Support VWWC

Thread: Cracked windscreen

Cracked windscreen

I have suffered a cracked windscreen (base 92TSI, 2016 model).

Started as a chip and small crack then by the time I got home, crack was 20cm.

I don't have the windscreen option on my insurance.

A couple of questions:

Recommended place to get a new windscreen installed (preferably Illawarra but can extend to northern Shoalhaven if warranted)

Should I go OEM or generic? If OEM, how can I guarantee I get what I'm paying for?

Until I get it fixed, is there any way I can stop/slow the crack extending? (eg, tape?)

Users Country Flag
    If you have a camera in the screen then you may need a calibration and in the UK it’s a extra £350, and you have to take the car to their workshops to test/calibrate it

Users Country Flag
    Anyone but Obriens as they charge like wounded bulls Had a screen go in my Cruiser rang Obriens $590 next week soonest.

Went to local guy who did our bus screens. $245 done in an hour and he told me they are the same screens Obriens use.

Look in the Yellows. and ask for a Factory VW screen will cost more but is better

No it will just go where it wants to as car flexes. Will probably only be the outside glass as laminated screens are made with a plastic sheet between 2 layers of glass.
    2021 Kamiq LE 110 , Moon White, BV cameras F & B
    Mamba Ebike to replace Tiguan

I had insurance cover on mine and managed to get the OEM screen fitted.
    Took it to O'Brien Ringwood and they did an awesome job. Looked just like it was out of the factory.
    MK7.5 R|Lapiz Blue|DAP|Sunroof|Tint
    SOLD MK7 GTI|DSG|Carbon Steel|Leather|Panoramic Sunroof|Bi-Xenon Lights|Driver Assist|Tint|Euro Plates
    SOLD MK6 GTI|5 Door DSG|Carbon Steel|Leather|Sunroof|Electric Driver Seat|MDI|Tint

Users Country Flag
    I'd buy the genuine screen, and maybe add windscreen cover. Some insurers cover it automatically. IMO for an extra $50 per year it is totally worth it, and hit them up for stone chips once a year. I went though 3 aftermarket screens on my mk6 R in the space of a month. None of them fit properly and the acoustic/insulation properties are rubbish. My insurer said enough is enough and ordered o'brien to install an OEM item.
    Last edited by CraigR; 10-01-2018 at 07:13 AM.
    | 2016 VW Golf R 7 | DSG | Pure White | Leather | Sunroof | Driver Assist | JB4 |
    | 2003 VW Golf SE | Auto | Silver | Sunroof |
    | 2010 VW Golf R 6 | Manual | Leather | ACC | 19s | Black Pack | GIAC Stage 2+ |

Users Country Flag
    I have a 6mm vertical crack in the lower middle of my screen. The crack is fine and on the outer layer of the glass. Should I use a windscreen repairer? I have a R with rain sensing but no ACC etc

Users Country Flag

HAd my Passat done last month Luckily on Insurance

However here are the costings

Windscreen (Factory) $667.60

Dont know what the guy charged for install but was over $500 for calibration and stuff on top of the screen.

Did a very tidy job though
    2021 Kamiq LE 110 , Moon White, BV cameras F & B
    Mamba Ebike to replace Tiguan