Thread: JB4 and my P3 Multigauge- CANbus running 2 devices

Users Country Flag

JB4 and my P3 Multigauge- CANbus running 2 devices

Hi Everyone,
    I am seeking advice on an impending situation regarding the install of a JB4 piggyback tune module.
    I currently have a P3 Cars Multigauge installed which is connected to the OBD2 port. I understand the JB4 also requires constant access to the OBD2 port. I believe there may be potential issues with both devices being connected to the CANbus at the same time- P3 Cars sell an OBD2 splitter for certain scenarios and will not recommend 2 devices running at the same time for legal reasons.
    I have read on other forums that people have had success in running 2 seperate devices off the OBD2 port but not necessarily the 2 devices that I want to run.
    I guess i'm trying to figure out if I should buy the splitter and give it a go or is this going to be too risky and cause problems?

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by SM80 View Post
    Hi Everyone,
    I am seeking advice on an impending situation regarding the install of a JB4 piggyback tune module.
    I currently have a P3 Cars Multigauge installed which is connected to the OBD2 port. I understand the JB4 also requires constant access to the OBD2 port. I believe there may be potential issues with both devices being connected to the CANbus at the same time- P3 Cars sell an OBD2 splitter for certain scenarios and will not recommend 2 devices running at the same time for legal reasons.
    I have read on other forums that people have had success in running 2 seperate devices off the OBD2 port but not necessarily the 2 devices that I want to run.
    I guess i'm trying to figure out if I should buy the splitter and give it a go or is this going to be too risky and cause problems?
    George from BMS strongly advises not to share the OBD ports with another device. But you're probably one of many in the same situation. Having that said that you could save the cash you'd spend on a splitter and put your money towards either the datacable or Bluetooth device which will probably produce more accurate numbers since it's coming from the JB1/4 instead of the ECU.

If you have the Discover head unit, an Android phone and the Bluetooth dongle the JB4 Mobile app does work on the head unit with MirrorLink. You could also go with the datacable and use an OTG with the Android phone and still see the gauges you're wanting. The only issue with the JB4 Mobile at the moment is no time is logged during speed runs as this has been disabled for the moment.

You could always sell your P3 if you're happy to part with it.

I've got the JB4 and Bluetooth en route, eagerly waiting for it's arrival
    Current:
    2023 Mk2 Tiguan R - Lapiz Blue
    2015 Mk7 Golf R Wolfsburg - Limestone Grey: Stage 2
    Gone but not forgotten: 2008 Polo GTI Shadow Blue

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Thanks for your input Servo! Much appreciated!
    I think I was leaning towards that anyway- selling my P3. I really don't want to as I do love the P3 but I absolutely cannot wait for my JB4 and do not want to compromise it's functionality and performance.
    Good point with the Bluetooth device- I might put the money from my P3 sale towards that.

I'd be interested if anyone else is in the same situation and what they will be doing?

I have a obd2 display (ultagauge), but the readings from the ecu are not real values, ie jb4 sends normal values so no flags come up. Well that's what I understand anyway.

Best would be the app or laptop on passager seat.
    Skoda RS 230
    "The Grey Ghost"
    SG-TP-AB RS230 - Timeline

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by HPRS230 View Post
    I have a obd2 display (ultagauge), but the readings from the ecu are not real values, ie jb4 sends normal values so no flags come up. Well that's what I understand anyway.

Best would be the app or laptop on passager seat.
    This is the JB4 mobile app running on my Samsung S5 using the OTG cable direct from the JB4 unit (there is also a bluetooth JB4 adaptor if you don't want to use the cable, live data, logging, programming on the fly. I use a Aerpro vent mounted magnet for the phone.

JB4 and my P3 Multigauge- CANbus running 2 devices-jb4-04-png
    2017 MY18 Golf R Wolfsburg | Oryx White | DSG / 2021 MY21 T-Cross Style | S+V Package | Limestone Grey

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by rosslm View Post
    This is the JB4 mobile app running on my Samsung S5 using the OTG cable direct from the JB4 unit (there is also a bluetooth JB4 adaptor if you don't want to use the cable, live data, logging, programming on the fly. I use a Aerpro vent mounted magnet for the phone.

JB4 and my P3 Multigauge- CANbus running 2 devices-jb4-04-png

how do you talk on the phone when you get a phone call?
    im going to keep using the p3 giage once my JB4 comes, I will just use the tab into the OBD2 power and then run a boost tap for the boost readings
    "Forced induction" sounds like some sort of sexual assault.
    i drive a Golf 7R tuned by APR + exoticars

Users Country Flag
    Use the inbuilt car bluetooth phone works as normal

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Quote Originally Posted by tuzii View Post
    how do you talk on the phone when you get a phone call?
    im going to keep using the p3 giage once my JB4 comes, I will just use the tab into the OBD2 power and then run a boost tap for the boost readings
    Do you have the Multi gauge or just the Boost? What do you mean by tab into the OBD2 power?

Users Country Flag

I've contacted p3 about this if anyones interested, got the following response;

The "ANLG" mode only works on the latest "track pack" software... it was originally created for BMW vehicles running JB4, we updated it last fall to work with VW as well, and properly turn on and off without accessing canbus.

As the JB4 becomes more popular for VW models, we will try and create a compatible version that works along with it directly.

-Rick

Thanks for the reply Rick,

I purchased the p3 gauge last october thru Vw Central in Australia and it included the track pack, would that have the lastest software? If it doesnt and I only use the analog boost readout is it still accessing canbus?

Hi,

That was right before the update, the gauge accesses RPM in the background at all times, so it uses canbus even on the boost mode. If the JB4 is working properly while running both, you might be OK... the gauge doesn't use a ton of bandwidth. You can buy the latest track pack with free shipping at https://www.p3cars.com/shop/accessor...pack-software/

-Rick

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk