Support VWWC

Page 15 of 37 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast

Thread: Golf 40th vs Golf R

Users Country Flag

I am thinking of replacing my MY16 manual Gti with a CS manual as those who prefer manuals can finally have the tricky diff and bigger brakes. My dealer is getting one in red which I like. My Mk 6 Gti, Mk 7 R and Mk 7 Gti have all been white so it's probably time for a change. The naysayers tell me that red won't be good for resale. What are everyone's thoughts on resale bearing in mind that there will only be 90 all up in manual?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Brycem View Post
    I am thinking of replacing my MY16 manual Gti with a CS manual as those who prefer manuals can finally have the tricky diff and bigger brakes. My dealer is getting one in red which I like. My Mk 6 Gti, Mk 7 R and Mk 7 Gti have all been white so it's probably time for a change. The naysayers tell me that red won't be good for resale. What are everyone's thoughts on resale bearing in mind that there will only be 90 all up in manual?

Thanks
    Manuals are a bit more of a known quantity in the second-hand car compared to a DSG. But you're also talking about a smaller market so you may have to wait until the right buyer come along.

2017 Tiguan Sportline - Tigger73's 162TSI Sportline

2016 Scirocco R, stage 1, 205kwaw (sold) - Tigger73's Scirocco R Build
    2013 Tiguan 155TSI, stage 1, 144kwaw (sold) - Tigger73's 155TSI Build
    2011 Tiguan 125TSI, Stage 2+, 152kwaw (sold)
    - Tigger73's 125TSI Build

Users Country Flag
    I've had no difficulty in selling manuals previously. It's the colour people are suggesting could be problematic but I'm hoping that will be offset by the fact that there will only be 90 manuals sold here so if someone wants a used manual Clubsport there won't be many to choose from (in contrast with normal gtis and Rs). Thoughts?

A decade to a decade and a half ago the mainstream models for private buyers were Commodore S/SV6 and Falcon XR6. Volkswagen is slowly becoming a mainstream model just like the sport Falcodores have been. The Golf 7 is now a top 10 seller in terms of overall number of sales in AUS. Especially is you take away Falcodore fleet sales.

In other words: The Volkswagen Golf GTI is the modern Commodore S/XR6 and the Golf R the XR8/SS imo. Over 20% of Golf sales are GTI's apparently. Lots of them out there now and this will only increase once Holden and Ford close shop in AUS imo. If you want to know what a Manual Transmission will do for resale & ease of selling, think back to Manual SV6/SS or manual XR6/XR8!

WJ
    Last edited by WhiteJames; 09-07-2016 at 12:07 PM.

Users Country Flag
    I came to Australia in 2009. 4 cylinder hot hatches are my thing. I know nothing of the behemoths produced by the dinosaurs.

I'll answer my own question. 90 Clubsport manuals total. My one will be red. When I sell in 2 years there won't be many for sale. If a buyer wants a manual Clubsport he will not be in a position to be too fussy about colour.

Users Country Flag
    i saw a red LE40 in the showroom a few days ago - i quite like the red - the grey on those might be a bit too dark otherwise that would be my first choice.

2016 -R- Limestone Grey

Golf 40th vs Golf R

https://www.ebay-kleinanzeigen.de/s-...60873-223-4885

A set of Clubsport Recaro's on eBay
    Last edited by xssiiv; 09-07-2016 at 03:50 PM.

Massive pity that VWA didn't include the Recaros in the Ed40 locally. Such nice seats.

Especially when you compare them to what we ended up with....

These seats with the Alacantra wrapped steering wheel - you would just want to drive the wheels off it!

2017 Tiguan Sportline - Tigger73's 162TSI Sportline

2016 Scirocco R, stage 1, 205kwaw (sold) - Tigger73's Scirocco R Build
    2013 Tiguan 155TSI, stage 1, 144kwaw (sold) - Tigger73's 155TSI Build
    2011 Tiguan 125TSI, Stage 2+, 152kwaw (sold)
    - Tigger73's 125TSI Build

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by WhiteJames View Post
    Another issue is why I'd steer clear of Clubsport ED40 GTI is that the new lighter Golf 7 GTI is getting to the stage where there is too much torque and power for such a light car, compromising traction, even at speed. Personally, I think the lighter Golf 8 GTI should take a step back and go to 1.8 or 1.6 turbo motor to make a more rounded car. WJ
    Seems you are basing this on FWD experiences 10-15 years ago. Those cars couldn't even handle 200bhp without torque steer and understeer issues but thankfully things have moved on a great deal and such behaviours are no more the case with todays's top FWD performance hatches. I can assure you after having driven a couple of them that you would struggle to tell for sure the car was FWD without knowing.

In what regards the MQB top FWD variants in particular, there is no lack of drive-ability at all, the lsd is working wonders and is actually offering additional anti-yaw characteristics compared to a traditional mechanical lsd and the chassis handles the added power no problem. If one thing could be told for the MK7 GTI is that it has a slightly lighter rear end, but the Clubsport addresses precisely this issue with its aerodynamics and suspension mods on the rear axle. Reports are that there is significantly more rear-end grip especially at higher speeds and a much more planted behaviour all around.

In fact, I put as much as 340Nm down quite easily on my last merely 1,200 kg tuned car which was even based on the much older and far less advanced PQ24 platform. I tracked the car, drove it hard on the road and never had an issue with the car being uncontrollable despite the nearly 40% increased power and torque compared to stock.

We're long past the times that manufacturers had to increase stability by adding weight, thank God for that. An optimized weight distribution and axle geometry, a focused chassis, an advanced e-lsd and a good set of tyres and you can be putting those 300bhp down under practically every situation.
    Last edited by ringo; 09-07-2016 at 07:48 PM.

Users Country Flag

For what it's worth I spent ages tossing up between Golf R and ED40/Clubsport and end up buying a Scirocco R because I felt it was better value than both of them, plus I preferred 2 doors, and the new facelifted Scirocco looks pretty mint in my opinion (and a bit more exclusive, don't see many around). That said both the Golf R and the ED40 are both excellent and very attractive cars
    His: F22 BMW M240i Coupe Hers: F56 Mini Cooper S JCW
    Previous:
    His:MY16 Scirocco R DSG - HP Stage 1, Racingline springs, RamAir CAI, MY11 Golf GTI Adidas DSG, APR st1, Carbonio Stage 1+2 intake, S2TPP shifters Hers: MY16 Polo GTI DSG, MY12 VW Up! 3 door manual

Page 15 of 37 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast