Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 412131415 LastLast

Thread: Golf R Metallic Ringing Noise

Users Country Flag

Has anyone considered the wastegate actuator rod rattle that affects TSI 2.0 engines? (Covered in the GTI 40th edition thread)
    MY11 Tiguan 125TSI | 4Motion | DSG | APR Stage 2 | GolfR IC | HF turbo outlet + throttle pipes | CAI | 3" DP

Ceres_mining_co's Tiguan build

Quote Originally Posted by Rufus1000 View Post
    Hi
    I have a 110 TSI and get the metallic ringing at low speeds and on acceleration. Been there since day one. Seems this affects all Golfs?
    I've got the same issue with my 103TSI. Seems to correlate with the amount of fuel that I'm sending into the engine as far as I can tell and it's more audible in cold weather. I just had the turbo actuator replaced and the issue remains and is almost identical to when I dropped the car off. The noise wasn't there when I picked it up new and it wasn't present on any of the 90TSI engine loan cars I've borrowed. I also didn't notice it at all on several 110TSY MY16s I have been in as an Uber passenger (including one I test drove).

I've got a case with VW customer care but not seeing much traction yet.

Users Country Flag
    I need to add my MK7.5 R to the fuel line annoying buzz list at about 1000km after starting to rev the car more I noticed a buzz from the drivers foot well area, particularly noticeable in S mode slowing for roundabouts corners etc, the buzz was their 25% of the time in these situations from about 2300 rpm it could even be replicated at times in neutral from 2300 rpm. Having had a MK7 R with zero noises this has been annoying. I mentioned it at the 1500km checkup the tech acknowledged the buzz, checked trims etc. but the buzz was still there I had a longer run have now done 3000km buzz still there. Went back to the dealer once but no buzz. But I could still replicate it on any given day. I have gone through a lot of forums and everything points to the fuel lines after leaving the engine room into the under floor channel, nylon ties and packing appear to be the fix.

This is the noise mentioned in another post

YouTube

This is what I did as a temporary fix 2 layers of adhesive felt stuck together about 20cm long 3cm wide with 15cm cut twice so as to dangle and then pushed cut end into the channel from the engine room below the brake booster, stuck a few cm to the plastic fuel line cover, result is zero buzz quite amazing.

See the felt stuck onto the plastic fuel pipe cover as it exits the engine room

Golf R Metallic Ringing Noise-r-2017-12-14-png

I've got the car booked in next week hopefully to get a permanent fix.

It's pretty amazing that such a minor detail can turn into something so annoying, can't see how this is overlooked in production, it obviously doesn't effect all cars but one is too many.

Apart from that the R is fantastic.

Just to add there is no evidence of the turbo ringing noise in the new 7.5 R which I had in the previous R, it never did annoy me in any case as it was not that loud and very brief in duration at 3000 rpm.
    Last edited by rosslm; 16-12-2017 at 11:47 AM.
    2017 MY18 Golf R Wolfsburg | Oryx White | DSG / 2021 MY21 T-Cross Style | S+V Package | Limestone Grey

Users Country Flag
    I've just come across this thread...

My MY16 7R has just had its 2nd 30,000km service (with 29,000km on the clock), I reported a long list of items for the dealer to investigate, the main ones being:

1. The parking brake (the green handbrake light) sounding like it wasn't adjusted properly (pads rubbing when the car was cold)
    2. The gear stick reverse collar sticking after reverse was engaged and 'popping' up.
    3. Metallic rattling sound from the engine bay at around 2,000RPM and loud enough to be heard even when in Race Mode.

The first one was (mostly) fixed with a software update (although it's not quite right and has introduced some other gremlins like refusing to engage at all).

The second one resulted in a physical fix of some description which has vastly improved the entire gear-changing process. The gear stick now engages in every gear far more positively and there is less slop and play when traversing neutral.

The third one requires a complete replacement turbo and the rattling is getting louder. Replacement was meant to be today but will now be next week instead. It will be done under warranty.
    MY08 Mk5 GT Sport - sold
    MY14 Tiguan 118TSI - sold (Mazda3 SP25GT in its place)
    MY16 Golf 7R: sold (Caterham Super 7 and Hyundai i30N in its place)

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by Mattlock View Post
    I've just come across this thread...

