Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: GTI 40 edition - RATTLE

Users Country Flag

Just how loud is this sound as I can't say I've noticed such a thing on mine and I do have the fuel lines rattle but that is an easy fix. Do you need to have the stereo off and pay attention to notice or it is prominent over other sounds?

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by GTI40 View Post
    Turbo has been replaced and I have been advised the rattle is a normal characteristic of the vehicle.

Formal complaint has been lodged with VW. I won't allow them to **** me over. To be continued.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
    Hi GTI40,

I have been through the exact same thing with my MY16 Golf R. They've replaced the turbo and nothing has changed.

It's not a normal characteristic of the car. VW just don't have a solution yet and that's what they are telling people. It's pretty poor to be honest. Please let me know how you go with it as I am too not satisfied with the response I have been given and considering going further with it.

Thanks.

My R does the same thing. Rate under load more noticeable when cold.

I had wastegate rattle on a forester XT years ago and found that the rod from the actuator to the waste gate hinge wasn't adjustable like some are. I ended up flexing the bracket that the actuator bolts to towards the gate to then in turn put more pressure against the gate to close and not flutter. Fixed it.

Haven't popped the Rs bonnet but if it's the same setup could be that simple. Or even simpler if the rod is adjustable.

Just a thought...

Had wastegate rattle in my MY15 GTI. Luckily don't in the 40. Plenty of plastic creaks though when the chassis flexes. Like going up a driveway a wheel at a time. Didn't have that in the GTI.

Users Country Flag

How did you go?

Quote Originally Posted by GTI40 View Post
    Turbo has been replaced and I have been advised the rattle is a normal characteristic of the vehicle.

Formal complaint has been lodged with VW. I won't allow them to **** me over. To be continued.

Hi GTI40

I'm new to this forum so excuse me if I'm not using it correctly, but I've got a GTI 40 years edition with a rattle that's at the dealership now. They don't seem to know what it is but suggested changing the turbo. Just wanted to see how you went with yours?

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by GOLF40years View Post
    Hi GTI40

I'm new to this forum so excuse me if I'm not using it correctly, but I've got a GTI 40 years edition with a rattle that's at the dealership now. They don't seem to know what it is but suggested changing the turbo. Just wanted to see how you went with yours?

Cheers
    I had my turbo replaced 2 times until they got it right.

At first VW claimed sound was normal. I complained and complained. They then agreed the turbo was faulty and replaced it with the same model. This was also too faulty.

After much more complaining they replaced with new updated version.

It is now operating as it should. I am surprised that they still continue to claim very noticeable rattling as normal for others.

Users Country Flag
    Hi, did they confirm what model turbo was on the gti40 as we should all have the revised on there already? Ta

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Volkswagen Mk7 Golf GTI 40Y Clubsport
    Tuned by Tarmac Engineering / Spectune
    @ Bayside Performance Services Cleveland Brisbane

Mk6 models with wastegate rattles could be fixed for good with a clip. How isn't it that simple with these?

I found what’s been rattling in the mid of the dashboard at 2-3k rpm on my gti 40. I disconnected the soundaktor and it was rattle free since then.

Quote Originally Posted by DU30 View Post
    I found what’s been rattling in the mid of the dashboard at 2-3k rpm on my gti 40. I disconnected the soundaktor and it was rattle free since then.
    Genuine mk1 gti experience?

Sent from my SM-T710 using Tapatalk
    2013 MY13.5 Passat V6 Highline Wagon. Watch this space
    GONE:2017 MY18 Skoda RS169 Wagon w/ Tech & Lux, 2007 VW MKV Golf GTi

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast