this is my second manual Golf R. My old Lancer had 180,000 km on it when I sold it. Still on its first clutch.

Let's wait and see what they find. Has to be some sort of failure. The tech guy said he hadn't seen a clutch look like that since he sold his chipped WRX.

Users Country Flag
    I'm keen to hear what they say. I've also been driving manuals my entire driving life (25 years) and the clutch in my 7R is the one I fear the most. The clutch in my 120,000km Mk 5 GT Sport was better than this. I think they have pushed the clutch to the limits of drivability by making it super light on its action and very difficult to drive smoothly. I've never had as many problems with smooth shifts or unintentional slipping as I have with this.

In the last 500km, I've had 1 occasion where I sensed the beginning of some slip in 3rd under full acceleration. Not felt it since but it concerned me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    MY08 Mk5 GT Sport - sold
    MY14 Tiguan 118TSI - sold (Mazda3 SP25GT in its place)
    MY16 Golf 7R: sold (Caterham Super 7 and Hyundai i30N in its place)

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by Hillbilly View Post
    It wouldn't completely burned the clutch in short space of time.

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by Mattlock View Post
    I've never had as many problems with smooth shifts or unintentional slipping as I have with this.

In the last 500km, I've had 1 occasion where I sensed the beginning of some slip in 3rd under full acceleration. Not felt it since but it concerned me
    Hi Mattlock,
    Do you drive in Race mode? Or at least with the engine setting in sport? I do. All the time. To keep the flaps open. I always attributed the jerky clutch take up to the sharper throttle, or perhaps less synthesised fly wheel effect? You definitely require a different timing of the feet when in normal vs Race. Now I'm wondering if it's just a dodgy clutch action aimed at allowing 'non-drivers' to better enjoy a drivers car. Maybe I should only have had it in Race when flogging it it's not an issue I'll have with the wagon as a: it's DSG and b) wagons don't have flaps.

Also, I'd get your clutch looked at ASAP if the car is stock and under warranty. Otherwise let it fry and replace it with something better.

If they ask me to pay for mine, I'm not putting an original back in. I'm selling towards the end of the year anyway and an uprated clutch will be a selling point for anyone looking at a JB4 or the like.

Did the dealer mention anything about the flywheel? Any damage or will it be alright to go again with a new clutch?

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast