Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: New Merc A Class takes the fight to VW Golf

New Merc A Class takes the fight to VW Golf

Quote Originally Posted by Candyman View Post
    Isn't that the whole point of turbocharging, allowing small capacity engines to compete with large capacity engines at the same time potentially providing less weight, more fuel economy ....
    The 135 is a TURBOcharged i6 engine.

A better comparison would be with the 125

Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by DoggieHowser View Post
    The 135 is a TURBOcharged i6 engine.

A better comparison would be with the 125
    I know mate, my point was that the turbo 4 from VW and Merc allows for comparison across 6's, NA and turbo.

Turbo 4s have particular nuances that lend themselves to comparison with 6's, normally aspirated or not
    8VSS2L/16 E9E9 XG MP SPP1 4ZD 6XK CSC5P with an extra free 10kW

I don't have arguments with smaller turbocharged engines. Only that like for like comparisons need to be made. I'd see the forced induction I6 as a match for an NA V8 for instance. And BMW does have a reasonably zippy turbocharged I4 engine in their line up.

AUSmotive.com » Mercedes A45 AMG priced from AU$74,900?

how much would that be on road, 80k? b/c it's fuel is 6.9l/100km it might be exempted from the LCT?

Quote Originally Posted by oshuyi View Post
    AUSmotive.com » Mercedes A45 AMG priced from AU$74,900?

how much would that be on road, 80k? b/c it's fuel is 6.9l/100km it might be exempted from the LCT?
    Luxury car tax applies normally at $58k? And then for low fuel economy cars it starts at $75k? I think
    2011 cw golf gti 3dr man-tint-rear cargo mat-weathershields-bluetooth-mdi-19" oz racing ultra leggera-mcgard lockbolts-boston acoustic pro60se-jl audio xd700/5-jl audio bass tube bb-w060p- titanium exhaust tips-eibach custom pro-kit-OPS-OSIR cf mirror covers and cf front lip-dieselgeek short shifter

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by walbjj View Post
    Luxury car tax applies normally at $58k? And then for low fuel economy cars it starts at $75k? I think
    Correct.. or to be precise $75,375 for fuel-efficient cars, $59,133 for other cars.

Although given the big strides in fuel efficiency I can see that 7.0l/100km threshold being reduced in the near future to knock out cars like this.

--- FS: 2016 Golf GTI 40 years, white, DSG, 18,xxxkm -------------------------------------------------------------------
    2019 Audi SQ5 | 2016 Golf GTI CS + OZ UL HLTs | Retired: 2018 Audi RS3 sportback + OZ Leggera HLTs
    2017 Golf R Wolfsburg Sportwagen | 2016 BMW 340i + M-Performance tune/exhaust | 2015 Audi S3 sedan
    2014 Golf GTI + OZ Leggera HLTs | 2012 Polo 77TSI (hers) | 2010 Golf GTI Stage 2 + OZ ST LMs

Had a test drive of the A250 yesterday.
    My initial impression is

1.engine note is rather pedestrian (almost diesel like) unless you really prod the throttle whereupon it then sounds purposeful and acceleration potential realised.

2.Ride is very firm and feels unsettled due to it being fitted with Run Flats. Certainly worst than my scirocco. and will certainly be a veto factor with this car

3.The gear select is column mounted and takes getting used to. Electronic parking brake takes some getting used to.
    Did not notice a D or S selection nor manual gear selection.
    With the 7 speed, freeway cruising is a very low rpm affair

4.Command system for sound and Nav is fiddly to use compared with RNS-510.

5.rear seat space is adequate but foot-well is deep while door sill is relatively high so egress will be more difficult vs Golf
    Last edited by mr gee; 31-03-2013 at 11:07 AM.
    Tig 162 R-Line; Audi TT

Quote Originally Posted by mr gee View Post
    My initial impression is

1.engine note is rather pedestrian (almost diesel like) unless you really prod the throttle whereupon it then sounds purposeful and acceleration potential realised.

2.Ride is very firm and feels unsettled due to it being fitted with Run Flats. Certainly worst than my scirocco. and will certainly be a veto factor with this car

3.The gear select is column mounted and takes getting used to. Electronic parking brake takes some getting used to.

5.rear seat space is adequate but foot-well is deep while door sill is relatively high so egress will be more difficult vs Golf
    The A250 in Australia does not have run flats. Interesting to hear your thoughts.
    MY10 Skoda Octavia vRS Wagon 2.0 TSI 6sp Man
    A250 Sport on order (impatiently waiting!)

Quote Originally Posted by mr gee View Post
    My initial impression is

just had a test drive in the a250 sport today for about 20 mins.
    what can i say, its a well put together car, very nicely done. smooth drive, very quiet, excellent nvh. much better refined than the gti.
    HOWEVER, and i had the same issue with the polo gti, the damn automatic gearbox is such a letdown. perhaps i dont know how to use it properly, but i find such a disparity between these paddle shifts compared to a manual gearbox in terms of control. there is no connection there. it doesnt change when i change. there is a lag.
    and then when i left it in auto mode, it was hunting and searching for gears going into roundabouts and down a hill.
    ill wait for the new manual s3 and see how that looks

oh, btw, anyone interested in an a45, there is a spare car avail in oct if u lay down money now. $85k driveaway

also, in response to this post, cant really talk much about the engine note, it wasnt outstanding, kind of bland.
    ride was far from firm. having owned an s2000, evo9 and b series race prepped civics, i know firm. and the a250 is very smooth.
    all in all, im not impressed enough by the a250 to consider it, and with the a45, i wouldnt look at it as the automatic gearbox is a X in my book.
    2011 cw golf gti 3dr man-tint-rear cargo mat-weathershields-bluetooth-mdi-19" oz racing ultra leggera-mcgard lockbolts-boston acoustic pro60se-jl audio xd700/5-jl audio bass tube bb-w060p- titanium exhaust tips-eibach custom pro-kit-OPS-OSIR cf mirror covers and cf front lip-dieselgeek short shifter

Users Country Flag

loving my a250. I agree in ride its far an away a clear step forward from the gti. a lot more refined, has better road holding literally hugs the road with better grip and traction putting power down. both inside and out a clear step forward as well. I still cant believe it has cost me pretty much what my gti was worth.

ps re the auto box it does learn your driving style shift pattern etc. theres a few shift modes as well, in sport, eco and M manual. I havent bothered too much with manual. been pretty happy between eco or sport
    Once had a Red mk6 GTI + DSG + leather + sunroof + mdi + towbar

now have a gorgeous Red Merc A250 AMG Sport

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast