Page 5 of 20 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: Golf mk7: Auto Start/Stop disable switch - who wants to help?

Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by DV52 View Post
    As discussed, I reckon that you should settle on some values for T1 and T2, then dab a dob of glue onto the two potentiometers. Then package-up the components into a sleeve of heat shrink tubing and semi-attach the device to the three wires (so that it can be removed if further modes are needed). Then just drive the car as normal and observe any idiosyncrasies that may arise (with the device- that is).
    I'll settle on some values pretty easily. I won't attempt to put it back in the car until I have a better way to install it and it may take some time to fine something that will aid with that. I'll also very probably take it all apart and re-assemble it. My eagerness probably got the better of me tonight. That said I'm only going to reassemble it so that it's better suited for wrapping. Might be a few days or even a week or two before it's ready to be installed back in the car.

EDIT: Found this picture whilst searching:

Golf mk7: Auto Start/Stop disable switch - who wants to help?-t10ks-connector-details-jpg

If the author's description is correct (and from the picture I have no reason to believe my connector is any different) I should be able to remove the 3 pins from the connector, wire directly into the pins themselves, and re-insert them. Not something an electronics noob should attempt so a DIY friendly method would still need to be devised. For extended testing purposes however, it should work a treat. I just need to purchase some much thinner gauge wire because the stuff I have is made for high current applications and will not fit inside the connector what-so-ever.
    Last edited by mattaus; 12-10-2015 at 10:10 PM.
    2016 GTI Performance | Pure White | JB1 | Dog Bone | Full Tint | Stop/Start Delete | Avatar by sandwg

Great job Mattaus + Don, at least we know it will work now - just looks like we need some more testing under various conditions.
    One thing that might be worth testing is using your mobile phone near the circuit, would be interesting if you could trigger it if you make a phone call. (That has me thinking I might shield mine).

Just noticed Mattaus that you've got the same car as me MY16 GTI PP White, although I'm still waiting for mine so it should be exactly the same and I can compare the results you're getting.

Interesting about the 2 V, wondering if your meter was picking up stray voltage around the switch terminals.
    In my experience any electronics that has mechanical switches attached will have some reasonable debouncing / Conditioning circuitry on the front end. Ideally it will be setup so that it doesn't need to see a dead short to ground to activate and can expect to see some noise on the line and not trigger, especially in a harsh electronic environment like a car.
    The solid state relay that I'm using has a 1ohm on state and a 1000Mohm off state so I'll be surprised if the circuit is that fussy with the device. If it doesn't work I'll go back to a relay, I was using one before.

Looking at the connector picture I was going to try removing the pins if possible and solder wires directly onto contacts. I don't like having connectors between to many points, they cause issues latter on.
    MY21 Golf MK8 GTI | Kings Red Metallic | all options |
    MY16 Golf MK7 GTI PP | White | With Leather |
    MY11 Golf MK6 GTI DSG | CW | 5dr | Bi-Xenons | ACC | 18" Detroits | RNS510 with Dynaudio| RVC | MDI |

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    F
    Quote Originally Posted by mattaus View Post

EDIT: Found this picture whilst searching:

Matt: If my guess is correct, this picture comes from a fellow forum colleague called SHFT (EDIT: picture was clearly posted by Golfdave -link here). Anyhow, unfortunately for some, the pic tells more of a story than your clever suggestion about removing the pins.

If you look carefully at the picture, you will see that there are no wires for PIN# 9 and PIN# 10 on the connector(bummer!!). Notwithstanding that the picture was taken from a UK vehicle, this means that for those mk7 models that don't have a TCS/ESP button (like mine), the option of using PIN# 10 for T15 supply to the mono doesn't exist (Bummer, again!!). So for this variant mk7, the switched 12Volt supply would need to be spliced into the ciggy socket.

The next time that you pull the centre console switch apart, can you see if there is another Black/Yellow wire (other than on PIN #10) in the vicinity - please. In particular, I'm hoping that the wire to the ciggy socket is routed somewhere in the area of the panels that need to be removed near the centre console switches- fingers crossed!

Don

EDIT: attribution for picture corrected
    Last edited by DV52; 13-10-2015 at 10:50 PM.
    Please don't PM to ask questions about coding, or vehicle repairs. The better place to deal with these matters is on-line, in the forum proper. That way you get the benefit of the expertise of the wider forum! Thank you.

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by AJW View Post
    Great job Mattaus + Don, at least we know it will work now - just looks like we need some more testing under various conditions.
    One thing that might be worth testing is using your mobile phone near the circuit, would be interesting if you could trigger it if you make a phone call. (That has me thinking I might shield mine).
    I will test this when I hook everything back up and report back. Not sure when that will be as I'm considering making a PCB to put the relay on because my manual soldering skills suck and there is a two to three week turnaround from OSHPark

Just noticed Mattaus that you've got the same car as me MY16 GTI PP White, although I'm still waiting for mine so it should be exactly the same and I can compare the results you're getting.
    I don't have leather, but the mixed interior on the PP is quite nice I'd be worried if we get different results lol! Then again my DMM isn't exactly Fluke quality...

Looking at the connector picture I was going to try removing the pins if possible and solder wires directly onto contacts. I don't like having connectors between to many points, they cause issues latter on.
    Not sure I follow what you want to do exactly? YOu mean remove the pins and replace them with your own, or juts wire into the existing pins like I intend on doing? When I'm done, all you'll see are two wires going into three of the pin gaps in the back of the plug. That's the plan anyway!

