Support VWWC

Page 3 of 37 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Golf 40th vs Golf R

Users Country Flag Thread Starter

Golf 40th vs Golf R

See weird thing is a guy on Sunday bought the demo model that was on display and they wouldn't even let him drive it. Granted I think it had no plates but still pull out the temp plates and have a drive.

I might just flick them an email saying no test drive no deal then they can sell my ordered CS on the floor. It won't take long for it to go.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    GOLF GTI MY11 ADIDAS Candy White, Sunroof
    GOLF GTI 40th ED, White with Sunroof

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by Bassik View Post
    I would feel happy about either being in my garage, personally I think the R looks better. I love the twin BI-Xenons and LED on the front, love the amibent blue lighting and blue colour with silver highlights, just looks mean but classy. As for the 40th well it doesn't have these pluses but has a nicer steerwheel, better seats IMO and I'm a sucker for White/Black and Red.

As for the 40th it makes me feel like I'm 28 again, where as the R makes me feel like a well rounded adult...lol

Yeah they wont let me drive and this is basically because the car will sell itself and you "wont need to test drive it"

It's clear to me... I wont buy the car unless I can drive it....just plan and simple. You don't buy shoes without wearing them and these are $55k shoes...lol
    I agree on the R, I was fairly critical of it when first released but over time it has definitely grown on me - although I do wish they had retained the 'signature' centre exhausts. But that's for another thread.

I think the standard GTI is also a good look. However while I like the interior changes on the 40th/CS, that exterior just doesn't work for me - and the first mod would need to be a wheel change.

How big is the dealer who won't allow the drive?

In defence it is a limited run in short supply so it can be difficult sometimes to let stock out as demo - and if they have good demand then more than likely someone will snap it up without having driven it. Otherwise they face a bit of a haircut if they need to sell as a demo and can't easily find someone who wants to buy a thrashed car and don't have a ready new car to sell.

Back in 2010/11 when the wait times for GTIs and Rs was 6-8 months there were dealers pulling the same stunts with standard cars as well, and I don't recall it being super easy to find a test drive of the 35th.

--- FS: 2016 Golf GTI 40 years, white, DSG, 18,xxxkm -------------------------------------------------------------------
    2019 Audi SQ5 | 2016 Golf GTI CS + OZ UL HLTs | Retired: 2018 Audi RS3 sportback + OZ Leggera HLTs
    2017 Golf R Wolfsburg Sportwagen | 2016 BMW 340i + M-Performance tune/exhaust | 2015 Audi S3 sedan
    2014 Golf GTI + OZ Leggera HLTs | 2012 Polo 77TSI (hers) | 2010 Golf GTI Stage 2 + OZ ST LMs

Users Country Flag
    I can't see why anyone would want to buy a demo 40th CS when it is limited run (at this stage). I certainly know how I like to thrash demo cars because it isn't mine haha.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Users Country Flag
    Then they shouldn't sell cars on forward contracts with clauses saying 'subject to test drive'...

Feels disingenuous making that representation. Clearly what the dealership is doing is making representations that they have no intention of fulfilling in order to secure as many deposits as they can then using that to secure a larger allocation split from Germany.

I'm sure VW Corporate wouldn't be pleased to hear about it. My recommendation would be to report them to head office and take your business elsewhere.
    Last edited by Vagabond; 28-06-2016 at 01:13 PM.

Users Country Flag
    Sorry - hadn't realised there was a test drive clause in there.

That's damn stupid then. Although obviously creates an easy walk from the contract if Bassik is undecided on which way to go.

--- FS: 2016 Golf GTI 40 years, white, DSG, 18,xxxkm -------------------------------------------------------------------
    2019 Audi SQ5 | 2016 Golf GTI CS + OZ UL HLTs | Retired: 2018 Audi RS3 sportback + OZ Leggera HLTs
    2017 Golf R Wolfsburg Sportwagen | 2016 BMW 340i + M-Performance tune/exhaust | 2015 Audi S3 sedan
    2014 Golf GTI + OZ Leggera HLTs | 2012 Polo 77TSI (hers) | 2010 Golf GTI Stage 2 + OZ ST LMs

Users Country Flag
    If you like track work the lighter GTI Clubsport 40 may be OK but for everyday driving and engineering value a R is hard to beat, stock R ($55000) with a JB1 ($650) on 98RON you get 270KW 495NM and you can use this power wet or dry. It's a fantastic package for the price see Autocars top 5 Top 5 cars on sale today | Autocar
    2017 MY18 Golf R Wolfsburg | Oryx White | DSG / 2021 MY21 T-Cross Style | S+V Package | Limestone Grey

Golf 40th vs Golf R

My dealer just got their first one in stock and is available to buy.
    Last edited by xssiiv; 28-06-2016 at 05:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by xssiiv View Post

My dealer just got their first one in stock and is available to buy.
    Wow what dealer is that at and see they have it in stock with no allocation.

Might I add the miscommunication. In the contract it says "subject to site visit" but verbally speaking I said test drive. Obviously they have kept this in their best interest to reserve this as a technicality. However it does state "refund of deposit".

I called the dealership today and asked if I could test drive. The guy said no way however there was someone in the dealership that had also ordered one and it was up to her to let me drive. Honestly I'm happy to go as a passenger. Her's arrive on the 1st of July and my salesman goes on holiday on 1st of July as well... wonder what happens.

It's in Wollongong, might be spoken for but on the floor for now.

Golf 40th vs Golf R

Quote Originally Posted by rosslm View Post
    If you like track work the lighter GTI Clubsport 40 may be OK but for everyday driving and engineering value a R is hard to beat, stock R ($55000) with a JB1 ($650) on 98RON you get 270KW 495NM and you can use this power wet or dry. It's a fantastic package for the price see Autocars top 5 Top 5 cars on sale today | Autocar
    This JB1 bolt on is a substitute for remapping the ECU, like a COB or APR tune am I correct? I also noticed this vid on the dogbone insert. Improves gears shifting and limit drive train movement?

Some guy on weekend saying a bolt on is far better then remapping ECU. 270kw is nut!!!
    Last edited by Bassik; 28-06-2016 at 10:03 PM.

Page 3 of 37 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast