Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Coolant leak

Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by cardje View Post
    Attachment 27369Attachment 27370

See above is this an issue, moist in one area few drops no "puddle" also defined distilled water for me please.
    Can't really see from the photos. Soak it up with paper towel. Does it have a pink tinge? If not, it's probably just the A/C.

You can pick up distilled water from Kmart, supercheap auto etc. it's pure water without minerals and other crap in them (tap water with minerals in them can form hard deposit in the radiator). It's safe to dilute your existing coolant with distilled water.

Don't add more coolant in, mixing coolant is not a good idea.

Top it up with distilled water, if the warning doesn't come back, you are good. If it returns relatively quickly, you have a leak.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Golf MK7 103TSI Highline Wagon | Limestone Grey | DAP2
    Golf MK7 110TDI Highline Hatchback | Tungsten Silver | DAP

Quote Originally Posted by agentthumb View Post
    Can't really see from the photos. Soak it up with paper towel. Does it have a pink tinge? If not, it's probably just the A/C.

You can pick up distilled water from Kmart, supercheap auto etc. it's pure water without minerals and other crap in them (tap water with minerals in them can form hard deposit in the radiator). It's safe to dilute your existing coolant with distilled water.

Don't add more coolant in, mixing coolant is not a good idea.

Top it up with distilled water, if the warning doesn't come back, you are good. If it returns relatively quickly, you have a leak.

100% pink the liquid... so coolant leak?

Users Country Flag

GTI Coolant Warning

100% pink the liquid... so coolant leak?
    Most likely then. If it's not oily. Also check your coolant cap is done up properly.

Users Country Flag
    Water pump is a common leak on these, and is right above that area.

Keep topping up the coolant, until you can get it fixed.

I literally got the car today... I'm going to be calling the dealer tomorrow furious

Users Country Flag

GTI Coolant Warning

I literally got the car today... I'm going to be calling the dealer tomorrow furious
    Good luck. Hopefully you get it sorted painlessly

Ps. Congrats on your purchase. I'm sure you'll really enjoy it once the leak is sorted

Last edited by agentthumb; 30-12-2016 at 09:53 PM.

Users Country Flag
    I just had my water pump and thermostat replaced under warranty due to a leak, Mines a 2014 GTI. Looks like exactly the same issue.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Users Country Flag
    My Golf R 2014 had a small leak, it would alarm about a month before service. The first year they said maybe there was an air pocket, but the second year it happened they noticed a small leak around the pump seals. They ended up replacing pump and so far so good.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Users Country Flag
    My MY15 Golf GTI Performance has had a history of coolant loss.

Only a few months into ownership my wife had the coolant warning light come on whilst driving in the country. Long story short - the nearest dealer (who sold us the Golf coincidently) had the car for several days - thank goodness for VW Assist! - and could find no fault with the car, siting a possible air lock in the system.

A month ago prior to the 30,000 service the light came on again. The level was on minimum so I topped it up and I did this again a couple of weeks later. There were no visible signs of a leak - coolant on garage floor.

I mentioned this to the service advisor at the dealer when in for its service and I got a phone call during the day to authorise the replacement of the water pump. Hopefully the issue is now sorted.
    Biscay Blue MY10.5 Passat R36 Wagon
    Options: Sunroof, RNS510 Sat Nav, Dynaudio, Power Tailgate, ACC, RVC, BT 9w7, Tint and Factory Towbar.
    Atlantic Blue MY19.5 Golf GTI
    Options: Luxury Package and Sound & Style Package.

I have the same issue booked in next week. I told the dealer 4 times it was leaking and they ignored the issue and did not check.
    This time they can't escape it as it is so obvious. I have also complained about the suspension it makes a rattle sound on some bumps that they claim they can't find a fault with that either.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast