Support VWWC

Thread: Changing Oil and Filter (Self Servicing)

Users Country Flag

Changing Oil and Filter (Self Servicing)

Hi people

I am going to change the oil and oil filter for my Golf 7 (1.4L engine) this weekend. I was wondering does anyone know where is the oil filter located? I just don't want to remove any parts/covers which don't need to be remove to locate the oil filter.

Also do I need a special tool to remove the oil filter? or just the normal oil filter wrench will do? Thanks people as I never work on VW/European car before.

Users Country Flag
    Oil filter is a spin-on that's located on the bottom side of the motor at the front. You'll need to remove the plastic undertray to get at it.
    '07 Transporter 1.9 TDI
    '01 Beetle 2.0

Oil Change 1.4 TSI

Hi Guys,

My MK7 is only the humble 1.4TSI, but it's been great since buying it new 2 years ago. As it's mostly used for local running around (mainly by my other half), it's doing pretty low km's between the annual services so I'm aiming to do my own intermediate oil changes at the 6 mth intervals. I've done many oil changes on many cars, but some hints would be a great help if anyone has done it on this engine?? I read somewhere that the drain plug isn't the usual hex head, but not sure what I'm looking for or where it is positioned. Thanks in advance for your help

Users Country Flag
    Buy yourself a Torx screwdriver set which have the star shaped head. You cant do anything on a VW without a Torx bit set.

The sump is plastic on the current generation Golfs and has a hexagonal type shape pattern on it - so should be pretty easy to spot that at the bottom of the engine. Not sure if the sump plug is metal or plastic but i do believe it requires a Torx bit to remove.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucas_R View Post
    Buy yourself a Torx screwdriver set which have the star shaped head. You cant do anything on a VW without a Torx bit set.

The sump is plastic on the current generation Golfs and has a hexagonal type shape pattern on it - so should be pretty easy to spot that at the bottom of the engine. Not sure if the sump plug is metal or plastic but i do believe it requires a Torx bit to remove.
    Thanks for that. I have a Torx bit set, use it often on another car. I'll have a closer look, can't get over the sump being plastic!

Quote Originally Posted by Lucas_R View Post

I have a 2015 Golf 1.4l Comfortline and have done a couple of oil changes, the sump on mine is steel based on the threads that the sump plug screws into. The sump plug on mine is absolutely not plastic either

It is like any other sump plug that I have seen on may cars I have performed oil changes on, from memory I used a 19mm socket on mine, definitely not torx.

The Golf GTI uses a plastic sump plug though, you need a new one every oil change.

MK7 GTI DIY oil change - GOLFMK7 - VW GTI MKVII Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVII Forum

Users Country Flag
    Thanks for the info im considering doing the oil change / filter services myself now warranty has ran out .i do around 35000 km a year so its getting expensive . I found a leaflet in log book about some castrol edge oil and i think i can get it at local auto shops i think i might do that and get filters and sump washer from vw service department ..
    mk 7 golf 90 tsi comfortine dsg lime stone grey

Quote Originally Posted by nomodlowkmgti View Post
    Thanks for the info im considering doing the oil change / filter services myself now warranty has ran out .i do around 35000 km a year so its getting expensive . I found a leaflet in log book about some castrol edge oil and i think i can get it at local auto shops i think i might do that and get filters and sump washer from vw service department ..
    You can get filters etc delivered to your door from here. I have completed all services myself from new almost out of warranty now still using the original sump washer which is still sealing OK.

VW charge $5:00 each for replacement sump washers, which look the same as spark plug washers good for one application.

VW GOLF 7 FILTERS 1.4L 90TSI

Users Country Flag

i did my oil change i needed a 19mm socket for sump plug and oil filter wrench and torx bits to under plastic under car plastic cover . i used a t25 and t40 . i used castrol edge LL 5w-30 oil and k & n filter .Changing Oil and Filter (Self Servicing)-20170908_134156_1505020073544_resized-jpgChanging Oil and Filter (Self Servicing)-20170908_130250_1505020075384_resized-jpgChanging Oil and Filter (Self Servicing)-20170908_134251_1505020074406_resized-jpgChanging Oil and Filter (Self Servicing)-20170908_110101_1505020076544_resized-jpg
    Last edited by nomodlowkmgti; 10-09-2017 at 03:26 PM.
    mk 7 golf 90 tsi comfortine dsg lime stone grey