Thread: Golf MK7 R - indicator stalk "crack" sound when turning

Users Country Flag

Golf MK7 R - indicator stalk "crack" sound when turning

Hi all,

I'm trying my very best not to sound insane while writing this. Here goes... During lower speed turns with the indicators on, if I turn the steering wheel more than half a rotation I get a "crack" sound which I feel is coming from somewhere on the indicator stalk, or where the stalk meets the steering column.

I know, I know, cars and plastics make sounds and it doesn't mean anything is wrong, but it seriously sounds like someone is snapping a dry twig. I've had a passenger say "Did something just break?" Not the normal kind of soft clunk of an indicator self-cancelling.

Maybe because the noise insulation is so good in the car that it stands out, I don't know.

The sound is repeatable and comes on at the same point, so I'm assuming it is something about a groove or datum point on the indicator stalk as the steering wheel turns.

I've tried to adjust the steering wheel position, had a look for broken plastics, and can't really see anything out of the ordinary.

Has anyone else noticed this and come up with a way to stop it? It may be normal but I've never heard it in another car and I've owned many.

Users Country Flag
    I don't get anything like that sound in mine. In my old Mk5, I could manually get a similar sound if I used my hand to hold the indicator on and returned the steering wheel back to the point where self-cancellation would try to turn it off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    MY08 Mk5 GT Sport - sold
    MY14 Tiguan 118TSI - sold (Mazda3 SP25GT in its place)
    MY16 Golf 7R: sold (Caterham Super 7 and Hyundai i30N in its place)

Users Country Flag

Actually, having paid careful attention to my car today, it does make a feint crack when I turn the wheel about half a turn. It's only very quiet and I've only noticed it today after reading this thread.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    MY08 Mk5 GT Sport - sold
    MY14 Tiguan 118TSI - sold (Mazda3 SP25GT in its place)
    MY16 Golf 7R: sold (Caterham Super 7 and Hyundai i30N in its place)