Matt: If my guess is correct, this picture comes from a fellow forum colleague called SHFT. I did some early work with his/her? thread in fitting an ESP button on his car (I'd forgotten). Anyhow, unfortunately for some, the pic tells more of a story than your clever suggestion about removing the pins.

If you look carefully at the picture, you will see that there are no wires for PIN# 9 and PIN# 10 on the connector(bummer!!). Notwithstanding that the picture was taken from a UK vehicle, this means that for those mk7 models that don't have a TCS/ESP button (like mine), the option of using PIN# 10 for T15 supply to the mono doesn't exist (Bummer, again!!). So for this variant mk7, the switched 12Volt supply would need to be spliced into the ciggy socket.

The next time that you pull the centre console switch apart, can you see if there is another Black/Yellow wire (other than on PIN #10) in the vicinity - please. In particular, I'm hoping that the wire to the ciggy socket is routed somewhere in the area of the panels that need to be removed near the centre console switches- fingers crossed!
    Don, that sucks! How are the other buttons in the cluster functioning then, or are there none in your model? From memory there are no wires on that side of the shifter, and the ciggie lighter is not easily accessible from the shifter cavity without pulling more panels. That being said, there is a wiring loom on the other side of the shifter for whatever buttons are on that side (only a parking sensor button on my car) so maybe that can be hooked into? I'll definitely take some pictures for you and see what I can find though
    2016 GTI Performance | Pure White | JB1 | Dog Bone | Full Tint | Stop/Start Delete | Avatar by sandwg

Don, that sucks! How are the other buttons in the cluster functioning then, or are there none in your model?
    Matt: I have an MY13 model which simply has the native VW S/S disable switch on the LHS bank and the park pilot switch on the RHS bank. Neither of these buttons have a T15 wire as they both short-to-earth a signal from their respective control modules (the BCM in the case of the S/S switch and the parking aid control unit in the case of park pilot switch)

Don
    Please don't PM to ask questions about coding, or vehicle repairs. The better place to deal with these matters is on-line, in the forum proper. That way you get the benefit of the expertise of the wider forum! Thank you.

Users Country Flag
    Matt: I have an MY13 model which simply has the native VW S/S disable switch on the LHS bank and the park pilot switch on the RHS bank. Neither of these buttons have a T15 wire as they both short-to-earth a signal from their respective control modules (the BCM in the case of the S/S switch and the parking aid control unit in the case of park pilot switch)

Don
    Got ya. I'll see what I can find next time I'm in the console

Got ya. I'll see what I can find next time I'm in the console
    Matt: Been a while since this thread got updated, so I thought that would write to say that I'm still waiting for the second mono-oscillator to arrive. Even though I got a fast delivery service on the second chip it seems to be taking an inordinate length of time to get through our customs process . I've updated my first post to include some basic tips, but when I build the new unit, I'll also include pics about construction.

So hang-in there and I'll let you know when I can ship-up the new device!
    Cheers
    Don

PS: I think that I have found an alternative method for building the device. Instead of basing the design on a delayed mono-stable oscillator, I'm experimenting with a neat little memory module that can perform the same function. It's also purchased off-the-shelf, it's physically smaller than the mono and it is completely self-contained (but it still needs the relay and the diodes for spike/noise suppression).

The memory module is fascinating in that it can be simply programmed without the need to use any other equipment. Absolutely brilliant concept (IMO) and it's so, so easy to use that even a silly old fart like me with a feeble and aging brain can understand how it works!! And it costs less than $20 AUD (plus delivery).

Anyway I'll write more about this when I get this alternative design working- but it looks very promising indeed.
    Last edited by DV52; 22-10-2015 at 11:31 AM.

Users Country Flag
    I think that I have found an alternative method for building the device. Instead of basing the design on a delayed mono-stable oscillator, I'm experimenting with a neat little memory module that can perform the same function. It's also purchased off-the-shelf, it's physically smaller than the mono and it is completely self-contained (but it still needs the relay and the diodes for spike/noise suppression).

The memory module is fascinating in that it can be simply programmed without the need to use any other equipment. Absolutely brilliant concept (IMO) and it's so, so easy to use that even a silly old fart like me with a feeble and aging brain can understand how it works!! And it costs less than $20 AUD (plus delivery).

Anyway I'll write more about this when I get this alternative design working- but it looks very promising indeed.
    As you say, very promising

Users Country Flag
    Very interested in this. I have the same issue I want to deal with on a Porsche Boxster that this could be used for......

here's a link to some similar solution for that issue FWIW:
    981 Sport Mode button hack - Page 4

May be of some assistance re VW.

Quote Originally Posted by fontana302 View Post
    Very interested in this. I have the same issue I want to deal with on a Porsche Boxster that this could be used for......

here's a link to some similar solution for that issue FWIW:
    981 Sport Mode button hack - Page 4

May be of some assistance re VW.
    Fontana: Hello and thanks for the link.

Yes, I did consider using an Arduino style chip - the Digispark seems to be a form of Arduino, but with less "smarts". But I discounted this design because others would need to download the delay program for establishing T1 and T2. It became fairly obvious after starting my research that off-the-shelf devices were readily available at a reasonable cost without the need for computer based programming.

The delayed Mono stable oscillator is an analogue example of how to generate these two time segments and the memory module (which could well be based on the Digispark concept) is a digital way of achieving the same function, but without needing any external software.

My quick reading of the Porsche site suggests that the same solution could apply, but the blog is delightfully vague about the actual circuit that needs to be circumvented to enable sports mode. Do you have any information (perhaps a section of the wiring diagram) indicating exactly what the sports mode switch does (I assume the boxer has a sports mode switch)?

Don

Page 5 of 20 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast