Support VWWC

Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 LastLast

Thread: Golf R Metallic Ringing Noise

Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by CasualOccurrence View Post
    Hi All,

I've posted something similar on VWGolfAU, but figured it's worth posting here as well.

I've been following this thread and others like it for a while, even more so after my Golf R developed the rattle under load between 1500-2500 RPM.

At 2439KM, I put my car through for a warranty service. Going through the invoice, the warranty work was performed in conjunction with TPI 2041451/2. The warranty work took about a day and a half (also had a window switch issue which contributed to the time taken) but I can confirm that since the work, I've had no rattle.

I checked my turbo revision before and after the warranty work to document the issue (pictures available on request):
    Old: 06K 145 722H
    New: 06K 145 722T (also listed in the parts listing on invoice)

I've done a bit more research and found that since the H revision, there has been 4 further revisions according to APR in this post - N, P. S and finally, T. It's still early days and only driven the car once since pick up, but I do not have any rattle!

I know I'm more likely to be the exception and not the rule so I'll keep you guys posted. If anyone's in Sydney (Hurstville area), I'm also happy meet up, have you look and listen. It's a frustrating issue to say the least with half of us having to go Stage 2 to fix the issue on an otherwise amazing car so I hope this comes as positive news..

Edit: My build date: 04.2016 (not sure if this will come in handy)
    I have a 2016 R build week 42 2015, now done 21,000km I checked my turbo it is also 06K 145 722H the R has been a fantastic drive even more so now with the JB4 upgrade. That being said I have heard the 'bell' sound occasionally around 3000 rpm but it has never really annoyed me, perhaps because I'm usually going through 3000rpm briefly while accelerating or because 3000rpm in sixth is well over legal freeway speeds, I am also older so my hearing would not be a sensitive to the higher frequency and with so many other good sounds going on in the R it is not so obvious. But that is good info keep us posted on how the 06K 145 722T version performs.
    2017 MY18 Golf R Wolfsburg | Oryx White | DSG / 2021 MY21 T-Cross Style | S+V Package | Limestone Grey

Users Country Flag
    Hi all,

A quick update - I've since driven the car a little bit and still no rattle..

I'm also think that they changed the orientation of the heat shield as before, it was in between the turbo and the bonnet and now it's between the the turbo and the engine, but I'm not 100% sure on this point.

I'm definitely chuffed that there's not more annoying rattle and tempted to say that the 722T revision may be the fix we've been waiting for.

Users Country Flag
    Hi everyone,

An update from me.

Turbo was replaced with the 'T' revision last Wednesday. Unfortunately, this hasn't fixed my issue. 'Rattle' is still there.

I guess my only option now is an aftermarket down pipe. I'm sick and tired of the back and forth with the dealer and getting told 'Road tested and OK' every time I pick up the car.

Here's a video of the rattle (After ALL the "repairs"). Sorry it took so long to post it up and for the wind noise from the vents. https://youtu.be/DxOM_6hmtH0

Cheers

As an FYI i have read the 17 models have a revised downpipe, ill see if i can find any additional info or part numbers.

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by monkeysrus View Post
    As an FYI i have read the 17 models have a revised downpipe, ill see if i can find any additional info or part numbers.
    Thanks mate. Would be interesting to see if they changed the flex cage.

Users Country Flag
    Any luck with finding more info on the revised DP?

Users Country Flag
    Hello, people of Australia.

Just want to chime in with a data point from the states, because this thread in particular has been so chock full of information on this issue.

I just installed an AWE downpipe. Not sure if you're familiar with this brand, but it's from one of the only companies in the states that guarantees no CEL without a Stage 2 tune. So I'm running with this downpipe, and the rest of the car is basically stock: no tune, stage 1 or otherwise.

Rattle is still there. If there's any doubt, it's much like vw747's report (YouTube) with a faint, high-pitched ting-ting-tinging on load; particularly bad going up hills.

Dealers here don't seem to have the patience to diagnose this issue, and as far as I know no TSB/Recall or any word from VGA on it either.

Users Country Flag
    For reference, here's what the AWE downpipe looks like:

Hi
    I have a 110 TSI and get the metallic ringing at low speeds and on acceleration. Been there since day one. Seems this affects all Golfs?

Users Country Flag Thread Starter

Anyone have any thoughts on whether the Akrapovic titanium exhaust that you can spec as an option on the 7.5 Golf R might fix the problem..?

Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 LastLast