Support VWWC

View Poll Results: Did you buy an extended warranty for your MK7?

Voters
9. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

5 55.56%
  • No

4 44.44%
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Extended Warranty - discussion and questions

Users Country Flag

Got mine included in the price also, and it's a VW factory warranty, got a car that goes into the service book and everything! That's road assist for 5 years also.

Quote Originally Posted by Dutch77 View Post
    Thoughts? Read that fine print..

And enjoy taking that Alltrack on a nice holiday - $2,470 is enough for a few nice driving trips.
    I took the factory extended warranty as part of the deal, normally $1495, tbh only because they included it in a quote that was $200 cheaper than the nearest offer without the extended warranty.

From what I've found, the extended factory warranty is "100% backed by VW", but is re-underwritten, and roadside assist is provided by, Allianz. It's normal practice, even for insurers, to take on only risk up to a certain level, and sell off the rest to a reinsurer.

I also found a "Extended Warranty Insurance", underwritten by Allianz, white labeled as a VW product, but the terms appeared different to me.

One of the dealerships also offered me a 'mechanical guarantee' for another 3yrs on top of the extended period, but conditions included ALL servicing must be done at their dealership, etc, and their biggest selling point was that they'd give me breakfast when I brought it in for servicing. Based on previous experiences with this dealership (servicing and warranty claims), I didn't bother taking their offer into account, as there's no solid way to hold them accountable.

Users Country Flag
    so whats the deal with extended warranty?

with my mk5 I had the option to buy it till the 3yr original warranty ran out.
    was told when picking up the mk7 that it had to be purchased before picking up, thought it was a sales tactic as we were getting pressured to purchase lots of other things too.
    2008 Mk5 Golf GT TDI DSG
    2012 Mk6 Golf R DSG

Extended warranty for 90tsi

Hi all

I was wondering if anyone's purchased a warranty after their golfs 3 years is up? With the amount of issues mines had I'm extremely worried that come 18aug when it expires I'll be at the mercy of high repair bills and the unknown. Would like to know anyone who's brought an aftermarket warranty and any recommendations, I've been quoted about $1500 for another 3 years but how good 'tis warranty is, is anyone's guess, can't find much in the way of reviews of car warranties.

Thanks
    Nick

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My experience is several years old now, but it might still be relevant. I bought the "extended VW warranty" for my van, and needed it when my gearbox failed just before the warranty ran out. It was only then that I found out that Allianz made all the decisions about what could and could not be done under this warranty. After some delays Allianz decided that my gearbox should be repaired, not replaced. So my gearbox was removed and sent to "the experts" in Melbourne. It took a long time to be "fixed" and when I got my van back it was dangerous (sometimes you couldn't select any gears and it had a terrible shudder). There was a further long delay with much discussion between my dealer and Allianz about what to do next, and it wasn't until I started mentioning lawyers and compensation that Allianz finally agreed to a new replacement 'box. All in all I was without my van for 3 months !

So unless things have changed, the extended warranty sold to you as a VW warranty "the same as" the original factory-backed warranty you get for the first 3 years is most definitely not (the same). I suggest reading the fine print (terms & conditions etc) on any extended warranty VERY carefully before buying it. I know I will go over them with a fine tooth comb.
    2017 MY18 Golf R 7.5 Wolfsburg wagon (boring white) delivered 21 Sep 2017, 2008 Octavia vRS wagon 2.0 TFSI 6M (bright yellow), 2006 T5 Transporter van 2.5 TDI 6M (gone but not forgotten).

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345