Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: CarPlay Impressions

Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Flipper Dog View Post
    Matts,
    same thing happen to me with android auto when first trying to set it up. First fault checked the cable, then the apps on the phone. A few restarts and curses then it gave up as a bad joke. Plugged in a few days later and started off first time, loaded the phone and no problems since. Looking back at it, may have been the t-shirt I was wearing which didn't connect well with the head unit No could not work out why it was so trying, so don't give up it will work itself out.
    Good to hear. I read a few reviews this afternoon and the overriding impression I'm getting is that Android Auto is basically in beta, even if Google are not admitting it themselves. I'm on the hunt for decent USB cables now, even though I have a few that definitely work with my PC.

Users Country Flag
    Bearing that in mind, do you think it's worth paying the extra $$$ for a MY16 Golf? Runout 90TSI's are pretty cheap atm.

I'm predicting Android Auto will have many discussion points. Might be best to split CarPlay & Android Auto into seperate threads so new users of one technology won't need to sift through a thread which has discussions on both, where confusion may ensue.

Phone...

Siri made making a call a very easy task. I asked to call someone, Siri then asked if I wanted to call their mobile or landline & through went the call. Call quality was pretty impressive, without echo or delay.

Messages...

Was able to send an SMS yesterday without too much hassle - I was a bit slow to respond the first time so picked up my pace second time around & off it went.

The reading out of the message confirmation was clear & gave the App an overall polished feel.
    MY16 MK7 Golf GTI
    - Manual - Sunroof - Folding Mirrors - Lock/Unlock Chirp - 4x Indicator Flash - Traffic - MK7.5 LED Tail Lights with Sweeping Indicators - Dynablink Sweeping mirror LEDs - White LED's on rear rego plate -

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by Ralfi View Post
    I'm predicting Android Auto will have many discussion points. Might be best to split CarPlay & Android Auto into seperate threads so new users of one technology won't need to sift through a thread which has discussions on both, where confusion may ensue.
    Good point. I'll hold off until I actually get my own car and write up a little review of AndroidAuto once I get it working. Unless of course someone beats me too it.

Quote Originally Posted by AJW View Post
    This long article from Arstechnica goes into Android Auto in depth.
    Android Auto review: A beautiful, but beta alternative to awful OEM solutions | Ars Technica
    fantastic...thank you!
    CarPlay Impressions
    2015 White German SUV
    2013 White German hatch
    2011 Silver French hot hatch
    2008 TR Golf GT TDI DSG

Quote Originally Posted by mattaus View Post
    Good point. I'll hold off until I actually get my own car and write up a little review of AndroidAuto once I get it working. Unless of course someone beats me too it.
    It took me a few goes to get Andriod Auto going. The problem was that I was using a Samsung usb cable on my Nexus 5, it charges the phone but couldn't connect, everything works fine once I use the Nexus(lg) usb cable.

As for Carplay, I nearly done my head in. Using iPhone 5s with firmware 7.1, once again charges the phone but cant connect. Keep on saying the UBS port is not supported try another USB port, looks like VW need to do a spell check on their next firmware. Googled around, iPhone 5s with 7.1 is fully support Carplay. I didn't want to upgrade to IOS 8.4.1 but guess it could be the problem, done the update..same issue. Changed to another apply lightning cable, still doesn't work. Bring the car to VW, and found that the problem is we have CARPLAY restriction on the iPhone. Everything works fine once we turn the restriction off in the phone.
    GOLF V GTI DSG Silver : On loan to parent until wife thinks I am a responsible driver
    GOLF VI 118TSi DSG Silver Leaf
    GOLF VII 110TSi DSG White
    GOLF VII GTI pp : on negotiation

Quote Originally Posted by sillygogo View Post

As for Carplay, I nearly done my head in. Using iPhone 5s with firmware 7.1, once again charges the phone but cant connect. Keep on saying the UBS port is not supported try another USB port, looks like VW need to do a spell check on their next firmware. Googled around, iPhone 5s with 7.1 is fully support Carplay. I didn't want to upgrade to IOS 8.4.1 but guess it could be the problem, done the update..same issue. Changed to another apply lightning cable, still doesn't work. Bring the car to VW, and found that the problem is we have CARPLAY restriction on the iPhone. Everything works fine once we turn the restriction off in the phone.
    I have an iPhone 5 (latest IOS) & used a 20mm USB-Lightning cable bought from Coles. Worked first & every subsequent time.

________

A little niggle - veering out of the CarPlay menu & into the VW menu is easy enough, but vice versa not so as you need to press the 'Menu' button & then select 'CarPlay'. It'd be good if there was a single button press required to get you back to the last CarPlay menu you were in.
    Last edited by Ralfi; 17-09-2015 at 05:06 PM.
    MY16 MK7 Golf GTI
    - Manual - Sunroof - Folding Mirrors - Lock/Unlock Chirp - 4x Indicator Flash - Traffic - MK7.5 LED Tail Lights with Sweeping Indicators - Dynablink Sweeping mirror LEDs - White LED's on rear rego plate -

Quote Originally Posted by Ralfi View Post
    I have an iPhone 5 (latest IOS) & used a 20mm USB-Lightning cable bought from Coles. Worked first & every subsequent time.

________

A little niggle - veering out of the CarPlay menu & into the VW menu is easy enough, but vice versa not so as you need to press the 'Menu' button & then select 'CarPlay'. It'd be good if there was a single button press required to get you back to the last CarPlay menu you were in.
    20mm cable, that is a good idea. For me the issue wasn't the cable but the restriction setting on the phone itself. I have one of those 3 in 50mm cable, wonder if it works. The rumor is that it will be wireless with IOS9, i guess just wait and see. I think it is still early days for Carplay and Android Auto maybe they can make it to it will go back to the Carplay last visit when you tab on the iPhone.
    GOLF V GTI DSG Silver : On loan to parent until wife thinks I am a responsible driver
    GOLF VI 118TSi DSG Silver Leaf
    GOLF VII 110TSi DSG White
    GOLF VII GTI pp : on negotiation

Users Country Flag
    Seems that both CarPlay and AndroidAuto are very much in Beta, though there seems to be a higher success rate with CarPlay. I have about 3 USB cables on me to test tomorrow at work. If I can get near the Scirocco again lol. That being said my own car is supposed to be in my hands some time next week, end of the month at the latest. Man I hope I can get it working in my own car lol!

Quote Originally Posted by sillygogo View Post
    It took me a few goes to get Andriod Auto going. The problem was that I was using a Samsung usb cable on my Nexus 5, it charges the phone but couldn't connect, everything works fine once I use the Nexus(lg) usb cable.
    My experience, at least with the Nexus 5, is there's another downside in that when you use the USB cable that communicates as well as charges, the charging is very slow...and in fact may not keep up with some battery intensive activities running on the Nexus. Result: at the end of your drive, you can find yourself with a very low battery in the phone CarPlay Impressions
    2015 White German SUV
    2013 White German hatch
    2011 Silver French hot hatch
    2008 TR Golf GT TDI DSG

Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast