Page 8 of 20 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast

Thread: Golf mk7: Auto Start/Stop disable switch - who wants to help?

Users Country Flag

My questions above beautifully illustrated:

Golf mk7: Auto Start/Stop disable switch - who wants to help?-where-flap-jpg

Golf mk7: Auto Start/Stop disable switch - who wants to help?-does-come-off-jpg

Golf mk7: Auto Start/Stop disable switch - who wants to help?-gap-much-bigger-jpg

Golf mk7: Auto Start/Stop disable switch - who wants to help?-where-groove-jpg

Golf mk7: Auto Start/Stop disable switch - who wants to help?-where-cover-jpg
    2016 GTI Performance | Pure White | JB1 | Dog Bone | Full Tint | Stop/Start Delete | Avatar by sandwg

Hopefully this picture might make sense.
    It's clipped around the side edge halfway along.
    I unclipped it fairly easily with a thin small screw driver in the gap where the pink line is.
    It then folds back towards the wires - see arrows.
    That's why it looks odd in the first picture I have.
    This flap stops the wires coming out because the crimp gets blocked by the flap edge.
    Once the flap is out the way you push the spring bit shown in the first picture while pulling out the wire at the same time.
    You shouldn't need much force.
    I'll have a look tonight at my pictures if there was a better view or part number.
    Hopefully I'll install my SMD PCB on the weekend so I can take some more pictures if they're required.
    MY21 Golf MK8 GTI | Kings Red Metallic | all options |
    MY16 Golf MK7 GTI PP | White | With Leather |
    MY11 Golf MK6 GTI DSG | CW | 5dr | Bi-Xenons | ACC | 18" Detroits | RNS510 with Dynaudio| RVC | MDI |

Users Country Flag
    Ahhhhhhh that seems much clearer now. The first photo of yours made it look like there was some block there! Funny how camera angles can paint a totally different picture.

I'll give that a try after work and see if I can get to those pesky pins. I have to say I spent a long time look for the clip and could not see it. Did you fluke it, or did you know what you were looking for? I'm guessing the latter lol. I'll try and take photos when I do the install.
    2016 GTI Performance | Pure White | JB1 | Dog Bone | Full Tint | Stop/Start Delete | Avatar by sandwg

Yes the camera angle does look odd even though I know how the connector comes apart.

I've pulled a few connectors apart in my time and I could just see the "Hook bits" on the edge so had a go un-clipping the flap.
    It came off pretty easily.
    It's pretty rare that you can't get pins out of most multipin connectors somehow.
    MY11 Golf MK6 GTI DSG | CW | 5dr | Bi-Xenons | ACC | 18" Detroits | RNS510 with Dynaudio| RVC | MDI |

Slightly better look at the side of the connector in this picture.

Users Country Flag
    I see it now. Thank you! I'll give it a shot tomorrow - I was late home from work after a doctors appointment started an hour and a half after my appointment time so I'm not in the kind of mood conducive to pulling expensive toys apart lol.

Here's a picture of my finished PCB with components.
    You can see it's fairly small compared to the 20cent piece.

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by AJW View Post
    Here's a picture of my finished PCB with components.
    You can see it's fairly small compared to the 20cent piece.
    Jebus that's tiny! Did you make that PCB yourself? If you used Eagle you could probably get the whole thing down to somewhere between a 10c and 20c piece...in all dimensions.

So anyway, I installed my device this afternoon. Had one issue with adding the wires as the one's on my S/S device were too thick and I didn't have replacement wire. I also didn't have the patience to buy some different wire either given an issue I had as a result of the S/S system yesterday. So anyway - done in a rush but here it all is:

Taking the console apart.

Taking the connector apart.

Pulling the pins out.

Adding the first wire.

Adding the final wire. Apologies for holding the switch off camera.

Testing the S/S device.

Putting it all back together.

Basically I just filmed it in bits because it was easier. I hate my voice.
    Last edited by mattaus; 12-11-2015 at 07:54 PM.

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Quote Originally Posted by mattaus View Post
    Jebus that's tiny! Did you make that PCB yourself? If you used Eagle you could probably get the whole thing down to somewhere between a 10c and 20c piece...in all dimensions.

So anyway, I installed my device this afternoon. Had one issue with adding the wires as the one's on my S/S device were too thick and I didn't have replacement wire. I also didn't have the patience to buy some different wire either given an issue I had as a result of the S/S system yesterday. So anyway - done in a rush but here it all is:

Taking the console apart.

Taking the connector apart.

Pulling the pins out.

Adding the first wire.

Adding the final wire. Apologies for holding the switch off camera.

Testing the S/S device.

Putting it all back together.

Basically I just filmed it in bits because it was easier. I hate my voice.
    Matt: ain't nothing wrong with you voice at all, An excellent Aussie twang to be proud of - I reckon that you have another calling as a film maker if you ever want to leave the day job!!

Seriously, great effort and thanks for taking the time to help-out with the project - much appreciated.

I like that your video shows the quick way of taking-off the gear lever gaiter and the easy way of removing the "C" section plastic bit. I'm certain that it will now be a lot easier for others to get access to these bits given that they have access to your video.

My apology for not thinking about the wire size issue when I made the test unit that I sent up (careless of me). I will add notes to all my designs stressing this point in the instructions (btw: the actual size of the VW wires is 0.35 mm2).

Again, my thanks for your help - this is a good example of how forums like this should operate (i.e. as a collegiate exercise)
    Don
    Last edited by DV52; 13-11-2015 at 02:26 PM.
    Please don't PM to ask questions about coding, or vehicle repairs. The better place to deal with these matters is on-line, in the forum proper. That way you get the benefit of the expertise of the wider forum! Thank you.

Users Country Flag

Haha thanks Don. I guess I'm so used to hearing Americans presenting Youtube tutorials that it sounds odd to hear any other accent!

Quote Originally Posted by DV52 View Post
    My apology for not thinking about the wire size issue when I made the test unit that I sent up (careless of me). I will add notes to all my designs stressing this point in the instructions (btw: the actual size of the VW wires is 0.35 mm2).
    No need to apologise. I had the wire in front of me and didn't even think about it until I tried sticking the receptacle back in. The end solution isn't as clean as AJW's, but I still like it better than cutting the wire's altogether as I was initially going to do. I'm happy with the results

Page 8 of 20 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast