View Poll Results: Did you buy an extended warranty for your MK7?

Voters
9. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

5 55.56%
  • No

4 44.44%
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Extended Warranty - discussion and questions

Users Country Flag

Extended Warranty - discussion and questions

Hey guys,

Have put an order in for a new Golf Highline and I've got the opportunity to extend out the warranty by 2 years to 5 for 15 hundy.

Now, I'm inclined to do it as I think I may end up keeping the car for a while, and will likely make it easier on resale if I decide to keep it for less time.

Anyone done this and reckon its worth it? I had heard some mumblings that the factory warranty had actually been extended on the DSG (my main point of concern) on the MK7's anyway..

Users Country Flag
    If it's genuine factory as opposed to an after market insurance warranty AND it is priced reasonably AND you think you will keep the car five years then yes.

If the answer to any of those is no, then I'd save your cash.

--- FS: 2016 Golf GTI 40 years, white, DSG, 18,xxxkm -------------------------------------------------------------------
    2019 Audi SQ5 | 2016 Golf GTI CS + OZ UL HLTs | Retired: 2018 Audi RS3 sportback + OZ Leggera HLTs
    2017 Golf R Wolfsburg Sportwagen | 2016 BMW 340i + M-Performance tune/exhaust | 2015 Audi S3 sedan
    2014 Golf GTI + OZ Leggera HLTs | 2012 Polo 77TSI (hers) | 2010 Golf GTI Stage 2 + OZ ST LMs

I'm waiting until the car approaches 3 years, & will weigh up whether the issues I've had to that stage (if any) is worth investing in an extended warranty.

/knocks on wood
    MY16 MK7 Golf GTI
    - Manual - Sunroof - Folding Mirrors - Lock/Unlock Chirp - 4x Indicator Flash - Traffic - MK7.5 LED Tail Lights with Sweeping Indicators - Dynablink Sweeping mirror LEDs - White LED's on rear rego plate -

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Yeah, the warranty is VW factory, otherwise I wouldn't bother. The trouble is that it can only be picked up prior to delivery...

Quote Originally Posted by Ralfi View Post
    I'm waiting until the car approaches 3 years, & will weigh up whether the issues I've had to that stage (if any) is worth investing in an extended warranty.

/knocks on wood
    Aftermarket extended warranty is a pain in the a$$. Check out the fine print on those before you do them. VW extended warranty purchased BEFORE you drive away is a full extension of the factory warranty, and at 1500 for the 2 years seems like not too bad of a deal... BUT I would suggest WallySimmonds - wait until you are closer to the time, don't put it in the contract just now. Who knows, with the current issues they are having they may end up offering warranty as a discount or inclusion - if it's in your contract already it's too late. You can get this right up to the point of purchase.

Given the car is due to arrive at the end of the month, and VW have to do something 14 days prior to delivery, they're saying I have a choice till this Friday. I doubt very much it'll get included as part of this deal as I got them down to a very good price (imo) anyway.

That's their sales tactic; as others have said, there's many reasons to hold back until the point of purchase. You might mention in passing that you're impressed that Renault now offers a 5 year warranty (no, I wouldn't touch one, either....but VW is currently vulnerable in the market)
    2015 White German SUV
    2013 White German hatch
    2011 Silver French hot hatch
    2008 TR Golf GT TDI DSG

"Volkswagen’s 2 year unlimited kilometres Extended Warranty is only available for purchase from participating Volkswagen dealers at or before the time of first registration of a new Volkswagen vehicle. It may not be purchased after taking delivery of a vehicle."

Factory extended warranty < Three Year Warranty < Volkswagen Technology & Service | VW Australia

Until the day they register it you can choose.

Quote Originally Posted by WallySimmonds View Post
    Hey guys,

Have put an order in for a new Golf Highline and I've got the opportunity to extend out the warranty by 2 years to 5 for 15 hundy.

Now, I'm inclined to do it as I think I may end up keeping the car for a while, and will likely make it easier on resale if I decide to keep it for less time.

Anyone done this and reckon its worth it? I had heard some mumblings that the factory warranty had actually been extended on the DSG (my main point of concern) on the MK7's anyway..
    G'day WallySimmonds... I have recently (30 September) purchased the extended warranty for my R car. It is a full extension of the factory warranty and as you stated it must be purchased before the car leaves the dealership. The warranty cost me $1499. In my case I firstly confirmed the fact that it is the genuine factory warranty (they put that in writing for me), I also considered the cost acceptable, and I will own the car for more than the total 5 year term of the warranty. The dollars were important but my peace of mind is more important. So, for me, the decision was positive..
    My 2 cents worth mate...

R Wagon, White Oryx Pearl.....

Thanks for the replies guys. I've already paid my deposit/agreed on a price so my negotiating position is not good - as you say Harbour2929 I will most likely keep the car for 3 to 5 years and at the very least the warranty will help with resale (imo). 750 a year for a factory warranty on these things isnt bad. Be nice if it was standard like some of the other big manufacturers, but that's life when you want the fancy cars...
    Last edited by WallySimmonds; 13-10-2015 at 09:34 PM.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast