Page 2 of 68 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast

Thread: Golf Alltrack

Users Country Flag Thread Starter

Team_v isn't the Tig the same size as the Golf Hatch? The golf wagon on the other hand has pretty decent load carrying capacity/boot space and fills the compact family wagon segment. Adding AWD to the Wagon seems likely a clever marketing move (Passat Alltrack clearly a success and fits a larger wagon/premium point), and presents a pretty useful mid size AWD package on an already successful mk7 golf wagon platform.

Users Country Flag
    I agree, there are people who buy the wagons only and having the AWD Golf wagon is a good idea. I hope it makes it AU.

I think the Alltrack is a very sharp-looking wagon, and to be honest I don't see it overlapping too much with the Tiguan in terms of target market. The Alltrack is no larger than a Golf wagon, with a lower roofline and less off-road capability, but is more like a conventional car than an SUV and thus appeals to a very specific market. The Tiguan has (some) extra ground clearance and a lot more interior space (at least vertically) and arguably more practicality.

I see the Alltrack as appealing to the image-conscious looking for a stylish AWD wagon that can cope with dirt/muddy/gritty/snowy roads occasionally, but will generally be used in metro areas. The Tig I assume appeals more to families, those who need more versatile interior space, and those who actually want to do some off-roading (tracks, beaches) occasionally.
    2008 MkV Volkswagen Golf R32 DSG
    2005 MkV Volkswagen Golf 2.0 FSI Auto
    Sold: 2015 8V Audi S3 Sedan Manual
    Sold: 2010 MkVI Volkswagen Golf GTI DSG

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by team_v View Post
    I fear VW is trying to make the golf into an "it can do everything car" but by doing so will water down the model itself instead of having different products across the VW Brand that can do things better than others.
    That's how the treat the Golf in Europe. I'm surprised we haven't had the Golf+ here
    carandimage The place where Off-Topic is On-Topic
    I used to think I was anal-retentive until I started getting involved in car forums

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by brad View Post
    That's how the treat the Golf in Europe. I'm surprised we haven't had the Golf+ here
    It is basically a skoda scout so it could work in theory.
    However, Australians have tended towards SUV's over wagons in recent years (since the early 2000's).
    From memory Ford/Toyota didn't even release a wagon in their previous 2 falcon/camry models as demand was so low and people were buying a teritory/kluger instead as it was the same price or cheaper.

I think it is a bold move for VW to try a golf alltrack in the Aus market.
    Happy to be proven wrong though.

Users Country Flag
    SUVs are very dominant here; you are correct that the wagon variants were dropped by Ford/Toyota and Holden did likewise until they came up with the Sportwagon - I didn't particularly want to go back to Holden but I was sorely tempted by a Calais V8 wagon last year due to its still massive load capacity. It's about double the average mid-size SUV.

Not wanting to bring up boot space but the Tiguan boot was just a tad small for what we needed it for so ended up buying something else. It had reasonable inside room, and as Adam said - vertically - but the Golf (both 6 and 7) has always impressed me with the amount of room I have.

As nice as the vehicle we did buy is, in hindsight I would be definitely shopping a Golf or Octavia wagon next time around. This Alltrack would not be a requirement but would definitely get a look in - that little extra clearance and grip makes it a safer bet on dirt roads. Ideally though I would still choose a GTI wagon if it existed, or try and stretch to an R if they ever brought it out.

Otherwise maybe just settle for the AMG C63 Edition 507 Estate, that seems adequate.