My MY16 7R has just had its 2nd 30,000km service (with 29,000km on the clock), I reported a long list of items for the dealer to investigate, the main ones being:

1. The parking brake (the green handbrake light) sounding like it wasn't adjusted properly (pads rubbing when the car was cold)
    2. The gear stick reverse collar sticking after reverse was engaged and 'popping' up.
    3. Metallic rattling sound from the engine bay at around 2,000RPM and loud enough to be heard even when in Race Mode.

The first one was (mostly) fixed with a software update (although it's not quite right and has introduced some other gremlins like refusing to engage at all).

The second one resulted in a physical fix of some description which has vastly improved the entire gear-changing process. The gear stick now engages in every gear far more positively and there is less slop and play when traversing neutral.

The third one requires a complete replacement turbo and the rattling is getting louder. Replacement was meant to be today but will now be next week instead. It will be done under warranty.
    How long have you had the rattling around 2000 rpm, sounds suspiciously like the fuel line buzz (also sounds a bit metallic like a heat shield) very noticeable negotiating roundabouts and corners in S mode as the gears changed down increasing revs into the 2000-3000 rpm range my previous 7R had no fuel line buzz but I could faintly here the turbo bell ring at 3000 rpm but this never was annoying unlike the fuel line buzz.
    2017 MY18 Golf R Wolfsburg | Oryx White | DSG / 2021 MY21 T-Cross Style | S+V Package | Limestone Grey

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by rosslm View Post
    The buzz in the Youtube video sounds very different to the metallic ringing in my car. My ringing is a much higher pitch noise, like a bell ringing softly. The buzz in the video sounds much more low pitch.

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by rosslm View Post
    How long have you had the rattling around 2000 rpm, sounds suspiciously like the fuel line buzz (also sounds a bit metallic like a heat shield) very noticeable negotiating roundabouts and corners in S mode as the gears changed down increasing revs into the 2000-3000 rpm range my previous 7R had no fuel line buzz but I could faintly here the turbo bell ring at 3000 rpm but this never was annoying unlike the fuel line buzz.
    It’s been there since the day I bought it. It’s just now got loud enough and continuous enough for me to do something about it.

My dealer confirmed with a test drive that it’s the turbo rather than the fuel line. As others have said, it’s a bell ringing sound but I do have a buzzing that probably is the fuel line but I’ve never been able to put my finger on it (sounds like it’s coming from the back of the car).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    MY08 Mk5 GT Sport - sold
    MY14 Tiguan 118TSI - sold (Mazda3 SP25GT in its place)
    MY16 Golf 7R: sold (Caterham Super 7 and Hyundai i30N in its place)

Users Country Flag
    Just had my car in for its 2 year service. Reported the bell ringing noise and was told that it's "normal".

Just picked up my brand new Mk 7.5 Golf R a week ago.
    Wearing it in slowly. I quite the car, but hate the rattling. Makes the car feel cheap and tacky like a '94 Hyundai.

I have rattles from
    1. Both driver and passenger door trims caused by road vibrations and music - stops with application of pressure
    2. Rearview mirror housing rattle caused by Soundaktor and music.
    3. Soundaktor rattle
    4. Dreaded 3K RPM metallic ringing noise.

really disappointing for a $57,000 car.

I'm not so concerned about the first 3, as there are solutions for these and are being fixed under warranty.
    Nothing (yet) can be done about the metallic ringing noise.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptianAndg View Post
    Just picked up my brand new Mk 7.5 Golf R a week ago.
    Wearing it in slowly. I quite the car, but hate the rattling. Makes the car feel cheap and tacky like a '94 Hyundai.

I have rattles from
    1. Both driver and passenger door trims caused by road vibrations and music - stops with application of pressure
    2. Rearview mirror housing rattle caused by Soundaktor and music.
    3. Soundaktor rattle
    4. Dreaded 3K RPM metallic ringing noise.

really disappointing for a $57,000 car.

I'm not so concerned about the first 3, as there are solutions for these and are being fixed under warranty.
    Nothing (yet) can be done about the metallic ringing noise.
    I’ve got similar rattles on my 2mth old 7.5R. Dealer only did the soundaktor fix, but there’s still rattles. Did you have any luck with the others? If so, which dealer?

Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 412131415 LastLast