--- FS: 2016 Golf GTI 40 years, white, DSG, 18,xxxkm -------------------------------------------------------------------
    2019 Audi SQ5 | 2016 Golf GTI CS + OZ UL HLTs | Retired: 2018 Audi RS3 sportback + OZ Leggera HLTs
    2017 Golf R Wolfsburg Sportwagen | 2016 BMW 340i + M-Performance tune/exhaust | 2015 Audi S3 sedan
    2014 Golf GTI + OZ Leggera HLTs | 2012 Polo 77TSI (hers) | 2010 Golf GTI Stage 2 + OZ ST LMs

Quote Originally Posted by Dutch77 View Post
    SUVs are very dominant here; you are correct that the wagon variants were dropped by Ford/Toyota and Holden did likewise until they came up with the Sportwagon - I didn't particularly want to go back to Holden but I was sorely tempted by a Calais V8 wagon last year due to its still massive load capacity. It's about double the average mid-size SUV.
    I think Holden is about the only one that has made a decent looking station wagon in quite a while. Pity about the fuel economy, depreciation and running costs but you can't have everything. Will be sad to see these things go when the local manufacturing shuts down in a couple of years.

Not wanting to bring up boot space but the Tiguan boot was just a tad small for what we needed it for so ended up buying something else. It had reasonable inside room, and as Adam said - vertically - but the Golf (both 6 and 7) has always impressed me with the amount of room I have.
    Not another boot space thread please!!!!

Yes Tiguan is on the small side with the boot, though for most stuff is workable. Rear seat room in the Tig is better than the Golf. Though the Octavia is a much better solution to space issues without going to a large car.... and liftback is very practical too.

As nice as the vehicle we did buy is, in hindsight I would be definitely shopping a Golf or Octavia wagon next time around. This Alltrack would not be a requirement but would definitely get a look in - that little extra clearance and grip makes it a safer bet on dirt roads. Ideally though I would still choose a GTI wagon if it existed, or try and stretch to an R if they ever brought it out.

Otherwise maybe just settle for the AMG C63 Edition 507 Estate, that seems adequate.
    How about a nice RS6 Avant - at least that way it's AWD

2017 Tiguan Sportline - Tigger73's 162TSI Sportline

2016 Scirocco R, stage 1, 205kwaw (sold) - Tigger73's Scirocco R Build
    2013 Tiguan 155TSI, stage 1, 144kwaw (sold) - Tigger73's 155TSI Build
    2011 Tiguan 125TSI, Stage 2+, 152kwaw (sold)
    - Tigger73's 125TSI Build

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by tigger73 View Post
    I think Holden is about the only one that has made a decent looking station wagon in quite a while. Pity about the fuel economy, depreciation and running costs but you can't have everything. Will be sad to see these things go when the local manufacturing shuts down in a couple of years.
    All horrible, although I was looking at low mileage second hand examples around $35-40k that had had their $20k + depreciation hit. I still love hearing my old man's SSV take off down our street, and while I was never going back to them I will be sad to see them go to.

Not another boot space thread please!!!!

Yes Tiguan is on the small side with the boot, though for most stuff is workable. Rear seat room in the Tig is better than the Golf. Though the Octavia is a much better solution to space issues without going to a large car.... and liftback is very practical too.

How about a nice RS6 Avant - at least that way it's AWD
    Seeing the tight squeeze on Junior Dubber's ridiculously large pram in the current ride, there was no way it would have fit in the Tiguan. They'd have needed at least another inch or two in depth........

Mmm RS6 Avant, in the tasty matte Daytona Premium Paint, yes please. I nominated the C63 as it's $120k less but still a German V8 wagon. While the future earning potential prospects have risen significantly of late, they haven't risen that far!

--- FS: 2016 Golf GTI 40 years, white, DSG, 18,xxxkm -------------------------------------------------------------------
    2019 Audi SQ5 | 2016 Golf GTI CS + OZ UL HLTs | Retired: 2018 Audi RS3 sportback + OZ Leggera HLTs
    2017 Golf R Wolfsburg Sportwagen | 2016 BMW 340i + M-Performance tune/exhaust | 2015 Audi S3 sedan
    2014 Golf GTI + OZ Leggera HLTs | 2012 Polo 77TSI (hers) | 2010 Golf GTI Stage 2 + OZ ST LMs

Users Country Flag

Pics

Golf Alltrack-2015_volkswagen_golf_alltrack_overseas_02-0924-460x272-jpg

Page 2 of 68 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast